Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil spring compressor recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Coil spring compressor recommendation

Can anyone recommend the correct type of coil spring compressor to use on an XK8.

coil spring compressor | eBay

Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Possible Coil Spring Compressor

I just bought these - arrived today - am trying them out tomorrow on my XK8.

I'll let you know if the ends slide in properly between the coils, and if I can get easy access to the screw. This listing is expensive, I purchased mine from an autozone listing for 34.99 on ebay - but it has expired.

25550 Specialty Tool Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor New | eBay

Ok - tested these compressors - the hooks fit fine, but the safety pins will not clear/close over the thickness of the rear spring coils.

Last edited by jonscot; 05-31-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Jonscot I tried a similar type on my XKR worked good enough to remove spring, if you are not changing springs you will probably be alright. That style just doesn't cut it compressing new spring, ended up taking to a friends shop and using his Branick wall mounted compressor to install new springs. Good luck be careful.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by jonscot
I just bought these - arrived today - am trying them out tomorrow on my XK8.

I'll let you know if the ends slide in properly between the coils, and if I can get easy access to the screw. This listing is expensive, I purchased mine from an autozone listing for 34.99 on ebay - but it has expired.
Autozone has this same one in their tool loaner program. Put up a $50 deposit that you get back when you return the tool. I tried two of them. The first already had a broken retainer pin. Swapped it for a second. One of its retainer pins broke while the spring was under pressure. Near disaster when that side slipped free. Only kept from launching the spring by the tool getting jammed in the coil.

Apparently they do work, but for the cost of the tool, you can have a shop mechanic do it for you. No risk, no sweat and money well spent IMHO.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

That's what I was wondering, these appear to have the single finger on each end.

Jag#4, you say have a shop mechanic do this. How do you get the shock/spring assembly off without compressing it? Does removing the upper A arm first allow room to get the assembly off without compressing the spring? Same for reassembly? Also need to install new upper mounts.

I would much rather pay someone to do the swap if this is possible as I'll probably take the A arm and lower arm to a shop anyway to swap out the ball joints.

As you say for the cost of the spring compressor and the ball joint clamp and adapters for not much more I can have a shop do the work. As far as i have been able to determine no one on Maui has the "free" tool rental program or for that matter a tool rental program at all.

I will be replacing the shock upper mount, shocks, upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends. So I'll be taking everything off.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd performed this a month or so ago, here's a pic of the Harbor Freight compressor, much easier to use than the twin fingers. One note, the support ring (on bottom of spring pic) was a tad wide and gave me problems when I recompressed, I had a friend tack weld some supports on it, the shock bottom plate would slip in between the ring but otherwise this was very effective.
There are other threads/pics of this from other as well.. NOTE there are spring assistors that are in the parts diag but not in some videos.. you should consider replacing these, mine were shot. Good LuckCoil spring compressor recommendation-springcompressor.jpg

The following users liked this post:
volkris (05-15-2020)
Old 05-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Jag#4, you say have a shop mechanic do this. How do you get the shock/spring assembly off without compressing it? Does removing the upper A arm first allow room to get the assembly off without compressing the spring? Same for reassembly? Also need to install new upper mounts.

I will be replacing the shock upper mount, shocks, upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends. So I'll be taking everything off.
Yes, you can take the long bolt out of the wishbone and swivel the arm out of your way. The entire strut assembly can easily be pulled out (or put back in) this way. If you are taking the wishbone out for ball joint replacement, even better.

The shop you have pressing in the ball joints should be able to compress the springs to assemble your coils and struts.

Jandreu (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

When you pull the bolt out for the upper control arm there will be shims between the bushings and the mount, don't lose them or mix them up they are used for the front end alignment. Kinda important.

Jandreu (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Yes, you can take the long bolt out of the wishbone and swivel the arm out of your way. The entire strut assembly can easily be pulled out (or put back in) this way. If you are taking the wishbone out for ball joint replacement, even better.

The shop you have pressing in the ball joints should be able to compress the springs to assemble your coils and struts.
Jag#4, thanks and please excuse all the questions but this is my first experance with suspension work and while I'm a fairly good shade tree mechanic I'm a little nervous about this.

Re watched the Rev Sam video and I see now how it works.

I did find a local place to rent/loan/free the spring compressor and ball joint C clamp tools last night so my give this a try on my own. If it looks dodgie I'll take everything to a shop.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Jandreu,

Just take your time. Not a difficult job, only needs regular skills and some patience.

Remember dieseldoc's advice about the shims. These must be put back in order or your alignment goes bye-bye.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yelp, all parts are in various states of transit to Hawaii. Hope to tackle this within two weeks.