XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Hydraulic Fluid Replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Green Shower...NO staining

I had the pleasure this summer, fortunately my favorite sweatshirt was available for mop up. In spite of the fluid everywhere on the headliner, seats and console, there was no staining. I blotted up the mess and got on with buying the better quality hoses. You cannot tell that there was a hydraulic failure overhead.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob OB
I had the pleasure this summer, fortunately my favorite sweatshirt was available for mop up. In spite of the fluid everywhere on the headliner, seats and console, there was no staining. I blotted up the mess and got on with buying the better quality hoses. You cannot tell that there was a hydraulic failure overhead.
I'm guessing you didn't have either the resistor or hydraulic relief valve installed....correct? I guess I will install the relief valve kit.

Does anyone know if there is ever a group buy from the forum?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

My biggest concern was "lazy" operation of the latch. It would be slow to release the roof on opening and sometimes not be extended by the time the roof showed up upon closing. Had to get the latch circuit manually bled out to solve it.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid on the garage floor by back wheel

I've been reading the forum to learn how the hydraulic system works. I put my top down and it won't come back up. I've tried to follow the directions for resetting the computer by holding down the buttons and removing the battery cable but neither worked. Because the top was down I thought that might be the problem so I manually raised the top and tried again. Neither worked this time either but this time I had a small puddle of hydraulic fluid on the floor. Is there an overflow for the fluid? When I manually raised the top I hope the fluid found it's way back to the reservoir and the leak was from an overflow. Can anyone knowledgeably comment on this?

Also the top latch in the front doesn't want to fully close and the rear windows won't function either. If that helps

Old 06-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by khaskins
I've been reading the forum to learn how the hydraulic system works. I put my top down and it won't come back up. I've tried to follow the directions for resetting the computer by holding down the buttons and removing the battery cable but neither worked. Because the top was down I thought that might be the problem so I manually raised the top and tried again. Neither worked this time either but this time I had a small puddle of hydraulic fluid on the floor. Is there an overflow for the fluid? When I manually raised the top I hope the fluid found it's way back to the reservoir and the leak was from an overflow. Can anyone knowledgeably comment on this?

Also the top latch in the front doesn't want to fully close and the rear windows won't function either. If that helps

Sounds like a lift cylinder seal failed or the hydraulic cable burst on the side of the leak by the rear wheel. There is no overflow...this is a sealed system.

See www.jagrepair.com for extensive details on the hydraulic system and its repair.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Default jag xks 96 convertible top fluid

my top would only close about 1/3. i had my friend watch the hoses because it would open ok.
he said air was bubbling in the hose when i tried to make it go up.
did some research and decided to use the pentosin 11s. filled the tank and the top goes up and down smoothly.
i bought the pentosin at Advance Auto for $25.
ed

Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 PM

I broke a hydraulic line on my xkr. The tubes wore out and need replacing. I have been reading the info on this website and others to get instructions for replacing the lines. I intended to flush the fluid and replace it as part of the rebuild so I tried taking the pump out. the brown connectors on the solenoids broke. I don't believe that the pump is damaged, just the connectors. Who makes the pump? does anyone know where I can get the solenoids? I've talked to top hydraulic, they haven't told me so far. They want to do a complete rebuild on the pump.

Also, the cylinder on the passenger side at the bottom doesn't look as though I can remove the tube. The connection looks like a capillary tube of some sort. I'm afraid I'll break it. How do you remove the tube from this cylinder?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Default Picture of passenger cylinder

I'm trying to upload a picture of the connection.

Attached Thumbnails Convertible Top Hydraulic Fluid Replacement....-20140816_173216%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Hi Klaus, thank you for the info. I have both rear cylinders removed already on my 99 KK8. Waiting to get the time to remove the header latch then all will be on their way to you for repair,. Thank you again for the info. Rich

Old 08-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Klaus, got a quick question. I broke on of my convertible pump solenoids (blue dot one), where can I get a replacement or have it repaired? Thanks,
trchaves

Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This is a link to Top Hydraulics they can help you

Link Jaguar Convertible Top Hydraulic System Rebuild/Upgrade Service - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Note Never, Never Force the plug off the solenoids!!!

Last edited by Gus; 08-21-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added Note
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am presently selling the Pressure Relief Valve designed by LSI. You can contact me by email gus@jagrepair.com for more information. FYI They are presently on back order.

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8
I'm guessing you didn't have either the resistor or hydraulic relief valve installed....correct? I guess I will install the relief valve kit.

Does anyone know if there is ever a group buy from the forum?