XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bumper Lens changeover ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Clear bumper Lens changeover ?

Recently read a few posts regarding changing the Amber to Clear Lens with Chrome/Amber bulbs or LED's have piqued my interest. The marker repeaters lamps have been ordered, but the Bumper Lens are on B/O. How does one remove the Bumper lamp assembly from the bumper? next, how do you separate the amber lens from the housing? Remounting the clear lens seems best done with a epoxy that allows some working or dry time. I have searched Google for info on R&R bumper lamp but found no instructions. Examination shows the access panel for H.L. bulb replacement in the area behind the bumper assembly could possibly be used. Would someone familiar with these procedures chime in with some tips? The Green Coupe should look Great with this changeover.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

They are just held in by retaining spring clips. Below is a pic showing the spring thingy. The lens just needs to be slid horizontally to release tension off one of the springs and then pulled gently forward out of the bumper.

If you are not comfortable with that method then you could also open the access panel inside the fender and reach in to do the same thing from the inside pushing out.

I have never done the lens separation and clear lens refit so hopefully somebody else will chime in.

The following users liked this post:
kstevusa (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I used a credit card to help pry the original marker off. Years of crud caused it to stick a bit. Don't be afraid to lift and slide the marker towards the back of the car.
You will feel it move, and will not break anything, as noted above, it is held by pressure clips...Just slide and lift and edge, it's easy.

The bulbs just pop on and off. The holder will be VERY brittle from years of the original bulbs being used. I replaced my bulbs with White LED, cooler and very bright. DO NOT let the wire fall back into the car, or you will have to use a combo of chopsticks & chewing gum to get it out.

(LED emit a faint glow after you shut the engine off for about 20 mins, fyi)

To replace the lens, get a very rigid knife and slide along the edge. It wont take much for them to pop off. sand down the edge if you see ANY hint of orange plastic, or it will show through.
Re-spray the silver fixture with chrome paint to refresh the reflective coating...

use only epoxy to attach marker to fixture... just the smallest "flat" wipe along the edge. too much will show through Rubber band for at least 4 hours.

Slide back on and drink a beer.
(if you search my posts, you can read about my experience with it, and what i used)

good luck!

The following users liked this post:
kstevusa (04-16-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 11:08 PM

found this:
mine did not slide off as easily, but you get the idea

Old 04-16-2017, 06:18 AM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks for above, I have R&R ed the repeaters so no problem there. The Bumper reflectors were main item I wanted to research. Your instructions provide adequate info. Appears the assumption about the fender line access was correct. Off the "The Mitty" for a short vacation!

Old 04-16-2017, 07:44 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

The previous owner of my car moved to clear lights. Every few months it seems to pop out. I can put them back in and it snaps. No idea of root cause.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Where is the best place to get the clear side marker lights? Do you all have a part #?

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
The previous owner of my car moved to clear lights. Every few months it seems to pop out. I can put them back in and it snaps. No idea of root cause.
I believe there were 2 types that were shaped differently. you probably have the one that was more straight, instead of the one that slightly curves to the body...

Old 04-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by blindside
Where is the best place to get the clear side marker lights? Do you all have a part #?
PM sent

The following 2 users liked this post by prettybluefin:
blindside (04-17-2017), Matthew Chidester (04-16-2017)