XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Issues + Other electrical issues

Old 02-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Issues + Other electrical issues

Just bought a 1997 XK8, Hit the "roof" button, back windows go down and it beeps however no movement, or even noises, from the roof.

Retractable top hasn't been used since 2000, got it from my great grandma who refused to put it down... could lack of use cause this problem?

It only has 19,500 miles and the mechanic said everything else was in great condition (Mechanically) however the ABS light is on as well as "Traction failure and Steering failure" (or something like that) appear where the millage would be normally. Mechanic said there were no issues and that it was probably a computer or sensory issue that he wouldn't bother fixing (due to the price) as long as I'm okay with the lights being on. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Old 02-21-2016, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Lets see if we can help get things sorted out for you. First you need to insure that the battery is in very good condition and holding a good charge. Your best bet is to go to the auto parts store and have it load tested.
ASC Traction Control I think is the most sensitive module in the system. Any time my battery is just a little low or on its last legs the ASC Traction Control Not Available comes up.
ABS light, here is where I don't believe your mechanic is well versed in Jaguars. You need to have the codes read and get back to us with the numbers that are read. Common problems are dirty speed sensors, damaged wiring to sensors and the terminals in the ABS Control Module
Go to the top of the XK8. forum and go to the How To-DIY link and scroll down for the ABS repair information. It is pretty straight forward and relatively simple procedures.

Now for the big problem, Convertible Top. Lets start at the basics.

1. Remove the passenger side trunk liner at the fender to expose the pump. Have someone press top down and verify that the pump is in fact not running. Check the fluid level in the window on the side of the sump and make sure there is fluid. Check the small Tee shaped knob and insure it is tightly closed clockwise. The tee releases the pressure for manual operation and can vibrate open.

2. In the trunk fuse box check for blown fuses at Fuse 66 Top up and Fuse 67 Top down. If bad replace and try again. If good it is on to the relays.

3. In the trunk is a row of 6 relays (picture attached for location) Remove the 2nd relay from the left and swap it with the 3rd relay from the left.
The 2nd relay is Top Down and the 3rd is LH Window Up. Try the top down button again. If it works you need to replace the relay

4. There is a control module for the Top Operation but since the Quarter Windows work I don't think we need to go there yet.

Try the things listed and see if it sorts out the problem. It is possible that the ram micro-switches are not set but let's try these other things first.

Get back to us with some of the results and we can move on from there.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
xk8 fuse box layout.doc (109.0 KB, 143 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
JimmyL (02-21-2016), XxXxXxXxX (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 966 Likes on 766 Posts

Definitely check fluid level first. At some point, replace the fluid because the original top fluid turns to jelly and causes other issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the pump motor is shorted which blew the fuse because of that fluid. Let's hope it's not though.

The following users liked this post:
XxXxXxXxX (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Received 4,173 Likes on 3,636 Posts

XxXxXxXxX - good advice given above.

As this is your first post, please take a moment and post an intro in the New Members section. In return, you will receive a warm welcome and useful tips on forum navigation

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

XxXxXxXxX (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If the car has been sitting for a long time the first thing I would check is the battery a low battery can cause erroneous flags. I would like to see any OBDII codes first before I would be concerned of any real problems.

As for the roof operation because your car is a 1997 it is possible that it may have the old hydraulic fluid in it so I would check to see if the fluid is brown or green in color the brown has a tendency to gel then check the fluid level. Green is good! The pump tank is located in the right fender well. If it is low and brown then drain it and refill with the proper fluid. Fill to the top embossed line on the tank.

Link to pump and refilling JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

I would siphon the fluid out from the top I would not remove the pump to do this the hoses and wire connectors are fragile. Then check that the petcock (“T” handle) on the pump is closed (clockwise).

When operating the roof be sure that the pump is running after the rear quarter windows are open and you hear the tone. If the pump is not running you need to check the fuses to it that are located in the trunk fuse box.

Do this first and see what takes place.

Last edited by Gus; 02-21-2016 at 08:17 AM.
XxXxXxXxX (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Great advice in the posts above. These cars require a fully-charged, powerful battery at all times. Without one, all sorts of spurious warning messages immediately show up. And yes, you do need to read the OBDII codes and report them here for further assistance. And yes, you do need to ensure that your ragtop pump is running the newer, better green-colored Pentosin fluid....

Your great grandma must be pretty cool (and limber) to have driven an XK8!

XxXxXxXxX (02-21-2016)