Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Changer Cartridge Stuck - new evidence points to Root Cause

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default CD Changer Cartridge Stuck - new evidence points to Root Cause

Well I'm getting good at these don't do what I did posts, this time I think I learned something good though.

I have had intermittent troubles getting the Changer to spit out the cartridge, doesn't happen often but when it does it is a PIA. After reading about this I once opened her up and cleaned/relubed everthing inside. I did notice that on the rare occasion when she stuck, if I pushed down and back it would work. I did suspect the linkage was faulty.

Well the other day it happened again. I maybe got a little frustrated and pushed that little blue switch a bit too hard. It stuck in on one side! Well my next press caused the other side to stick as well. Good news: The cartridge shot right out.
Bad News: the unit reset, then ran the eject sequence, again and again - It wasn't going to stop. This switch was shorted closed in this position!

Well since this is a battery circuit, I knew it would drain the battery if I left it that way so I started my attack plans on the way home. I was happy, a nudge in the right place released the button and all is well again.

Moral: Don't push that switch too hard!! It can screw things up - a bit easier than you'd think.

Lesson Learned: This "no release issue" is clearly a switch / contact issue. I'll be soldering in a momentarty on switch shortly and never have to worry about this again.

If anyone wants me to take a photo of the solder points the switch is connected to, just ask. If we are lucky enough, they will be isolated on the board, the photo might give you a way to release from underneath if you ever needed.