XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top issue I haven't seen...switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Convertible top issue I haven't seen...switch?

Starting to work on my budget build project. One issue it had when I bought it was with the top. It would go down as normal but not up. I did a bunch of searches on here and none of the symtoms matched mine exactly.
I was testing my car keys(one didnt got o car) to see which to keep. I put the key in the door and turned it for a min and all the sudden the rear windows inch up! Exciting. It means to me I can jump them to go up somehow. Did the key thing again to put the top and windows down, then put key in door back in lock position and all of the sudden the top starts to go up, and the whole process works perfectly and the windows go up. This still will not happen with the switch in the car. To me that tells me the up side of the switch is gone bad. Can sometime confirm or speak on this from experience? I put the tip down and up 4x with the key in the door to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts

Erron,

Looks like you have diagnosed the problem and now you just need to check the switch. Rev Sam has some slick YouTube videos (all listed in the Stickies thread above) and one shows you how to easily get access to the switch for testing continuity - link below.

You're in a rare minority if this is the only issue you have with the convertible top.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Great, thank you! So far it seems like it may be the only issue. It looks like the prev owner replaced a line and the pump at some point.

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Erron,

Looks like you have diagnosed the problem and now you just need to check the switch. Rev Sam has some slick YouTube videos (all listed in the Stickies thread above) and one shows you how to easily get access to the switch for testing continuity - link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU8QeZWoWr0

You're in a rare minority if this is the only issue you have with the convertible top.