XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top reset question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible top reset question

I know this is an old subject to most but I just acquired my 99 XK8. First time I ran the top down I did not know to not stop and I paused it several times because I wanted to see how it folded. I finally lowered it all the way but the windshield latch never closed. I then drove it with the top down and had a warning message about top not latched. So then when I put it up it went all the way and the latch grabbed the top and locked it down. No more warning messages. Now when I try to open the top the windows all drop as expected, the pump comes on briefly, top never unlatches and pump stops. If I then press top up the windows come back up but no activity about the top. I have read here about manually lowering the top but my owners manual says never do that. I'm thinking I need to switch off the pump in the back, unlatch the windshield latch and lower it all the way and latch the windshield again. Then turn the pump back on and try to raise it. Question is: Am I OK to do this or am I going to damage it worse. And also should I do some other reset method also. My owners manual does not mention any reset procedures. Thank for your help in advance. By the way, the car was examined previous to my purchase and the top worked fine at that time so I don't suspect leaks or low fluid.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:36 PM

So now after all that and trying the battery cable reset, did not try the manual lowering and raising, I go out to the car, lower the front windows, start the car, and on the third attempt the top goes down, then I can bring it back up. Did both 2 more times and all works. Afraid to try with the windows up or car not running but I'm sure I will later. Would be nice to be able to open and close from the door key without getting in and starting the engine. Go figure, a guess it healed itself?

Old 12-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Try a good old fashioned window reset. It worked with mine.

Doors closed. Windows all the way down and hold to hear a faint click. Windows all the way up and hold till you hear the click. Then try the hood again.

Let me know if it works wont you?

Old 12-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Seems now all is working including open from the door lock. I'm new to this car but it seems to me that the system struggles a but too much to unlatch and relatch. I'm guessing 10-15 seconds from the start of the pump to latch opening. Is this normal or should I look for something maybe needing fixed?

Old 12-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Check the fluid in the translucent pump reservoir in the right sidewall of the trunk. If you have yellowish-brown fluid it needs to be replaced with Pentosin CHF-11S . The yellowish brown fluid gels with age and becomes sluggish.

If you have greenish tinted fluid you are OK, but make sure the level is between the two embossed lines in the middle of the resevoir.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks. Car is a 99 and I'm betting the original fluid is in it since it has only 28k miles. What kind of nightmare is it to change the fluid?

Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Not that bad. See: JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource. Thanks to Gus for this.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-03-2017 at 08:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Fyi the top down cycle should take no more than 20 seconds. I remember asking when I first got mine. Fwiw mine takes about 14 seconds from door key.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

It cannot be overstated just how many gremlins a weak battery can set loose in these cars. Part of what you're seeing may relate to this.

If you have a digital voltmeter, the best metric is the "rest voltage" ... the voltage measured after a full charge and then eight hours or so with no activity. Another option is to go to Advance Auto (or similar) and have them do a free load test.

BTW, so far nothing you've reported looks scary.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:50 AM

I will check the battery today with a load test, etc. Also check the fluid color.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

If the engine is running whilst the roof is being put up or down, unless there is an unlikely alternator fault, the battery condition should not effect the roof up/down proceedings. However as unlikely as it seems the window settings will. So before you take on more complicated efforts try the windows reset I mentioned above.

I disconnected my battery to work on my drivers seat and when I reconnected I had all sorts of weird roof problems. I did a window reset and it solved those roof problems.