Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering purchase of 04 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering purchase of 04 XKR

Hi folks,

I'm brand new here and looking for some basic information. I'm considering purchasing a 2004 XKR couple. It has 73,000kms on it (about 45,000 miles). It's for sale by a used car dealer, not the previous owner, so I'm expecting that I will have a hard time getting a service history on the vehicle.

So, what things should I be looking for? From my research control arm bushings seems like a big one, timing tensioners (can these even be checked without pulling everything apart?) and something about cylinder sleeves (compression test?)

What else does a Jaguar rookie need to know?

I did a bunch of trolling the site looking for an answer to this question, but I just haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help, or feel free to link to another post if I've glossed over a thread that already answers this question.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Welcome Adrian, you're in the right place for XK questions. Look at the sticky link at the top of the main page for DIY/Facts. On that page you will find the topic of what to look for when purchasing an XK8/R.

If you are looking at a MY 2004, you will have eliminated two of your concerns. The '04 models have the metal secondary tensioners and do not break. The cylinder linings are no longer Nikasil type and eliminate that problem. Control arms are no more of an issue here than with other cars of this vintage.

Happy hunting and good luck finding the best car out there.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

+ 1

Tensioners and Nikasil issues were resolved before 2004 MY. The downside is the electrics had become more complex.

Service history is critical with any Jaguar and with that mileage it should have been serviced at time intervals of 12 Months and not mileage intervals of 10K. Push for an explanation of any gaps.

Sit down with the Driver's Handbook and check every switch and function works. Subsequent repairs of apparently minor items can be costly.

Also check it comes with 2 Black Headed master keys, 1 Green Headed valet key and 2 remotes. A master key costs over $100 to replace.

Hope is checks out OK.

Graham

Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

And, although it's winter, check the aircon blows cold.
Also sit in it with the heating off until the windscreen steams up and turn on the heated windscreen. You should see an even pattern of demisting. At the same time turn on the heated seats and check for a warm bum.
Get at least a short guarantee (in writing) off the dealer..

Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianBlake
Hi folks,

I'm brand new here and looking for some basic information. I'm considering purchasing a 2004 XKR couple. It has 73,000kms on it (about 45,000 miles). It's for sale by a used car dealer, not the previous owner, so I'm expecting that I will have a hard time getting a service history on the vehicle...
Hi Adrian,

Some good advice provided here by Graham and Steve above.

I was not able to learn much about my vehicle's early history as it was imported here from Japan about 3 years ago. I took mine to the local Jaguar dealer and asked them to check it over for me - especially to look for any electronic error codes. I personally did the checks described by Graham and Steve (although I still managed to miss a couple of minor things in my excitement and haste).

The asking price was very reasonable, so I had some money mentally put to one side if I needed to attend to any early repairs. There was some sense of risk involved but after a lot of research here I was prepared for most eventualities. So far I have had no problems that have caused me any worry and I am building a regular service history (in English) from this point forward.

If you find a good one that you can afford, I am sure you will not regret your purchase!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Check and see if you can purchase an extended warranty.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

You found a good year. As stated prior, make certain EVERYTHING works! Parts are pricey! Check headrest movement up and down, headlamps operate properly, check wheels for any dings or bent rims (inside and out). Check for leather wear on seat side bolsters. See that the tilt/telescopic steering wheel works. Listen for any "rattling" from the snout of the supercharger when idling. You can use any of these issues to barter with if you find you need to. You're gonna love this car!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Give the brakes a good look too. Replacing the Brembo gear is quite expensive if you go through a dealer, about $1500 for the front alone, if I remember right.

It's a fairly easy job to do yourself at a much lower coat, but being able to rattle off the prices for some of the maintenance items makes a good negotiation tactic.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Adrian, I'm guessing it's the one in Mississauga. Looks super sharp and definitely is the year to have. It has the improved 4.2L engine but none of the silly body cladding that was introduced the following year. If it had a better colour combination I would have been all over that car, months ago...

Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by marktmv
Adrian, I'm guessing it's the one in Mississauga. Looks super sharp and definitely is the year to have. It has the improved 4.2L engine but none of the silly body cladding that was introduced the following year. If it had a better colour combination I would have been all over that car, months ago...
You're right Mark, that's the one. You didn't happen to chat with the dealer at all did you? Is that a reasonable price point for that vehicle in this market?

If its been there for months, is there an assumption that there's a problem with it?

And finally, I was going to put a good set of snows on it and drive it year round. Is that a ridiculous idea? I don't have storage for two cars...

Thanks

Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I have had luck with calling local dealers and giving them the serial number and they told me what work was performed, most automakers today keep track of maintenance done to their cars. Of course if the PO went to a indy shop, you are out of luck unless you happen to call the one the PO went too.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '04 xkr

Adrian, I haven't contacted the dealer because the black interior is a no-go for me (personal preference).
The price is fair given the year, mileage and the general rarity of coupes.
If I'm not mistaken, it's been there for about two months, and they've just dropped the price by $2K. Don't think there anything wrong with it, XK's in general tend to be a very difficult sell for dealers.
As for driving it in the snow - with proper tires it will do just fine. I drive an XJR year-round, with all the driver aids it is very easy to drive in the snow. The only issue that I can see with the XK is the frameless side windows that lower themselves when you open the door and raise to seal when you close it. Sealing may not work that great if you're parked outside during freezing rain...

Go check it out and test drive it. I'm sure you'll love it!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

I have 2004, one issue it had was a leaky fuel rail, expensive fix. See if you can smell gas with the hood open. Other issues were failed intercooler pump and the trans oil they used that year often caused the tranny to growl (just an annoying noise). No other issues. Be aware a lot of the mod stuff is for older cars if you decide to mod it. I think they fixed something like 450 items in the 2004 run so it should be fare more reliable than older years overall.