XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Phone Adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Phone Adapter?

Hi, I have a 1998 jaguar xkr with Harman Kardon stereo and integrated phone controls on the steering wheel & Microphone (no phone is present).

I'd like to find a Bluetooth adapter primarily to connection my current phone to the stereo for music. It wouldn't be an issue if I have to use the current Aux input from the CD player to get the music from my phone, if required.

I might be dreaming with this bit, but if i could actually get the phone controls/microphone working with my phone it would be a real bonus.

Anyone heard of any adapters etc which may work?

Indecently, does anyone know if the Stereo and Phone are integrated, or separate modules?

Many thanks
Brian

Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Brian,

All the UK XK8's had the Steering Wheel phone controls and the overhead microphone fitted. Only a very few had the costly optional Jaguar telephone installed. Although the phone is controlled through the Stereo, there is a significant amount of additional equipment required.

The simplest approach is to go aftermarket with something like Parrot Asteroid:

Parrot UK

If you want to integrate with the existing equipment, several members have been extremely inventive with installing current telephone/audio.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

On a 1998, if you remove the center console tray and cover (4 philips screws) you should find a yellow 10 position connector just sitting unconnected.

The color code on the wires is as follows:

Brown/purple - +12v battery
Light Green- Ignition switched +12v
Black - Ground
Purple/Orange or just Purple- - Mute (ground activated)
Purple/Pink - Audio +
Purple/Red- Audfio -

You can use these wires to connect to any standard Parrot or Motorola Bluetooth car kit, and it will play over the radio and automatically mute the radio when a call comes in. It will not, however work with the steering controls (except for volume).

If it is really important to use the steering controls, get a new headunit with built in Bluetooth and an appropriate steering control adapter.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
If it is really important to use the steering controls, get a new headunit with built in Bluetooth and an appropriate steering control adapter.
Speaking of which, you could follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrols-56937/ but use an alpine CDE-133BT or any other music streaming head unit

Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gents, that's got me started.

White XKR, I think I'll have a dig around in the center consol. Do you know if a Parrot etc, will be able to pick up the inbuilt microphone also?

I've got no idea if mine came with the Phone, I was assuming it did, as it had the Phone instructions booklet. Does anyone know if this was just sent with all drivers manual packs?

PS Graham, Into now completed.

Thanks for the help

Brian

Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
............... I've got no idea if mine came with the Phone, I was assuming it did, as it had the Phone instructions booklet. Does anyone know if this was just sent with all drivers manual packs? ..............
Brian,

The UK Vehicle Literature Pack included the Phone Handbook. The dealer should have removed this if a phone was not factory fitted or fitted as a dealer option before delivery to the original owner.

Graham

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ordered this from Amazon last night:

GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter

If you go to their Amazon page, you can read 2,500 highly favorable reviews on this
product.

Looks damn good and does a lot of stuff well.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

By the way, this will allow you to use your phone through your car speakers,
although a few reviews mentioned that this could be better, especially for the listener;
However, I think a lot of issues affect call quality.

I will continue to use my Jabra ERA Jawbone earphone for phone calls. I can make calls with my convertible top down, and my listeners have absolutely no problem hearing me due to its sound isolation and bone conduction technology.