XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible window does not drop to allow door to open

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible window does not drop to allow door to open

Greetings from the UAE! My beautiful 2005 XK8 convertible (but relatively new to me) developed a frustrating quirk yesterday.

On trying to exit the car, as the door is opened, the windows (both sides) do not drop that little bit required to allow the door to open. I have to use the switch to open the window and the, once I am outside the car with the door closed I hold the key in the door in the lock position until all the windows close.

On trying to get into the car, the same thing happens so I have to hold the key in the unlock position until the windows open (including the rear triangular windows).

I have tried the re-set, re-teach method explained in other threads and this has not worked. I don't think the battery is dying and don't want to go to the expense of replacing it if that is not the problem.

All advice will be gratefully accepted.

I really hope the solution is simple as I am as technical as a brick and from my only interaction with the local dealer and service agent here, I have no faith they would be able to solve anything themselves.

Looking forward to your pearls of wisdom please.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum robsti,

1. has the problem just started or has it been like that since you got the vehicle?
2. is it the same on both driver's and passenger side?

Provided the top and bottom limit switch reset procedure has been carried out correctly on both sides of the vehicle, the vast majority of times the drop function doesn't work is due to a failing battery.

However, the usual fault is the window progressively drops further each time the door is opened and will then not go back up automatically - different from the symptoms you describe.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
robsti (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 05:14 AM

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply and the welcome.

The problem presented itself yesterday and I have had the car about three months. Yes, it is on both sides.

The battery certainly doesn't feel like it is unhealthy (although as I said before that is definitely not a technical assessment of the battery health)

I will head over to the newbies area soon...

Cheers for now,
Robin

Old 02-02-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Don't know about your area but here in the colonies any auto parts store would be elated to test your battery for free.

I was going to add that micro switches in the door lock have caused problems but since you have the same problem in both doors I am back to agreeing with the battery as the most likely villain.

Next would be the module in the driver door. That controls both doors I believe.

robsti (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had this problem in the past, but resolved it by carrying out a hard reset of the ECU. Basically, you disconnect the battery and hold the positive and negative leads (away from the battery) together for about 15 seconds. You then reconnect the battery and the problem should be solved. You will have to re-set the windows as described in the posts above. Good luck.

robsti (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:29 PM

Thank you test point and renaultvation for your suggestions.

If I disconnect the battery as per your suggestion, renaultvation, is there one terminal I should disconnect before the other or does it not matter? Ditto, when I reconnect is there a recommended sequence?

Also, when I have reconnected, will all the car's computer info (like trip meter, radio info etc.) be deleted, or will the car just pick up where it left off...?

Old 02-03-2016, 04:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by robsti
.... If I disconnect the battery is there one terminal I should disconnect before the other or does it not matter? Ditto, when I reconnect is there a recommended sequence?

Also, when I have reconnected, will all the car's computer info (like trip meter, radio info etc.) be deleted, or will the car just pick up where it left off...?
The Jaguar recommendation is to disconnect the NEGATIVE cable first. here's the 2004MY onwards disconnect procedure from JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System) the Workshop Manual:

Convertible window does not drop to allow door to open-battery-disconnect.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

And this is the reconnect procedure:

Convertible window does not drop to allow door to open-battery-reconnect.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

For a 'hard reset', it's not necessary to remove the POSITIVE cable.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-03-2016 at 04:18 AM.
robsti (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 05:25 AM

Thank you very much. I shall give this a go and let you know how it turns out!

Last question, Graham, are you suggesting that I only need to remove the NEGATIVE lead and then touch it to the POSITIVE lead while the POSITIVE is still attached to the battery terminal? Please confirm before I blow anything up out of ignorance.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

That's correct. With the negative cable off the battery nothing is going to blow up.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:13 AM

So do I need to touch the negative lead to the positive terminal or is simply removing the negative enough to get the job done?

Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Touch the cable that you removed from the negative post to the positive post.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:12 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Yes have the battery tested the fact that both door windows are not dropping leads me in the direction of a low voltage battery. Once the battery is checked you will need to reset the windows and that procedure is not tricky however, what most forget to do is to be in the car with the doors closed and to listen for the clock from that door and in each position up and down.

Link to window reset JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Are you able to lock the doors with your remote?