XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Wont Start, just cranks over

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Car Wont Start, just cranks over

Okay, this car is about ready for the chopping block. Went out today to start it up and it would not unlock from the remote. Unlocked it using the key and tried to start it. It cranks over very quickly but it never fires. No sign that the battery is weak based on the cranking. I do get a DSC System Fault message for some reason.
I ran the diagnostics and it had a P1000 which is normal and the usual P073? indicating an incorrect 5th gear ratio which come and goes and I have never figured out for the last couple of years but nothing else. I cleared the code for incorrect 5th gear and tried starting it again to no avail. It just cranks over quickly but never fires. No new codes but no start.
FYI, now the remote locks and unlocks the door fine and yes, the window still has its memory which disappears if the battery gets too low or is disconnected.
2003 XK8, 72,000 miles.
Ideas? HELP!
Want to buy it? If my wife did not like it, it would be for sale. The most unreliable car I have ever owned including my 1969 XKE.
But it sure looks nice!

Old 04-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Despite all your comments on battery issues that is still is the largest single problem with 'cranks but will not start'. Second is fuel pump failure.

Test battery voltage while cranking.

Test fuel pressure.

Let me know if you want to dump a non running car.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I remember that a blown fuse that feeds the drivers flip down mirror will cause this too? Think I recall this happening to sever folks who worked on something up there and wound up pinching / shorting the wire that feeds this mirror. Surprisingly it caused can't start.

Greg, I hope it is something simple for you. John

Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Start with the basics. I presume you verified spark to at least one spark plug. You need a fuel pressure tester to verify correct fuel pressure. You can rent that.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:42 AM

Thanks
I will check the battery. No, I have not yet tested for spark or fuel pressure. It was getting dark and I was disgusted with it. Doesn't the fuel pump normally come on for 2-3 seconds when the key is turn on like a lot of other cars? I cant remember nor can I remember if I heard it.
I have the tools to test for anything and everything. Just tired of using them on this car so much.
I am betting on the fuel pump

Old 04-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera928
It cranks over very quickly but it never fires.
Just how quickly? If it is notably quicker than normal, that is possibly a sign there is no compression. I have not heard much of it on the later 4.2 engine, but I suppose it is possible. Check this forum for "bore wash". I suppose you could try and minimize the fuel by starting the car with the gas pedal to the floor. It would hopefully vent the excess gas and eventually start.

Separately, if your fob does not work, it means the root cause could be a problem with the security setup. AFAIK, the ignition switch has a exciter ring that makes the key put out a code, which is somehow evaluated by modules in the car. If said scheme does not resolve, the car cranks, but does not start. You might have to look further into this. Folks have reported failed security modules before, I believe it is located in the trunk. Opening the module in that instance showed obvious damage. Just a thought.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

P1000 is not normal but also is not itself the cause of the fault.

Highly unusual but _could_ be bore wash. Or maybe a needed sensor (CKP / CMP).

Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 AM

Well, here is a real confidence builder. I went to check the car out this weekend and everything worked fine. No, I had not charged the battery nor done anything else since it would not start previously. No codes, No issues. But, when will it do this again?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Electrical connections check and clean might be a good time investment. Ground strap battery to frame known for hidden corrosion.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Sure sounds like bore wash or flooding.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure if relavant on the 2002. But I had similar issue once. The temp outside was 80C plus. Car would run fine but upon restart attempts crank sometimes, sometimes not just click. The culprit was corrosion on negative ground strap. It happens. If bore wash you can't you just press the gas pedal to the floor then crank until start. Pressing pedal to the floor will tell the computer there is a flooded situation and will cause an apparent lean condition. The engine will turn over eventually but chuggingly.

Last edited by daddyo007; 04-17-2017 at 03:53 PM.