XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Creative ideas? Lost locking pin for puddle light connector.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Any Creative ideas? Lost locking pin for puddle light connector.

Hi Guys, I took off the passenger door card (the inner door pannel) and reached over to disconnect the puddle light's connection (the light in the lower outside corner of the door). This connection has a U shaped metal spring bracket, picture 3 sides of a square, that slips on and rides in a groove on the female connector. This groove is shared by the male connector on the door so when you mate the connectors, the shared groove is occupied by the metal spring bracket securing the connection. Bad luck, this time I was thrilled that I could get to move the bracket and looked forward to releasing the connector with just my fingers instead of hunting for a tiny screw driver, pow - it shot off into the void. It would be a miracle to find it now.

The connection opens so easily without the locking bracket, I don't think I can get away with omitting it. So now I've got to design something to secure it so I can put the door back together later tonight or tommorrow morning. The lost bracket is such a small guage that I don't think metal tie wire I have laying around would work. Might you have any ideas what I could substitute for this one? The best thing I can think of right now is to strand out a piece of copper speaker wire and try to wrap it around, but in my heart I don't think that will work because the groove the lost bracket rides in terminates before the bottom of the connection (remember I mentioned it was a 3 sided square - there is no "bottom" on the lost bracket, so the wrapped speaker wire will not ride in the groove).

I appreciate the brainstorming. Maybe one of you has run into this before.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Was able to secure it with a thin wire tie.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

If it doesn't hold look behind the fender on the drivers side, inside the wheel arch liner, on the back of the leaper badge should be the same connector which is for a side repeater which the US market does not use but the UK does..... Nick that one!

Don't ask me why but the righthand does not have one or is much more well hidden!

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
If it doesn't hold look behind the fender on the drivers side, inside the wheel arch liner, on the back of the leaper badge should be the same connector which is for a side repeater which the US market does not use but the UK does..... Nick that one!

Don't ask me why but the righthand does not have one or is much more well hidden!
Excellent thought! The US cars carry a spare!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

I always use just a dab of blue rtv, next time you have to take it off comes off with modern force, but not enough to make you mad lol