XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better rear speakers for an XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Better rear speakers for an XK8?

I have an XK8 with a 'standard' CD/radio.
The sound isn't bad, but is nowhere near as good as my old 'S' Type.
Would new/better rear speakers help?
If so, any suggestions?
I DON'T want to hack the car about in any way, or fit 'extra' pods/boxes/gubbins.
I just want to upgrade the speakers if it will make a difference.
If not, can someone please tell me so, so that I stop thinking about it.
Roy.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

I swapped mine --- a massively overcomplicated job --- and made the mistake of not putting the best ones available. I don't get very good bass, and I'm pretty sure I got the polarities right. There are numerous discussions about the best speakers for these little enclosures here, but if yu can't get a bunch of good responses I'll dig out all the stacks of lit I have stuck away. They are 6 or 6.25 or 6.5 inch. Depends on the speaker and frame. Do you have the Alpine or the HK?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

replacing the speakers will definitely help, get good component sets, and if you can afford it, a new amplifier as the old one will most likely not give the new speakers what they need.

I'm a HUGE fan of Polk Audio MMC, or the older gen Momo series speakers. I have 6-1/2 components up front and 5-1/4 components in the rear, plus a separate sub. But even without the sub, you can drive the smaller woofers more than the originals.

If you have a convertible, just upgrading the front with a 6-1/2 " set, and replacing the rears with 6-inch woofers, that may be all you need to be content. Kicker and JL Audio make these size units, and many of the members have completed the kicker swap and like the results. The link above is from one of our members Gus who led the kicker revolution, so to speak.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roymattblack
I have an XK8 with a 'standard' CD/radio.
The sound isn't bad, but is nowhere near as good as my old 'S' Type.
Would new/better rear speakers help?
If so, any suggestions?
I DON'T want to hack the car about in any way, or fit 'extra' pods/boxes/gubbins.
I just want to upgrade the speakers if it will make a difference.
If not, can someone please tell me so, so that I stop thinking about it.
Roy.
Hi, pointless replacing speakers without adding an amplifier, especially on the base system. The factory speakers are optimised for the best sound possible with the limmited power output of the head unit. Installing better quality speakers will give the impression of reduced sound quallity as the output from the head is compromised. I tried it, i just changed the front door speakers with a good set of mid range and separate tweeters. It sounded worse than the cheap Phillips factory units, but when i fitted a separate amp the difference was sensational. In short if you want better sound quality, you need two decent speakers powered by a suplimentary amplifier.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Kicker speakers

Just want to say I did the Kicker swap noted above and the difference is amazing. A little work with a dremel tool (I paid to have it done). Sound is like day and night. I also have a 12" fosgate speaker in the trunk but the kickers made a bigger difference.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

good deal enderle, thanks for chiming in with your input!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

If you have the standard radio and speakers there's little reason not to upgrade to 6x9 speakers. There's plenty of room for them and only requires a little trimming of the metal bracket.

I do agree, the stock head unit has very low power and an amp will make a huge difference. However, IMHO, Jag really missed the mark with the system as a whole. The head unit isn't very good, even back in the day it was made.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
If you have the standard radio and speakers there's little reason not to upgrade to 6x9 speakers. There's plenty of room for them and only requires a little trimming of the metal bracket.

I do agree, the stock head unit has very low power and an amp will make a huge difference. However, IMHO, Jag really missed the mark with the system as a whole. The head unit isn't very good, even back in the day it was made.
That would make a nice tutorial with pics. I have a ton of stuff on replacing the tired OEM ones, but nothing on setting in something a little larger. I don't find that the amp is so bad because I don't crank it up loud anyway. But with the top down and some good tunes at over 50 mph it does take a little volume to still hear it well. Like I said, at the very least, go with some good speakers like the JL's.

OTH the sound of the car and the open air is just as nice as music I can hear anytime. It's like solitude at any speed I choose.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I have to admit to being a bit peculiar when it comes to car audio. Most of the time I don't have anything playing. I'll drive straight through to Ft. Lauderdale without even thinking of turning the radio on. I deal with a great deal of noise evry day and the peace and quiet is a welcome respite. But.... when I finally do turn on the radio I don't want to hear some fourth grade science project built in a Folger's can. I guess it just 'harshes my mellow'. ;-)

Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 PM
dx3
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
I have to admit to being a bit peculiar when it comes to car audio. Most of the time I don't have anything playing. I'll drive straight through to Ft. Lauderdale without even thinking of turning the radio on. I deal with a great deal of noise evry day and the peace and quiet is a welcome respite. But.... when I finally do turn on the radio I don't want to hear some fourth grade science project built in a Folger's can. I guess it just 'harshes my mellow'. ;-)
Couldn't agree more. Sometimes the sound of the open road is more pleasant than listening to my favorite music.

I bought some Kickers about 2+ weeks ago and still haven't taken the 5 minutes necessary to install them.