XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is REALLY starting to freak me out

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
I saw just Cuda before anyone said anything......
You are right Brutal, at the bottom it said '70 Cuda. I decided to see if he had a photo of it, so I looked at the top where it had a clickable link in blue, and it said "Dodge 'Cuda", so I clicked on the link to see a photo.

There was no photo. I thought that maybe he had combined parts from a Dodge Challenger and a Plymouth 'Cuda and decided to call it a Dodge 'Cuda.

As I said, I grew up a Mopar guy, and the first car I ever bought was a '68 Barracuda.

Plymouth/Mopar did some things and offered some options for the Barracuda that they did not do for the Challenger, specifically to run in the Trans Am circuit. In fact, there was a T/A 'Cuda. The rules at that time were that the manufacturer had to produce a certain number of cars of a specific type to qualify them to be considered "Production cars" to be able to race in certain classes.

As I said before, the Dodge Challenger, while very similar to the Barracuda, was actually a bit larger and heavier and Mopar/Dodge did not offer the same engine and body styles that Plymouth did in the 'Cuda.

I am not trying to get into a back and forth argument on this forum, as I respect it, and will not do that, but, the truth is the truth, and if someone can not deal with the truth, then that is their problem, not mine.

This will be my last post in this thread.

I hope the guy gets his problems sorted out.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I make a innocent mistake from the drop down and now I am being accused of lieing, by someone who jumps into my thread and just wants to cause problems.
To settle this real quick, here is a pic and for anyone that wants, I will show them my bill of sale, now Kevin go back into your little world and leave me alone, that is my old vette beside the CUDA.

Name:  Cudafront.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  109.1 KB

Name:  CudaPic.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  57.0 KB

Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Ok, took car to a jag shop and no codes and we drove about 4 miles and car never acted up, drove car home and revved with no problems.

Next morning, got on it to pass someone and started acting up.
Now I am wondering if it is a fuel problem, because on a real hot day right after I got the car, it started sputtering and then I pressed the gas a few times and it straightened right out, then I stopped at a light and it idled perfectly and when the light turned green, car acted like it was running out of gas. Since I was low on gas, I filled up and it acted up a little bit, but was fine. So I am thinking the two issues are related, I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to test the fuel pump on the car?

Also, I have gone through atleast 4 tanks of gas, so I do not think it is gas related.

TIA

Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Other than a Pressure check and the fact that it is working what other kind of testing were you thinking of? I say drive the car and see what takes place. I am thinking that your assumption of bad or low fuel was the problem.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Other than a Pressure check and the fact that it is working what other kind of testing were you thinking of? I say drive the car and see what takes place. I am thinking that your assumption of bad or low fuel was the problem.
This has happened over 3 tankfuls of gas, so I am kind of leaning torwards the 1st tankful was bad and clogged the filter.

But I was wondering whether I could run the fuel pump at it's fastest speed and see if maybe the FP might not be able to keep the fuel pressure high enough to run at WOT.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

This is the way to check the fuel pressure if you wish to do that. Jaguar fuel pressure testing The pressure should be 42PSI

Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks Gus, it looks like the schrader valve is on the back right (passenger) side of the car, if it is then maybe I could tape the guage to the window and street test?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,260 Likes on 564 Posts

I'm sure that would work, Randy. Just make sure all of the connections are secure. You don't want gasoline spraying all over the place while you're driving down the highway.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I'm sure that would work, Randy. Just make sure all of the connections are secure. You don't want gasoline spraying all over the place while you're driving down the highway.
Yes, LOL

That would ruin my day!!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,260 Likes on 564 Posts

Randy, I'm not sure about the 01 model years, but you might be able to read the fuel pressure with an OBD tool. I have an 03, and my car has a pressure transducer on the fuel rail which send the fuel pressure to the ECU. That data can be read with some OBD tools. I'm using an app on my Android phone called Torque. It communicates via bluetooth with a wireless OBD scanner that I leave plugged in all of the time. The whole setup was only about $60, but like I said, I'm not sure if the 1st generation cars have the transducer on the fuel rail.

If there's anyone with an 02 or earlier in the Raleigh, NC area who'd like me to plug into their car to see, just send me a PM.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You can only read fuel pressure over OBDII on '03 and later.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Randy, I'm not sure about the 01 model years, but you might be able to read the fuel pressure with an OBD tool. I have an 03, and my car has a pressure transducer on the fuel rail which send the fuel pressure to the ECU. That data can be read with some OBD tools. I'm using an app on my Android phone called Torque. It communicates via bluetooth with a wireless OBD scanner that I leave plugged in all of the time. The whole setup was only about $60, but like I said, I'm not sure if the 1st generation cars have the transducer on the fuel rail.

If there's anyone with an 02 or earlier in the Raleigh, NC area who'd like me to plug into their car to see, just send me a PM.
I am not to far from you, I am in Birmingham. I could meet you in say Atlanta????
How is Raleigh, I used to go to a certain club there (Thee Doll House) that was quite the place, least I think that was the name, for some reason my mind only remembers the inside .
I worked in the huge metropolis of Rocky Mount for a while.

Actually, I am about to download Torque, I just got the bluetooth OBDII that you or someone recommended to me.