XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head gasket woes

Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Blown Head gasket woes

After spending over 1 year and about $2000 I finally had my suspension completely re-done only to blow a head gasket one week later on my 59,000 mile XK8!

Here are my options so far:

1. Sell for parts. I hate to do because I love the car and have about $9,000 into it overall.
2. try to fix the head gasket myself along with timing chain r/r. Probably within my skill set except for the timing chain re-install.
3. Drop a used motor and transmission available locally for $800. Might be easier than doing a head gasket repair not knowing what I'll find when I tear the motor apart.
4. Do a LS1 conversion and never have to deal with the frail Jag motor again.

In an ideal world I'd like to do the LS1 conversion.

I'm open to all suggestions!

Thanks for all your help so far with my Jag journey.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

Woo! Hard choices, to be sure. Your present investment is not excessive. A head gasket is much easier and less expensive than a conversion. A used motor and/or trans has unknown history, and my experience is that their reliability would be more of a coin toss than fixing your own existing equipment. It's just a shame that the car is just so much fun to drive and that they get so many compliments, otherwise it would be easier to shine them on because of the expense of their never-ending maintenance. But then again, trophy wives are much the same...

The big question is, are you in love with the car or are you just infatuated with it? The true answer to that makes your decision much easier. Ongoing maintenance and some unexpected repairs are a given on any car over 5 years old, and especially with certain makes and models. Some, from the day they roll off of the assembly line... 99% of the threads in this forum are about issues and resolutions, which are created and responded to because of the love for the cars. Do you enjoy wrenching? There's a great satisfaction (and a degree of personal therapy) in fixing your own issues, and knowing that the vehicle has been repaired to your exacting standards with no shortcuts. My 2005 has 91,000 miles on it, a minuscule amount compared to the reports of others. Their testimonies alone give me the hope and the expectation that I can eventually restore this barn-find automobile to a high degree of reliability, even knowing full well that it will never sell for what I will ultimately have in it. But, man, it is so fun to drive on extended trips. So, my daughter will have someday have to deal with it disposing of it, but she's already in love with it too...

Last edited by Redline; 11-20-2017 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hdpartsman00XKR (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Hello jobagadonuts, sorry to hear of your head gasket failure, but it does seem to be a problematic issue in the 4.0 engines.

The composite gaskets are prone to failure, but once replaced with the 4.2 MLS gaskets, this seems to no longer be an issue. as we all know, early engines plastic tensioners are deemed to failure, Gen III kits seem to eliminate any of the issues brought on by the early style plastic tensioners, I would recommend this, even on a replacement motor unless already done. IMO, I don't see the Jag V8's as "frail", although earlier models have some repairable weak points, they are generally strong reliable little engines. I look at a Jag as a sum of it's whole, let's face it,300 or so HP out of a small displacement V8 isn't at all shabby!
These are not hotrods, they're GT cars, although the LS platform is popular and commonplace in todays car culture, I feel it detracts from the overall persona of what a Jaguar really is.

OK, enough of that, look into the cost of 4.2 head gaskets and a timing kit, if it's in your skillset as you have said, the end result may find you even more proud and happy to own and drive your beautiful low mileage XK8!

I too, have gone through my suspension, Powerflex bushes front and rear, H&R springs, ball joints, tie rod ends, the full meal deal, just finishing the rear end as we speak, replaced the dual fuel pumps while the rear end was out (4.0 XKR has 2 fuel pumps), head gaskets are next. Although it's quite a bit of work, I could not be more satisfied, and feel assured that my Jag will give me many miles of enjoyable driving.

Best of luck with your Jag journey,
Cheers,
BK

Redline (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

+1 for the MLS and timing update. If you have a blown gasket but not sever overheat you should be fine. Changing out the timing chains is not difficult with all the help available on the forum.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

+=1 to all above.

Sorry to hear she's thrown you another challenge. At least do the head teardown to better understand what has happened, then reassess. It will cost you your time only.

OTOH it is, as you say, an opportunity to address the lower timing gear

Good luck,
Mike

Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,486 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I would echo what has been said already. "Fortunately" the head gasket job is heavy on labor, but not expensive on parts, which makes it perfect for the determined home mechanic. With 60k on the clock, it is even possible all of the timing gear is still in great shape (besides the tensioners, if original!), further limiting the expense.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

If you decide to take the heads off I posted a lot of new OEM parts that might be of use and save you some money.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...8/#post1742918

Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 AM

I want to thank everybody for their excellent input!
First off I'd like to say I really love my XK8. I never have to worry about pulling up to another at the stoplight, its design is timeless and classic and it's without a doubt the nicest car I've ever owned as far as build quality and looks. It also hits all the buttons for living in Hawaii: convertible 2-door V8!

