XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another convertible top cry for help

Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
There is an adjuster which moves the top of the door window inboard / outboard and it does not require removing the door panel.

Pull the lens covering the splash light. There's a little clip holding it that you can free by inserting a flat screw driver from below ... you'll get it after a little trial-and-error. You'll see a hole in there, and within the hole is a thingy which accepts a hex key ... can't remember the size. Turning that will adjust the window ... again, can't remember which direction of rotation moves the window which way.

Don't twist too hard if you feel resistance; should not require a lot of force to do the adjustment.
Thank you for that bit of info.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
When the roof closed is selected the front windows should drop a little first to allow the roof to align without interference of the windows. When the roof is closed the front windows go back up and the rear windows close. I would see if the front windows are programmed and you can check this when the windows are up and you open the door they should drop and when you close the door they should go back up.

Link to window reprogram JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Hi Gus, Yes the windows do move down when opening or closing the roof. It's just that even in the down position, to convertible top rubber seal still contacts the windows by a good amount.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 PM

Just thinking out loud, it could also be that the windows are adjusted too high. When the top is closed and the windows go back up, it actually moves the top up a little bit.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 734 Posts

John, that is going to put a lot of stress on the window motor. There is adjustment on the top and the windows.
Wayne

Old 06-07-2017, 09:33 PM

An update. I haven't had time to do the window adjustment but I am pretty sure the window is my problem. If I open the roof manually, and then close it using the switch, with the windows rolled down, the top closes and latches every time. It will then open as it should with the windows up. As soon as I try to close it with the windows up, it will stall at the latch closing sequence.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:50 AM

Ok, so the saga continues. After raising and lowering the roof multiple times, it seems the problem is not just the window alignment. I would say out of every 5 times raising the roof, one on the times the latch will stall trying to close. Then the system goes out of sync. All of the other times the roof raises and the latch closes the top.

If the top closes on it's own, it will always open on it's own.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:25 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Have you had the latch rebuilt?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
Have you had the latch rebuilt?
I have not. It looks like I will be sending it in for repair this week.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM

An update. I sent the latch to Top Hydraulics for repair. I also purchased a complete set of hoses (6). Everything installed and I have the same problem. Here is what I did.

1. Installed all new hoses and latch. Rams were redone by Top Hydraulics a couple of years ago.
2. Fresh fluid
3. Exercised the top up and down switch many times to fill the system with fluid and get the air out.
4. After the top and latch finally started moving, everything was out of sync so the latch would not close.
5. I lowered the top manually, and closed the latch. Disconnected the battery and did a reset. Let the car sit for about 1/2 hour with battery disconnected.
6. Hooked up the battery and ran the top.

This is what's happening now. The top closes as it should. The latch raises but when the top is about 1/2 way up, the latch starts to close. The top of course then hits the partially closed latch and stalls.

I've done this about 5 times with the same results. Any thoughts?

Old 02-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

First check the Latch Closed switch and lubricate it with WD40. It is a good cleaning solvent and make sure the linkage for the switch moves freely.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...tchRepair3.jpg

Link JagRepair.com - A Jaguar Repair Information Resource

When you replaced the hoses did you unplug the header plug? If you did be sure you replugged it into the plug to the left the light plug is on the right.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
First check the Latch Closed switch and lubricate it with WD40. It is a good cleaning solvent and make sure the linkage for the switch moves freely.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...tchRepair3.jpg

Link JagRepair.com - A Jaguar Repair Information Resource

When you replaced the hoses did you unplug the header plug? If you did be sure you replugged it into the plug to the left the light plug is on the right.
Hi Gus, Yes I cleaned everything while I had the latch out. Cleaned and lubricated with white lithium grease. I did disconnect the header plug since I had to take the header and A pillar covers out to run the new lines. I'll put the header back and plug everything in and retry. Thank you.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

hi John,
The latch raises but when the top is about 1/2 way up, the latch starts to close. The top of course then hits the partially closed latch and stalls.
i had a very similar effect when i did my hoses 2 years ago. it turned out that i had confused the forward and return line at the latch connections.

it happened despite high caution, not least because the hoses are routet from the right rear to front left of the car.

i´m pretty sure that you´re able to solve the problem bei changing the two hose fittings at the latch cylinder.

good luck,

fritz

The following users liked this post:
johns55 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I had a similar problem with my roof. I have read your topic from beginning to end and I know you say you have tried this. But humour me. Do a window reset. Get into car. Key in just before turning to start position. Both windows all the way down till you hear the faint click. Then all the way up till you hear the faint click. Once done try your roof.

I thought I had kn^^^^^^ed my roof but the window reset trick worked. Cant do any harm can it?

Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by flatsix
hi John,

i had a very similar effect when i did my hoses 2 years ago. it turned out that i had confused the forward and return line at the latch connections.

it happened despite high caution, not least because the hoses are routet from the right rear to front left of the car.

i´m pretty sure that you´re able to solve the problem bei changing the two hose fittings at the latch cylinder.

good luck,

fritz
Well I have an embarrassing story. First off, you were correct. The top is working now. Thank you. I had a comedy of errors that got me to this mistake. When I first hooked everything up, I had to bleed and get the system filled with fluid. Trying the top about 10 times and getting a lot of bubbles, the top finally started moving. First it would go up 1/4 of the way, and then each time after it would go up a little more.

The latch however never moved. At that point, I thought I might have hooked up the latch cables backwards. I went to the pump and reversed the latch cables. As soon as I did this, the latch started working, although not correctly.

So it seems I had the latch hose hooked up correct, moved them and messed myself up. What an idiot

At this point, the top is working. Thanks to everyone.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Just so glad you got it sorted. No doubt someone in the future will come across this thread and learn from it.

Happy motoring and well done for sorting it!

The following users liked this post:
b6283 (06-01-2019)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Nice catch by "flatsix" on this one.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Good result. Hope it rains a lot, now!!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Well I have an embarrassing story.
Don`t be severe with yourself, those things happen and that's just the way it is.
Fine that it works up to now, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Fritz

Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Great news!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Guess what? I'm back. Since I fixed the top, it has worked for 10 or so top up and downs. Weather has been extra cold so not too much opportunity to put the top down. Last week we had a warm day, put the top down, the latch didn't go down. Man, here we go again. Put the top back up at the end of the trip (it always goes up fine) and I had to close the latch manually. It is now doing the exact same thing it did before I did the extensive fixes. Here's the list of what I've done.

1. Rams and latch redone by Top Hydraulics
2. All hoses replaced with Top Hydraulics hoses
3. All components in the header cleaned and lubed
4. Fresh hydraulic fluid.

The pump seams to work fine so no work done on that. HELP

Search this Thread