XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Coolent Reservoir nipple

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken Coolent Reservoir nipple

I was in the process of changing out my valve cover gaskets today when I manage to break off the return hose nipple from the coolent reservoir. Valve cover gaskets were leaking due to what I suspected as over tighting bolts and boy were they ever! Had to use cheater to break loose bolt under reservoir (breaking nipple off too). My question is: there is a second nipple next to the one I broke not connected to anything, can I just open that one up and use it, closing the broken one up with JB Weld or something similar? Will the pressure blow out the JB?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by eagledancer
I was in the process of changing out my valve cover gaskets today when I manage to break off the return hose nipple from the coolent reservoir. Valve cover gaskets were leaking due to what I suspected as over tighting bolts and boy were they ever! Had to use cheater to break loose bolt under reservoir (breaking nipple off too). My question is: there is a second nipple next to the one I broke not connected to anything, can I just open that one up and use it, closing the broken one up with JB Weld or something similar? Will the pressure blow out the JB?
I think there is a decent chance the JB will hold....but...if I recall you are about to take a long journey. I would not want to risk getting stranded for the cost of a replacement reservoir.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Ya Steve I'm thinking that, too. Just ordered a new one. I'm glad I checked on the gaskets. Got oil in spark plug holes. The gaskets were done so tight they're almost flat.

Last edited by eagledancer; 01-24-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: replaced instead of repaired
Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I think Permatex has something for that repair. I know BMW does, a quick google brought me here but you might just check with a BMW dealer: BMW Repair Nipple for Overflow Hose Fitting on Plastic Tank Radiators (Metal Nipple) 17119055593 - RM European Auto Parts

The following 2 users liked this post by Beav:
eagledancer (01-24-2012), plums (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

That ABS plastic is hard to get good adhesion from any cements. I had to repair two small cracks in the bottom of my tank and it took grinding out, drilling, and adding a rubber washer to make a plug...then added the JB. It still leaks a tiny bit when driving. Remember, JB dries hard and is not flexible...and can crack. Also, these systems have a LOT of pressure in them and can blow most any component at any time.

I would look for a "new" or good used tank. They are expensive for what they are and not easy to find. But to repair properly you will need to drill the remaining nipple out or put a smaller tube into the hole from the present nipple. I'd try to keep the passage size the same as oem.

If you drill it out, put in a very tight rubber bushing you may get by. If you choose to use glue it will have to be absolutely clean and scuffed from both inside and out, then a new nipple with a small collar to hold it from moving the direction of the pressure. You'll know right away once the engine gets to full heat and you give it some rpms.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM

eagledancer; my #5 son rides a Triumph. 2000, maybe a Bonneville, but I don't know. It's set up like a cafe racer and he's slowly changing it to more stock.

Hosted on Fotki

Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I hate when the nipple breaks!

That too, but I just had the break bleed valve nipple break on the BMW.

Have to replace the whole unit since I am not trusting my life to JB weld.

Good luck with your busted nipple.....does that sound too gay?

cheers,

jj

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The tank has two outlets, only one of which is drilled for the XK8, so there must be another vehicle using the same reservoir where both outlets are used.

Any ideas?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax
I hate when the nipple breaks!

That too, but I just had the break bleed valve nipple break on the BMW.

Have to replace the whole unit since I am not trusting my life to JB weld.

Good luck with your busted nipple.....does that sound too gay?

cheers,

jj

If you keep saying NIPPLE sam will have a hot flush

Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
eagledancer; my #5 son rides a Triumph. 2000, maybe a Bonneville, but I don't know. It's set up like a cafe racer and he's slowly changing it to more stock.

Hosted on Fotki
That's a Bonnie alright. Nice looking, too. I got mine to fulfill an old dream and really enjoyed the looks and comments from people - lot like the Jag. Your son's and mine were built in England, but not the ones today. My health took a left turn so I've had to give up that dream, but there was this BRG XKE I saw once and now the Jag is fulfiling another.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM

That's a Bonnie alright. Nice looking, too. I got mine to fulfill an old dream and really enjoyed the looks and comments from people - lot like the Jag. Your son's and mine were built in England, but not the ones today. My health took a left turn so I've had to give up that dream, but there was this BRG XKE I saw once and now the Jag is fulfiling another.
I must say that wherever he goes he gets thumbs up and lots of comments. Not many British bikes out there by comparison. My brother's best friend from school days had a big Matchless that he rode in "scrambles". It was a beast. I remember all those Nortons and others from the 1960's...and that when the Japanese bikes came over how glad everyone was to have a cycle that didn't break down constantly.

Hope you get to have a few more rides. Afraid to ask, but where are they made now?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The tank has two outlets, only one of which is drilled for the XK8, so there must be another vehicle using the same reservoir where both outlets are used.

Any ideas?
XJ8's of those years. But the wrecking yards are scoured constantly for naught because so many of the good parts cars were crushed in the "Cash for Clunkers" program....one of the dumbest things ever done (unless you are a new car dealer...hmmmmmm....). Wasn't that another Obama deal?

The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
I must say that wherever he goes he gets thumbs up and lots of comments. Not many British bikes out there by comparison. My brother's best friend from school days had a big Matchless that he rode in "scrambles". It was a beast. I remember all those Nortons and others from the 1960's...and that when the Japanese bikes came over how glad everyone was to have a cycle that didn't break down constantly.

Hope you get to have a few more rides. Afraid to ask, but where are they made now?

Thanks,

Triumph still builds some of their line in Hinckley, England, but the Bonnies are now built in the far East, Thailand I think.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Thanks,

Triumph still builds some of their line in Hinckley, England, but the Bonnies are now built in the far East, Thailand I think.
I guess this one must have been made in England because the gas tank is big enough for two Thais to sit on.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Bonneville

Couldn't resist. This pic of my 66 Bonneville (in front of my 66 Impala 427). Date: 1967

Attached Thumbnails Broken Coolent Reservoir nipple-66bonnief.jpg  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Couldn't resist. This pic of my 66 Bonneville (in front of my 66 Impala 427). Date: 1967

Just like the one that lured me to my evil ways. Thanks Paul