Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Dip and Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts
Question Automatic Dip and Window Problems

I noticed a few days ago that my driver's window wasn't closing upon closing the door. Similar to the issue caused by a failing battery. Except, my battery is fairly new and the passenger window is not having the problem. If I reprogram the window it works again correctly for some time. (Not sure how long) It's been about a week between reprograms. However, most unusual is that, along with the window forgetting its position, the automatic dip has ceased to work at all. It's a feature I had fallen in love with after learning of its existence here in the forums.

I hope this isn't a failing microswitch.

I apologize beforehand for any late replies. This is this semester's last week of class and next week we have the finals. So I will be quite busy and might not have time to check in as often as I would like.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-03-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I noticed a few days ago that my driver's window wasn't closing upon closing the door. Similar to the issue caused by a failing battery. Except, my battery is fairly new and the passenger window is also having the problem. If I reprogram the window it works again correctly for some time. (Not sure how long) It's been about a week between reprograms. However, most unusual is that, along with the window forgetting its position, the automatic dip has ceased to work at all. It's a feature I had fallen in love with after learning of its existence here in the forums.

I hope this isn't a failing microswitch.

I apologize beforehand for any late replies. This is this semester's last week of class and next week we have the finals. So I will be quite busy and might not have time to check in as often as I would like.

It is almost certainly the battery. Are you driving the car much less than usual?

It also could be something staying on and draining it, or a premature battery failure, or a bad alternator.

Get hold of a multi-meter and measure the voltage after not running the car overnight with the engine off.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have a multi-meter.

As for the driving; really short trips every couple days or so. Every couple of weeks or so I have a long trip to my mum's.

This started happening right about the time I allowed my mum to drive the car and had to readjust the mirrors last Wednesday. (Before Thanksgiving, I had a 2.5 hour trip.)

I'll check to see if anything is staying on in the car. I usually leave my headlights in auto position as well as the electrochromic mirror. It might be that I could've left my phone's charger connected to the car.

Finally, if it is my battery, then I've got a bit of a pickle. My boot is not opening with the key anymore. (Key in slot and twist) My remote seems to be dead as well. I changed its battery a week a go with no results. I can only open my boot via the button on the dashboard.

I noticed I made a mistake in my OP. The passenger window is NOT having this problem.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-03-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Mistake in OP
Old 12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

OK, I still think the battery is most likely, but if the problem is NOT also with the passenger window also it could also be a position sensor in the driver window.

Take your battery back and get it checked. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable to get your remote working again. Sometimes the door module does not reset properly after the battery is reconnected and it takes a few tries....but it should be done with a fully charged battery.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
OK, I still think the battery is most likely, but if the problem is NOT also with the passenger window also it could also be a position sensor in the driver window.

Take your battery back and get it checked. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable to get your remote working again. Sometimes the door module does not reset properly after the battery is reconnected and it takes a few tries....but it should be done with a fully charged battery.
Ok, I'll do that. I'll report back tomorrow at the earliest.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Good luck with finals!

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't taken the battery to get checked but, today I got the automatic dip working again. Apparently you have to have the passenger mirror selected before pulling back on the toggle when in reverse. Today I didn't get the window problem either.

Everything seems to be working perfectly.

However, I still have the boot lid problem and the remote as well.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Check the electrolyte level in the battery. Warm weather will lead to evaporation. Add only distilled water as needed.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
Check the electrolyte level in the battery. Warm weather will lead to evaporation. Add only distilled water as needed.
What do you call warm weather? Over here we've been having a few consistent weeks of rain. In fact, november this year broke the record rain for PR in something like a million years. Our temperatures have been hovering between 26ºC and 31ºC these past couple of months.

How do I check the electrolyte level?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts
Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default John Colucci3

I assume by "dip" you mean the windows opening a bit when you open the door, then closing when you shut the door. I'm having that problem with both windows( both open a bit when the doors are opened, but will not close when the doors shut) and would like to trace the problem myself. Any suggestions?
Also what do you mean by "reprogram" which fixed your window problem.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi John,
This is usually the first signs of a failing battery.
First, give your battery a full charge.

Then to reprogram the window memory, hold the button in the down position until you hear a faint click. Then hold the button in the up position until you hear a faint click.

Do this with ignition on, doors closed and windows fully up to start with.

You should be ok after that,

Hope this helps,

Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Johncolucci3
I assume by "dip" you mean the windows opening a bit when you open the door, then closing when you shut the door. I'm having that problem with both windows( both open a bit when the doors are opened, but will not close when the doors shut) and would like to trace the problem myself. Any suggestions?
Also what do you mean by "reprogram" which fixed your window problem.

No, by dip, I mean the passenger side rear view mirror. When you put the car in reverse and nudge the mirror adjust toggle, the mirror will automatically dip for backing out. If you nudge again, it will dip even lower. It's very useful for parallel parking.

By reprogram, I mean, cycling the windows up and down. First, fully down until you hear a faint click, then up until you hear that faint click again. Then cycle them once more to make sure they learned their correct position.

I haven't had both problems in a week...

My only problem right now is opening the boot with the key.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Hi John,
This is usually the first signs of a failing battery.
First, give your battery a full charge.

Then to reprogram the window memory, hold the button in the down position until you hear a faint click. Then hold the button in the up position until you hear a faint click.

Do this with ignition on, doors closed and windows fully up to start with.

You should be ok after that,

Hope this helps,
Thank you very much,that reprogramming solved the problem.