XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant stop pushing 100.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Cant stop pushing 100.......

Ok , maybe because this car is still new to me (2 months now) or that its just fun to drive or because I live in the country with alot of empty roads but.... it sure does seem like at least daily Im running 100 at some point. Maybe not everyday but at least every other. I love how the car pulls to 100 and the sound of the motor so Im sure this plays into it.

I have owned numerous muscle cars but dont ever remember my having pushed them up the speedometer ladder as much as I do my R. Mind you I dont drive a long time at 100, but its still 100 and on a more than normal basis.

So gentlemen (and ladies) am I just still acting like a kid with his new toy or do you guys do the same thing every time you get a chance ?

The following users liked this post:
Jochem00 (04-01-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Look out for Sheriff Joe, you don't want to sleep in a tent!

Nothing wrong with behaving like a kid, I had to "break the ton" on the way back from Vegas after picking up the XK8. It's just one of those things that have to be done.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox
So gentlemen (and ladies) am I just still acting like a kid with his new toy?
Yes, and you should be Proud of it!!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Not in the past 20 years or so. It is simply not worth the many thousands of dollars this would cost us in legal expenses and insurance premiums, not to mention ruining our perfect driving record for the foreseeable future....

I know our vehicles can easily hit triple digits. That's good enough for me these days....

Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

<- Still acts like a kid. Still pushes 100 on a regular basis.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Years ago...in my XJS V12 days....I took lots of weekend road trips. Lots of wide open and empty roads in eastern Washington an Oregon :-).

I took every opportunity to hit (at least) 100 when conditions permitted.
Dry weather, good road, good visibilty, no innocent people to be killed if I make a mistake. And, naturally, the car itself was in top condition. As the saying goes, there's a time and a place for everything.

No doubt about it, though, if something bad happens as those speeds...well... you're a dead man.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Doug,

Unless you have had the limiter de-restricted you have another 55mph to go ,

mind you , the last time I was stopped was in Arizona , nice sheriff reduced the speed on the ticket so I only had to pay $115 fine , such a nice guy , wouldn't believe me when I said that the speed limit on motorways in the UK was 100 mph ,

All the best ,

Nik

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

I got stopped many moons ago between Phoenix and Las Vegas, 11 at night no traffic and a straight road, you could see for miles. I was doing 85, my g/friend (now wife) was asleep, I gave the cop my UK license (which folds out to an A4/letter size page) so he was a bit confused with that, SWMBO leapt to the rescue by telling they don't have speed limits on the Autobahns in the UK!
The cop gave me a lecture on there being no Autobahns in the USA and sent me on my way. :-)

Old 03-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Believe me that 155 limiter works.. I have set cruise at 100. It only will set for 112. Acting like a kid is a good thing. A good radar detector is a very worthwhile purchase. Enjoy

Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope am always a kid...

Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

When I worked at the Jaguar dealer I had the opportunity to drive DOZENS of customer cars home (BRAND NEW SUPERCHARGED Silverstones ETC.!!!!!!!!!) to test drive for intermittent faults. Some were crazy faults like "SHAKES AT 120 MPH".

There was NO WAY I would duplicate the fault. I might do crazy things with my own car but I can't put the customer car in that situation. I would also have to explain my crazy behavior to my employer as well as explain to the customer why the car is impounded (and my cell mates at the local jail). At a certain point the charges go from speeding to wreckless endangerment.

I did have my 2001 4.0 S-Type to 135MPH for a short burst. There was plenty of pedal left to get to the 155 limiter.

bob gauff

Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I think that I hit about 120 the first time I tried to find Motorman's shop. I went about 40 miles the wrong way and felt guilty about being late. He has a fantastic shop in the country-side, sitting on a parcel of land that seemed as big as the Ponderosa.

My head got light-headed from all the fresh air. Bob's an amazing mechanic and makes big jobs look easy. Careful though, if you bore him, he'll boot you out to his backyard acreage to spend some time with 20 or so African pygmy goats that graze behind his shop. Mini-security goats?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just last weekend,while out for a pleasure drive,my 03 XKR decide that she needed to stretch her legs. There was a perfectly straight two mile stretch in front of me. A very steep uphill climb,no less. I finally said,okay, this is enough when she clipped 110 and was still climbing. Both in speed, and the hill. It was SO effortless, that it was beautiful.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Germany you can see tons of Audi's regularly going what must be over 100 mph, since there's no speed limit, it's even legal to join them! (though not recommended)

Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Frankly I think you're acting like a child and should grow up.

