Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another convertible top cry for help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Check your fluid level again remember it should be at the top line.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Check your fluid level again remember it should be at the top line.

Gus
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
.......and do a `Hard Reset´and reprogram the windows

FMO it is an eletric fault.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Fluid level is at the top line with the top up. I'll do a hard reset tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:05 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

A truly way out thought, here. The security module, under the boot fuse box, is associated with correct operation of the hood, amongst other things. If it has any damp or corrosion in the circuit board, then odd things will start to happen. Have you experienced any other issues, such as door locking problems? It can’t do any harm to clean and perhaps dry it off:
1. Disconnect the battery
2 locate the module, under the fuse box
3 undo the bolts and withdraw the module
4 disconnect the module from the wiring (if I rememer right, three connectors involved)
5 open the case, then withdraw the circuit board.
6 inspect it carefully. If it is damp, allow iit to dry fully.
7 clean the underside if the board with a new toothbrush, to remove any small areas of corrosion.
8 reassemble. Reconnect the battery and re-set the windows.

It might be an idea to take antistatic precautions while you do this. I carried out the above procedure with no problems, but I don’t know whether I was just lucky -other forum members might like to comment. Security modules are very expensive, so take care.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Diddion
A truly way out thought, here. The security module, under the boot fuse box, is associated with correct operation of the hood, amongst other things. If it has any damp or corrosion in the circuit board, then odd things will start to happen. Have you experienced any other issues, such as door locking problems? It can’t do any harm to clean and perhaps dry it off:
1. Disconnect the battery
2 locate the module, under the fuse box
3 undo the bolts and withdraw the module
4 disconnect the module from the wiring (if I rememer right, three connectors involved)
5 open the case, then withdraw the circuit board.
6 inspect it carefully. If it is damp, allow iit to dry fully.
7 clean the underside if the board with a new toothbrush, to remove any small areas of corrosion.
8 reassemble. Reconnect the battery and re-set the windows.

It might be an idea to take antistatic precautions while you do this. I carried out the above procedure with no problems, but I don’t know whether I was just lucky -other forum members might like to comment. Security modules are very expensive, so take care.
I will probably do this. I have had one consistent problem that is security related. If I lock the car, sometimes the alarm will go of for no reason. I wonder if you may be on to something.

I did a hard reset and no change.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:06 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Goodluck with that. Bear in mind that, if it does turn out to be the security module, the steps I mentioned still might not work. The alarm issue is an interesting pointer, though.

I think that what might be happening is that when you lock the car the passenger door remains unlocked - next time it happens look in the window to see the position of the latch. If this is the cause a temporary workaround is to lock the passenger door from the inside first, then leave the car and lock up. You may have to do so with the key, rather than the remote. When you unlock with the key, put it straight back to the ignition and turn on. This prevents an alarm.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:05 PM

I took the security module out and cleaned it. It looked in perfect condition. Put it back in and I of course have the same problem.

This issue is frustrating for me because I have taken most of this car apart, fixed and put it back together. It now runs great except for this problem which I've thrown a lot of money at. Still no love.

To recap, all hydraulic lines replaced, latch and rams redone by Top Hydraulics, fluid filled to top of line. I put the top down manually. Do a hard reset. Then when raising the roof it will get to the latch, the latch will pull the top down most of the way and then stall.

After weeks of it not working, at some point it will just start working correctly, and it may open and close 10 times without problem. Then when you least expect it, back to the same problem.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

It could be an intermittent microswitch. Gus and I have developed a top tester (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...st-box-198922/) which could be a last resort for these kinds of issues.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

John,

Can you make a video (with sound) of the pump reservoir during a raise-top operation that fails in the way you described?

As our resident physicist Sabrina once pointed out to me in a PM, it's possible for a seal to be permeable to air but not to fluid. So the long-shot I have in mind is air getting in there somehow. Evidence of this we might be able to see and/or hear if you can make a video.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis07
John,

Can you make a video (with sound) of the pump reservoir during a raise-top operation that fails in the way you described?

As our resident physicist Sabrina once pointed out to me in a PM, it's possible for a seal to be permeable to air but not to fluid. So the long-shot I have in mind is air getting in there somehow. Evidence of this we might be able to see and/or hear if you can make a video.
Are you thinking a video of the pump itself? Using the key in the door to raise the roof so that engine noise isn't present, so the pump can be heard?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
It could be an intermittent microswitch. Gus and I have developed a top tester (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...st-box-198922/) which could be a last resort for these kinds of issues.
If all else fails, this will be my next step.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johns55
Are you thinking a video of the pump itself? Using the key in the door to raise the roof so that engine noise isn't present, so the pump can be heard?
Yes, the pump, specifically the reservoir. Been done here before. Easy with a helper. No need to use key in door; use console rocker with engine off. Your call of course.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I had a death in the family and have not had time to get back to this problem. I'll work on it next week.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 PM

I made a short video of the pump while raising the top. The little surge of fluid about 10 seconds in is when the latch tries to close. Any thoughts?

Old 05-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

I'm getting a "video unavailable" message on my end.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

The hex nut on top of the tank. Is the O ring seal ok?

Old 05-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

You also might find this of interest...........

JagRepair.com - A Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Hope this helps!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:21 PM

Gus has been very kind with his time trying to help me. He mentioned cleaning the latch ram. I did that today, cleaned with WD40 then lubed with white lithium grease. Did a hard reset and still a no go. I also replaced the o ring on the hex nut at the top of the tank. Still no good.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

Did you read the article about the latch? How to adjust it if its not actually latching?

Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by frankc
Did you read the article about the latch? How to adjust it if its not actually latching?
Yes, that's one of the first things I did when this problem started.