XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette Lighter Bulb Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter Bulb Removal

So while changing the LED bulbs for a few buttons on the centre console, I noticed that the cigarette lighter bulb wasn't on. I managed to get the cigarette lighter housing out (wasn't easy!) but now I have no idea how to get the bulb out! I can see there are tabs on the side that are holding the black plastic cylinder that is holding the bulb, but fear if I pry too much I will break the green plastic. Any suggestions?!

Old 02-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Received 7,896 Likes on 4,770 Posts

The black plastic holder is PART of the illumination ring according to the JEPC.
The JEPC does show the bulb separate but no part number for the X100
The X308 does show a Wedge Base Bulb 12V 1.2 Watt with a part number.

Maybe the assy is not to be serviced??

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 02-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 924 Likes on 455 Posts
Default Solved

I, too, was in the console. On my list, 'Change cigar lighter bulb'. Turns out, except for all the newly the broken plastic. It's fairly straightforward:

1. Pull cigar lighter guts out the top.
2. Pull green surround out the top (there are theoretically green tabs that you can now reach that will fracture and turn into dust when you 'depress them')
3. Note, design makes it nearly impossible to pull the bulb out at this point. You can see it, you can touch it, you can get something in there that will surely break it (My finest needle nose, for example. A pick, for another example), but nothing looks like a clean pull.
4. So, press tab on the side of the bulb housing housing and pull the bulb housing downward (ignoring what happens to the metal thing that provides ground contact, it will bend).
5. Replace and check bulb.
6. To get it back in, the metal thing that provides ground contact will bend the other way and you can eventually push it back into the slot into which it lives.

All this bending of metal suggests that the whole thing might not last for thousands of replacements, but the tiny bugs in mine suggest that this would be replacement #1. So perhaps this is not an issue.

Picture below, and helpful workshop manual page.

Someone needs a course in photography. Alternatively, someone is too lazy to take it apart again to get a better picture after he noticed this one was crappy.

The official instructions. They are fairly straightforward once you've done it once. They do not mention the 'flying lead' bending repeatedly.

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (11-22-2021)