XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna mast broken

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Antenna mast broken

Alright I tried something simple, replacing the antenna mast, how hard can that be. I followed the instructions posted on the site thinking this should not take long, wrong. I cannot get the old mast out of the base. I removed the entire unit and took apart the housing, removed the motor and such, and tried to extract what was left from the silver guide thingy with no luck. It did come partly out with the help of parts spray, but no cigar. Can you buy just this part without getting the entire motor assy, or am I the only one to have this issue?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I found my replacement on ebay
Jaguar XKR AM/FM Power Antenna MAST 2000-2005 New | eBay

It's just the mast with toothed drive cable, instructions come with and is very easy to do especially if you know there's no old drive cable stuck on the spool~just remove top nut (14mm) have someone turn on radio while you insert cable with teeth facing right of the vehicle. Motor will draw in cable and mast, replace top nut and done!

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (06-10-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 AM

Thanks, but my question is if I can't get it out, which at this point the guide is toast(silver stem on housing), can I buy this separate, or do I have to get the whole antenna assy?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaysjag
Thanks, but my question is if I can't get it out, which at this point the guide is toast(silver stem on housing), can I buy this separate, or do I have to get the whole antenna assy?

Not 100% sure what you mean here, are you referring to the "nut" you undo with 14mm wrench? Mine was stuck on the outer sleeve due to it being splayed out-had to cut the sleeve to remove "nut"

If that's not the case, please feel free to pm me with a pic or further explanation.

jaysjag (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM

David, it is the silver guide that is mounted inside the black housing. It (guide ?)goes from the black housing up through the finder where you screw on the nut. I could not get the old antenna out so I removed the whole unit to work on the brench. After several tries to remove the old one, I screwed up this guide beyond repair. So needed to know if I can replace just this piece, or do I need the whole unit.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM

I think the guide piece you are referring to is a silver sleeve around 3" long the mast slips through? If this is the case, no problem it comes with the new mast. If its something else could you send a pic?

When I changed out my mast, this is the piece I had trouble with as the nut was stuck on it, with no hacksaw around I pulled it apart with a set of vice grips!

jaysjag (06-08-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 07:08 PM

Here is a pic dave, this part mounts inside the plastic motor housing. the top part had the nut on it, and the bottom is inside the motor housing.

Attached Thumbnails Antenna mast broken-antenna-photo.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Might be time to plug the hole and go with an internal antenna.?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default ^^^

That's my plan...I never listen to radio anyway.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Hi Jaysjag,
Thats not the part I was thinking of and I don't know if that is replaceable! Unfortunately you might be looking at a new antenna. If you have a wrecking yard or breakers nearby see if they have one from any 96 or newer Jaguar of any model. That said, you still might be looking at a mast replacement (item from eBay) like I did.

There's other options, like Abby's Guy plug and instal internal; instal an inexpensive generic rubber shorty (can't believe I suggested that!) or a manual metal one.

I repaired my antenna because I want my car to be as new and in working order, dont particularly like the antenna up (looks odd IMO) so I'm considering a switch so I can listen to stereo and keep antenna down.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and keep us posted!

Cheers!

jaysjag (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

You may have gone too far with the dismantling to be able to salvage the aerial.

JAGUAR XK8 & XKR - Electric Aerial.pdf

Now you've detached the tube in your pic, is the mast or the remnants of it (item 3 in the above drawing) not visible?

Graham

jaysjag (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 01:29 PM

GGG. No that's the part I was trying to get out, it was like someone welded it in. I was thinking about one of the univerisal ones from jc witney, aside from the signal connection it looks like it would work.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysjag
GGG. No that's the part I was trying to get out, it was like someone welded it in. I was thinking about one of the univerisal ones from jc witney, aside from the signal connection it looks like it would work.
The difference with a universal aerial would be fixing the bottom of it to prevent flexing which could damage the rear wing. Provided it could be attached in a similar way to the steady bracket on the base of the original Jaguar aerial, you should be OK.

Have you tried opening the black motor housing to determine why the old mast was stuck in solidly?

Graham

jaysjag (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 PM

I dissembled the housing to extract the silver guide tube in hopes of removing the old anntena, but wound up pulling the treated post out. From the description and pics it looks to have the same mounting pattern as the orginal. I used the verify fit on their website. For $60.00(verses 300) I felt it would be worth a try.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I swear, is there anything easy whatsover on this car. I should not have to take this in for an antenna replacement. My old one was bent or something and would not retract. So I read the forums and the instructions, supposed to be a piece of cake. Remove the retaining bolt, turn on the radio and pull hard on the antenna, put the new one in ad turn off the radio and the teeth will grab. Yea right. Like the poster earlier in this thread, the old one does not come out. It seriously is like its WELDED IN THERE. Now I have no antenna and no radio. What a PITA! ugh. Any suggestions on how to get whats left of it out? The cable came out intact. If I could just get this end piece out, then it would be a piece of cake. I have the nav system, CD player in the way of removing the whole dang thing and I do not want to go there.

I broke the dang antenna trying to remove it. No it does not just come out when pulling up on it.

Yeah right....I don't think so....

From the inside the black top sleeve goes into the rubber gromet on the outside.

Now I am stuck with this and a useless waste of a new antenna....