Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leak

Hi

I just bought my first jaguar its a 2002 XK8. I noticed it has a leak behind the passenger side tire. It doesnt overheat but i do have go put water in it every once in a while. Can anyone help?

Last edited by GGG; 04-15-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 04-15-2017, 05:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mikeguy,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK8/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Mikeguy (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Are you sure its coolant? not just the A/C condensation draining out?

Old 04-15-2017, 05:24 PM

Yes its coolent.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeguy
I noticed it has a leak behind the passenger side tire.
As everyone here, I would recommend you address this. The engine is a high flow, low volume system, so it heats up quickly, but is also not keen on leaks.

Best guess, is the infamous "Norma" connector. It is a "quick connect" type union, useful during manufacture. You should see it from the engine compartment, right on top of the catalytic converter. Normally, the cooling fluid (orange, DEX-COOL) leaves a white residue when it evaporates, so you can typically trace leaks. Some folks replace the o-ring, other just hack a replacement based on plumbing supplies.

If you get frustrated with the guessing game, you can do a pressure test. Reputedly, the Harbor Freight kit has an adapter for our cars.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Awesome . Thanks I will check it out . And keep you posted on my progress

Old 04-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

The coolant overflow tank is inside that fender well. Pop the plastic fender liner out and take a look. Could just be that the plastic overflow tank or its connecting hose is leaking.

The following users liked this post:
toaster (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Thanks I'll check that out and keep you posted

Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Which tire. Passenger side could be front or back. Could be left or right.

I had a leak behind the front left. Turned out to be transmission fluid from the trans cool line.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

Owner has to "Add Water or Coolant." Cooling system is leaking. Passenger right front area has the overflow "can" behind fender liner. Could be the Rad. cap is bad, the attachment hose leaking or , "can" is leaking. Next is the Hose fitting near the cat. converter on right side mentioned above. one can visually inspect this fitting by looking near the Right Cat. Generally these items cause the leaks noted above.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the help . I apprecate it .

Old 04-16-2017, 10:01 AM

The leak is behind the passenger tire .

Old 04-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Default Thanks Everyone

Wow what a great place . You guys have given me a lot of great advise . I cant thank you enough . I'll let everyone know how it goes . Thanks Mike

Old 04-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Superstitious about reading problem threads

It is uncanny the number of times I have stumbled upon a thread here talking about some problem and almost no sooner than I finish reading it, I end up with the same problem

Anyway, my car had been just fine until I came across this thread and foolishly decided to read:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...03-xkr-176108/

Almost the next day I discovered a few drops of coolant on my garage slab, sort of to the rear of the engine near the center. I put off dealing with it for a while and then the other day bit the bullet and brought it to my local guy, Rene (the father of Chris of Mina Gallery). He quickly concluded it was some fitting on the "spider hose", as he called it (others call it the octopus hose) and possibly also the expansion tank.

He fixed some fitting on the spider hose and was also going to replace the expansion tank but the one he received was funky looking so he ordered another. He did the expansion tank replacement yesterday while I waited and showed me the old one. What a piece of work. There were several obvious places of minor leaks (seam of the thank, fittings that are attached to the tank) and he suspects that was the main source of the leaks.

Rene told me to check the garage floor over the next several days to make sure he caught everything--he thinks there may be one more minor leak with the spider hose. He hates dealing with that hose since in replacing it you disturb so many other things.

Doug