It looks at this point I'm going to attempt head gasket repair and replace. If anybody out there has done one in the past and can give me some pointers I greatly appreciate it.

Once again, thanks for all your help with this labor of love.

Hdpartsman00XKR (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Redline
Woo! Hard choices, to be sure. Your present investment is not excessive. A head gasket is much easier and less expensive than a conversion. A used motor and/or trans has unknown history, and my experience is that their reliability would be more of a coin toss than fixing your own existing equipment. It's just a shame that the car is just so much fun to drive and that they get so many compliments, otherwise it would be easier to shine them on because of the expense of their never-ending maintenance. But then again, trophy wives are much the same...

The big question is, are you in love with the car or are you just infatuated with it? The true answer to that makes your decision much easier. Ongoing maintenance and some unexpected repairs are a given on any car over 5 years old, and especially with certain makes and models. Some, from the day they roll off of the assembly line... 99% of the threads in this forum are about issues and resolutions, which are created and responded to because of the love for the cars. Do you enjoy wrenching? There's a great satisfaction (and a degree of personal therapy) in fixing your own issues, and knowing that the vehicle has been repaired to your exacting standards with no shortcuts. My 2005 has 91,000 miles on it, a minuscule amount compared to the reports of others. Their testimonies alone give me the hope and the expectation that I can eventually restore this barn-find automobile to a high degree of reliability, even knowing full well that it will never sell for what I will ultimately have in it. But, man, it is so fun to drive on extended trips. So, my daughter will have someday have to deal with it disposing of it, but she's already in love with it too...
Originally Posted by Hdpartsman00XKR
Hello jobagadonuts, sorry to hear of your head gasket failure, but it does seem to be a problematic issue in the 4.0 engines.

The composite gaskets are prone to failure, but once replaced with the 4.2 MLS gaskets, this seems to no longer be an issue. as we all know, early engines plastic tensioners are deemed to failure, Gen III kits seem to eliminate any of the issues brought on by the early style plastic tensioners, I would recommend this, even on a replacement motor unless already done. IMO, I don't see the Jag V8's as "frail", although earlier models have some repairable weak points, they are generally strong reliable little engines. I look at a Jag as a sum of it's whole, let's face it,300 or so HP out of a small displacement V8 isn't at all shabby!
These are not hotrods, they're GT cars, although the LS platform is popular and commonplace in todays car culture, I feel it detracts from the overall persona of what a Jaguar really is.

OK, enough of that, look into the cost of 4.2 head gaskets and a timing kit, if it's in your skillset as you have said, the end result may find you even more proud and happy to own and drive your beautiful low mileage XK8!

I too, have gone through my suspension, Powerflex bushes front and rear, H&R springs, ball joints, tie rod ends, the full meal deal, just finishing the rear end as we speak, replaced the dual fuel pumps while the rear end was out (4.0 XKR has 2 fuel pumps), head gaskets are next. Although it's quite a bit of work, I could not be more satisfied, and feel assured that my Jag will give me many miles of enjoyable driving.

Best of luck with your Jag journey,
Cheers,
BK
Originally Posted by RJ237
+1 for the MLS and timing update. If you have a blown gasket but not sever overheat you should be fine. Changing out the timing chains is not difficult with all the help available on the forum.
Originally Posted by fmertz
I would echo what has been said already. "Fortunately" the head gasket job is heavy on labor, but not expensive on parts, which makes it perfect for the determined home mechanic. With 60k on the clock, it is even possible all of the timing gear is still in great shape (besides the tensioners, if original!), further limiting the expense.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Originally Posted by rothwell
If you decide to take the heads off I posted a lot of new OEM parts that might be of use and save you some money.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...8/#post1742918
thanks, this should come in handy!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:19 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

If you are confident enough to do the head gasket, the timing chain is a walk in the park. Its just the write ups for the procedure makes it look difficult. Just take it one step at a time, be methodical and make sure everything is torqued up correctly and there will be no issues. just remember that on startup, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank till you get oil pressure. Then start the engine. easy