Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 1997 XK8, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying 1997 XK8, need advice

Hi everyone,
I am about to purchase 1997 XK8 with 68k miles, price is around $7-7.5k.

While test driving couple issues came up. First, roof did not work 100%. When the guy pushed the button the latch on top did not open completely. He tried it several times and ended up helping it to open while I pushed the button. The roof also did not close back up. No tones or chimes to indicate up or down position either. I read about some common hydrolic issues. My question is how much would something like this cost to fix if I were to take it to a dealership? Second, one of the wood interior panels has a hairline crack top to bottom. I think it is only in the finish. Is this real wood that could be refinished? How much does a new panel cost?

Also, any comments on the asking price?

Thanks everyone and Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good for you. If you like to tinker it can be a lot of fun and satisfaction. I just got a 2000 XK8 and the top was slow. Cause turned out to be one of the cylinders was leaking. New part is $399 CDN retail. There are two of them. Gus on this forum has a ton of work posted that relates to rejuvenating the hydraulics. He has a mechanical fix to lower the pressure and there is also an electronic fix for the pressure in the FAQ's. I've also heard that Jaguar changed the fluid to one that does not gel up like the original.

These early cars also may develop issues with the tranny. Once more, Gus has a bunch on that.

Most important, have the timing chain tensioners (uppers especially) been changed? Plastic cracked and fell apart on the originals and that will cost you an engine, worth about what you'll pay for the car.

I'd confirm the tensioners then budget about $3000 for all the little bits to bring her up to snuff. You'll then have a fine, fun auto and be proud of her.

There are many people here, far, far more qualified to speak to your topic. Good luck, enjoy.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I see that you have several questions about the roof operation and you can find most all that info on my page and I will try to answer any question you might have on it. The only thing I am unable to answer is how much it will cost you to get it repaired. I know that you are unable to access the FAQ but the same information is on my page just copy and paste http://www.gusglikas.com/autorepair.htm As for the roof not working it might be a case of low fluid and possibly fluid that needs to be replaced. Does the owner have any records of repairs and has the hyd roof system been worked on? As for other things to check RJag said most of it.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by RJag
Good for you. If you like to tinker it can be a lot of fun and satisfaction. I just got a 2000 XK8 and the top was slow. Cause turned out to be one of the cylinders was leaking. New part is $399 CDN retail. There are two of them. Gus on this forum has a ton of work posted that relates to rejuvenating the hydraulics. He has a mechanical fix to lower the pressure and there is also an electronic fix for the pressure in the FAQ's. I've also heard that Jaguar changed the fluid to one that does not gel up like the original.

These early cars also may develop issues with the tranny. Once more, Gus has a bunch on that.

Most important, have the timing chain tensioners (uppers especially) been changed? Plastic cracked and fell apart on the originals and that will cost you an engine, worth about what you'll pay for the car.

I'd confirm the tensioners then budget about $3000 for all the little bits to bring her up to snuff. You'll then have a fine, fun auto and be proud of her.

There are many people here, far, far more qualified to speak to your topic. Good luck, enjoy.
Thank you for the reply, talked to the guy, he did not replace the tensioners. Any idea how much it would be to replace these?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Not knowing where you reside other than EARTH it would be hard to answer your questions on cost. I think RJag’s budgit of $3000.00 might be a good figure.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Not knowing where you reside other than EARTH it would be hard to answer your questions on cost. I think RJag’s budgit of $3000.00 might be a good figure.
I am in NJ, LOL

The hydrolic fluid was changed in 2002:

Lower control arm bushings replaced
Convertible top hydraulic fluid changed
Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
Tires rotated and balanced
Thrust angle alignment performed
Throttle body cleaned/serviced
Coolant reserve tank replaced
Upper radiator hose replaced
Thermostat replaced
Water pump replaced

He also changed the serpantin belt recently. I am pretty handy and like to tinker, I think I'll offer him $7k and see if he takes it. Then I could slowly bring it up to snuff. I did see a lot of info that Gus has on his web site, I'll dig into it if this goes thru.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

New upper tensioners and valve cover seals cost me $1600 installed at my shop, Cdn which is always a bit high. Hope that helps.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:11 PM

thank you guys

Old 11-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The tensioners can be purchased as Lincoln LS or Thunderbird parts for less than $200 including gaskets and bolts. The repair is not difficult and there is complete instructions, with pictures, in the FAQ Sticky above.

. . . and welcome to the forum!

Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Regarding the tensioners, I would not wait to get that fixed.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Regarding the tensioners, I would not wait to get that fixed.
Are you guys referring to the tensioners on the serpentine belt? It was replaced recently. Or are these for the timing chain inside the engine? I am new at this, might be a stupid question so take it easy on me please.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Tensioners on the timing chain. If they break, the engine is history. They are notorious for breaking, particularly on early models. Jaguar went through three generations of tensioners. The first (the ones on yours) were the worst. I would do that ASAP.

The following users liked this post:
reko19 (11-26-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 AM

thank you

Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Tensioners on the timing chain. If they break, the engine is history. They are notorious for breaking, particularly on early models. Jaguar went through three generations of tensioners. The first (the ones on yours) were the worst. I would do that ASAP.

This is not correct. While your engine will be toast if you are at any decent speed when they let go, but if you hear the RATTLE/CLAPPING of metal at startup from the front of the motor, turn it off and have it taken to a shop. Mine did this.
1997. At 70k drove it home on the HWY, running fine. Parked at grocery store, came back out started and heard the clap/ratle at start up. Towed it home, started a few more times to confirm but did not let run for more then a min, it did run like **** but did not toast motor.
Did have compression check to make sure motor was fine as it was, had chains/tensioners redone all was well after that.

Anyways, at todays prices go find one that works the minute you get in it and mess with all the goodies. Don't settle for one that the top is acting up, this or that. Find one with maint history/paper trail. If you can travel for one that is documented, DO IT. Prices are to low on these to settle for one that has issue before you even buy it.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:56 PM

I appreciate all replies, the one I was looking at was priced pretty good at $7.5k but had a number of issues with the top, door that needed repainting, cracked wood panel, and so on. I made an offer for $7.2k, but it falls thru I won't loose my sleep over it.

I must say though, jags are one of the sexiest cars out there.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

The wood panel can be sent off to california (there's a link in the forums somewhere) for probably a few hundred dollars. The roof hydraulics would worry me a bit too on top of the tensioners. Just because the fluid was changed does not mean it isn't leaking at the ram (piston). If the fluid is full...I don't know what to tell ya. Good to see the t-stat housing and water pump was updated though.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Happy to report that I am a proud owner. I think for $7.2k it is a pretty good deal. First order of business is timing chain tensioners. Found all required parts in a different thead. I am sure will be back for help. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulation on your new car. And welcome to the forum!