I've had my R up to 120ish

Old 04-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Good One!

Originally Posted by AB22 Easy Tiger
Frankly I think you're acting like a child and should grow up.

I've had my R up to 120ish
I was going to quote you on your Feb 28 post ... "Having said that, I still like to see how fast it will go when the conditions are right.", thinking you were being a bit pissy.

Then I noticed the extra text in WHITE FONT. "I've had my R up to 120ish".

Now I'm laughing my **** off.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
I was going to quote you on your Feb 28 post ... "Having said that, I still like to see how fast it will go when the conditions are right.", thinking you were being a bit pissy.

Then I noticed the extra text in WHITE FONT. "I've had my R up to 120ish".

Now I'm laughing my **** off.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

John (et al);

You need to be really careful out on the AZ highways. Not because your car won't handle it, because the AZ hiway patrol is unforgiving and relentless in slamming "speeders". I've been ticketd in AZ for going 70 in a 65, 80 (ok, I deserved that one), and even "over 55" in a 55 (which was total bulldirt and a scam). Thay want YOUR money, period!

If you're reasonable, can show some caution, and want to open your car up for long stretches, just mosey on up to Nevada. Yes, we have speed limits. Most of the highways and freeways away from the cities are 70-75 "limits". Many of those you won't see another car for 50 miles or more at a stretch, and you can see for as far as your eyes can reach. That doesn't mean you cannot get pulled over, but if you're cruising at 90 and you're not dodging through a line of cars, you're not gonna get ripped for the value of your car if you get stopped.

I've made so many trips up, down, and across the open highways of NV that I can't count 'em anymore (just got back from a 500 miler this weekend). It's a good place to stretch the car's legs if you're careful. I've been fairly conservative in the Jag because I like to ride with the top down (over 70 is a bit noisy), but when I'm buttoned up the car likes to cruise easily at 80 or more. These days I prefer to enjoy the view a little more and with the exception of giving in to some of the thrilling twisties through the hills I kinda like the 70 "or so" velocity.

I do admit to falling to the insanity, though, when I had my ZR-1. A lot of my trips were at night, so cruising at 120+ was easy and often. The most I ran for any sustained distance as a little over 140 for about 30 minutes. The car felt great (like IT was having fun), but it was noisy and you just never know when a big jackrabbit or a deer might wander out in the road. I topped out at over 165 for some of those runs, and once pushed it to a little over 190, but I could tell it was a realllllly dangerous thing to do. Fun once, but I'm not that brave anymore.

'Course, if you (any of you) really want to have some fun, see some really cool cars, and test yourselves and your Jags, come to one of the sanctioned open road speed events that Nevada has a few times a year. The Nevada Open Road Challenge comes up May 17-20 with "pick-your-own" speed classes from 90-ish all the way to unlimited. The Silver State Classic Challenge is Sept. 13-17th. Most of those are run on state highway 318, which is very smooth and well-maintained like most of Nevada's highways. You don't have to go for the big speeds since it's all about matching the distance and toime from start bto finish. Silver State Classic Challenge Inc.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by NikasilNik
Hi Doug,

Unless you have had the limiter de-restricted you have another 55mph to go ,

mind you , the last time I was stopped was in Arizona , nice sheriff reduced the speed on the ticket so I only had to pay $115 fine , such a nice guy , wouldn't believe me when I said that the speed limit on motorways in the UK was 100 mph ,

All the best ,

Nik

Actually, no limiter my old (1988) XJS V12 nor my XJR/6 .....not that I'm really interested in going *that* fast anyway. Someday....maybe.

No matter. I don't often push my XJR, even though it's much more powerful than the XJS. It doesn't feel as stable at high speeds. The XJS was absolutley like a rock at 100-120. The XJR...not quite so much.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey Old Jag...... you a member of the Silver State Classic group ? Do you know a guy names Blu (from Tucson) whos got a Mazda I think ? He came an looked at my 99 XJ8 a few months back we talked for like 2 hours and he told me all about SSCC and said I should join.

I am fortunate that I live in the country and have an empty 5 mile stretch from one stop sign to my turn in at my house so this is normally where I run her up.....just open with nothing but farm or desert on each side. I tend to be a little more reserve on the main drags though I will tap 100 if following someone on the 10.

Quick Reply: Cant stop pushing 100.......