XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone powder coat their standard wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Anyone powder coat their standard wheels?

Was wondering if anyone has powder coat OEM wheels in black? I'm curious to see how they'd look. I was quoted for $750, but for that price I may as well save and get some new ones, I think lol

Old 03-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by lossking_

Was wondering if anyone has powder coat OEM wheels in black? I'm curious to see how they'd look. I was quoted for $750, but for that price I may as well save and get some new ones, I think lol
Here you go.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell
Here you go.

Hmm that actually doesn't look too bad. Thanks! I wasn't expecting that at all lol

Old 03-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Couple more for you. Painted rather than powder coated as the mag guy recommended paint as it is easier to touch up if you curb a rim- who knows if he was right...

It's all personal preference but I like mine with all the orange reflectors and side indicators in clear and with black wheels, different car colours would have different outcomes though.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by woox4
Couple more for you. Painted rather than powder coated as the mag guy recommended paint as it is easier to touch up if you curb a rim- who knows if he was right...

It's all personal preference but I like mine with all the orange reflectors and side indicators in clear and with black wheels, different car colours would have different outcomes though.

Car looks amazing with those wheels in black. What size are they?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Default bolt pattern

btw, do you know if the bolt pattern for the xk8 and xkr are the same? looking up some options on carid.com and the xk8 has better option with still keeping wider tires in the back

Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Car looks amazing with those wheels in black. What size are they?
19 inch rims. I believe the XK8/R stud pattern is the same.

The following users liked this post:
lossking_ (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Was wondering if anyone has powder coat OEM wheels in black? I'm curious to see how they'd look.
Have you thought of going in the other direction and use plasti-dip? It is not terribly durable apparently, but it also means you could easily change your mind if it does not accomplish the look you are looking for because it peel right off. Cheap, DIY, Lots of videos on youtube...

Next, I would be looking into painting them black for the simple reason that it is easier to fix. Just about every wheel repair shop can handle painted wheels. I believe that powder coat (and chrome) are much more durable, but also much harder/expensive to repair.

Last, if you look online for factory wheels, be ready to find lots of catalogs, but very little inventory, if any.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following 2 users liked this post by fmertz:
Johnken (03-22-2017), toaster (03-24-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Have you thought of going in the other direction and use plasti-dip? It is not terribly durable apparently, but it also means you could easily change your mind if it does not accomplish the look you are looking for because it peel right off. Cheap, DIY, Lots of videos on youtube...

Next, I would be looking into painting them black for the simple reason that it is easier to fix. Just about every wheel repair shop can handle painted wheels. I believe that powder coat (and chrome) are much more durable, but also much harder/expensive to repair.

Last, if you look online for factory wheels, be ready to find lots of catalogs, but very little inventory, if any.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
I thought about it in the very beginning, but I don't want it to look too cheap. Still thinking about just getting some new ones and setting up. Some good 20 inch wheels would look nice. I might even go silver instead of black. I've been looking all week

Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I recommend the plastidip if you want to see how a look would well, look. I would use it for proof of concept only.

Painting wheels is not too hard and what I'd recommend here. I like a 2k paint setup and just paint the wheels. Using JBWeld to build up any scuffs, sand them down and any tiny pin ****** filled with good old bondo glazing and spot putty for the last layer and then prime and paint. It's a lot of work, but looks great and doesn't cost much. I prefer to leave the orange peel on daily driver wheels, and toy cars, I sand and polish the clear to mirror level.

Just did it on an Audi I sold maybe a year ago. Paint looked like new on the wheels 3 years after I did it.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Sure did, heavy metallic silver!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Richxk8
Sure did, heavy metallic silver!

wow those look brand new!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

That's what my wheel guy did...heavy metallic silver. They look like alloy at two feet away just don't need polish. The brake dust still sucks though, but even the acid I spray on then to get it off doesn't hurt the paint. After 2 years they still look great.
I think he did them like that in case he ever has to go back into them...he knows I hate curb rash on wheels and knows if they need more attention it's going to be him that does it. He tells me he can't do anything with chromed ones.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

the wheels on my x-type sport are powder coated. the prior owner curbed them so badly, you could grate cheese on them. now, they look brand new. its amazing what they can do.
this car is for sale now

Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Powder coating vs painting, We have a sign fabrication shop. I have not had good results with powder coating. We have had numerous sign frames painted over the years we have been in business and the painted frames hold up much longer than the powder coated frames. In 2004 we won a contract to make twelve lights for Hero Street Park. Three being 24 foot long and straight poles. The remainder were 20' x 6' foot long. The specifications called for powder coating from a local company who primary business is supplying John Deere, Caterpillar and Case/IH. The problem was the 20' x 6' would not fit in their ovens. The openings were only 5' The city allowed us to paint the remaining light poles. I examined these light poles two months ago the three powder coated poles are now rusting. It looks like the powder coating is burning off, the painted poles look as good as the day we installed them. I do know preparation is the key to any coating adhering. I know as a fact these pieces were blasted down to bare metal.