XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top latch hydraulic problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Jaguar fixed the top hose leak problem with the introduction of the 2007 car with a completely redesigned top. Jaguar knew of the extremely high failure rate from 1997 to 2006 and did nothing about it beyond their warranty repairs. Long been my belief that such treatment of consumers should have been criminally prosecuted. Would have been if it had been a safely related issue.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Yes hose failures are a problem and we addressed it and found the root of the cause being the excessive pressure produced by the pump to operate the system. As for the newer Jaguars being subjected to the problem is a hard question to answer we would need to know the year car you are speaking of. You have two hoses to choose from the one from Jaguar that is the same as the original and the other developer by an independent contractor that will withstand any pressure the pump has to offer. As for the pressure we have addressed it and a pressure relief valve has been designed as an add on by an independent contractor and is available. Keep in mind the hose to the center latch (the one that fails the most) is only one hose set in the system.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

I agree with test_point on this. To say that the pump pressure was excessive or that the hoses were inadequate is really the same statement. Jaguar had to know for years that one or the other of these needed to be changed. Reliable hydraulic convertible top systems have been around for years.

The hose set to the latch surely fails more than the other hoses because it sees more pressure (about 700 psi more) in an unmodified system. The effects of heat on the components above the windshield come into play too.

Both the relief valve and the voltage reduction approaches reduce peak pressure to prevent hose failures, but we should never have had to do either. No excuse for all the years of green showers.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to this forum. Thanks for being here.
I have a 98 XK8 convertible with a problem. I have schematics but I need information about the operation of the Body Processor Module control of the convertible top. The last time I raised the top the rear side windows did not come up. The top did come up and latch but the sequence stopped at that point. Now the top will not go back down and the windows are open. I've checked all related fuses and relays. If I press the top up button nothing happens and no relays actuate. If I press the top down button the down relays for the windows actuate but do nothing since the windows are down. I tried to manually open the top following the procedures in the owners manual but it will not go down. In unlatch it withe the allen wrench and goes up an inch or so and no further. If I knew more about the Body Processor Module it might help to isolate the problem further.

Also, are there any diagrams for removing various panels to gain access to some of the components in the schematics?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

Forget the BPM for a minute. The sequence of operation is that there are two micro switches involved in the top. One at the top of the right hydraulic ram and the other associated with the top latch. They are wired in series to report to the BPM that the top is latched and to proceed with the quarter window operation.

The latch micro switch has more reported problems than the ram switch.

The windows are, most likely, a symptom, not part of the problem.

I would close the top and use the Allen key to unlock and lock it as firmly as possible. That may, or may not fix the problem. I had this problem once and manually cycling the top down and back up with the Allen key latch fixed it. You may have to have help manually unlocking the back top mechanism. The manual operation is covered in your owners manual. The owners manual can be found here: Jaguar USA - Jaguar Cars

You will also find the JTIS software useful. It is the full dealer service documentation in use through '03. It can be downloaded free from here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...oad-site-9933/

Try all that and if you are unsuccessful jump back here and someone will be here to help. You might also want to try GUS's off forum site. He is the resident convertible top 'spert.

Auto Repair

Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanks Test point.
I am having trouble manually putting the top down. I rotate the hydraulic valve in the trunk and open the latch with the allen wrench per the inatructions. Then I try to lift the front edge of the top but it will only move about an inch. There seems to be hydraulic pressure holding it. How do I relieve that pressure to get it to move?

I'm downloading the manual you mentioned.
Thanks
Bobinaz123

Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinaz123
Thanks Test point.
I am having trouble manually putting the top down. I rotate the hydraulic valve in the trunk and open the latch with the allen wrench per the inatructions. Then I try to lift the front edge of the top but it will only move about an inch. There seems to be hydraulic pressure holding it. How do I relieve that pressure to get it to move?

I'm downloading the manual you mentioned.
Thanks
Bobinaz123

Bob,

Welcome from here too.

Be careful with manually lowering the top. Jaguar deliberately left this out of the owner's manual (they tell you not to try) because you need to know about a procedure ... manually pushing on a specific point in the ram linkage to get things started. If this does not ring a bell, please stop until further research.

You can damage the top by trying to manually open it.

Keep posting; good luck.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Thanks. I did stop when I felt resistance. Where do I find the secret spot on the ram linkage?

Bob

Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Here are the instructions:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
conv.pdf (223.8 KB, 262 views)
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-01-2017)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM

I got a message that said I do not have the proper privledges to access the link you sent. Is there another way? Can you send it to my email address?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You normally get privileges automatically after your first 10 posts and 3 days minimum since you joined.

You can welcome some new members in the welcome section to get your post count up.

Otherwise you can post your email address and I will send a note to the admin to remove it once I send you the document.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

2 more days bob, and 5 more posts will set you free! (so to speak) Enjoy!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks White XKR. I'll wait til I reach the minimums.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks H2OBoy. Thanks for your work on this site.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Just in case I can't fix this problem, does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Phoenix area other than the dealer in Scottsdale?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM

By the way, this is the first real problem I've had with my 98 XK8 since I baught it new. Hooray for Jaguar

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Well, I got the instructions to lower the top manually. However, after rotating the valve on the pump ccw and opening the latch, there is still pressure on the rams. It's impossible to move the rams. Any suggestions?

Bob

Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

There is a hinge under the curtain on each side that must be pushed back before it will fold. It is just kinda locked in place by the weight of the top. Hard to describe how to do it but once you have done it is is easy.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM

Well, I tried pushing down on the hindge and ram and no way can I move it. I'm probably to weak at 72. I contacted a mechanic, British Auto in Scottsdale to have him look at it. Does anyone know this company?

Bob F

Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

I also visited gusglikas.com and found lots of great info. I checked all fuses twice, and tried all the procedures outlined by Gus. Nothing happens.

Quick Reply: Convertible top latch hydraulic problem