XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Light On

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Light On

I need advice on how to change my coolant on an XK8. I purchased coolant and opened the hood thinking that it would be an easy process. Not! I can't get to the radiator due to how it is situated in the engine compartment. What tool do I need to remove that covering? Also, is there any advice anyone can give me to perform this maintenance as best that I can? I really appreciate anyone's help with this. Thanks and have a great New Year!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi John,
I am not an expert, but I'll tell you what I know about it. There is an Overflow Tank on the left side of the Engine Compartment. You can use your left Windshield Wiper as a close point of proximity. There is a simple Cap on top of the Overflow Tank. Just unscrew it and add your Anti-freeze directly to the tank rather than the Radiator. Hopefully, that is all that is needed. Some of us have had the problem of topping off the tank..................and still having the "Low Coolant" light stay on. Hopefully, that is not so in your case, but if it is, that's a different problem that you can check back for advise on.
Good luck!
Brian

Old 12-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Default Thanks Brian!

You're a Godsend, Brian. I was thinking of doing the same thing by adding the coolant to the Overflow tank. I now shall. As you stated, I have read on how some of us have had problems with the sensors while seeking information for my issue....hopefully not I....fingers crossed..... Anyway, thanks again and have a rewarding, happy, and wonderful New Year !

Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

if you've got a slow leak, could be from that very expansion tank you're using to top it off, the thermostat housing, or the water pump, all common on these cars after some years of operation.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks, I'll check all of that out. I appreciate it!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

First of all go to my page and look at the two areas I have on the coolant system. The thermostat housing replacement and coolant tank. Now what I want you to do is to look at the coolant tank and locate it in your car. It should be directly to your right around the 1-2 o’clock position if you are standing on the left side of the car. I think you may be looking at the thermostat housing and you do not want to fill it at that location. Removing the top on that may provide you with another leak.

Now your question is how to change the old for new? I have not done this on this car and I am not sure of a good process. The best is to drain the radiator (the plug is on the lower right corner of the radiator (facing out))and the engine block (the plug is on the rear left side of the cylinder block) and flush with clear water re-drain and fill with the proper mixture of water and antifreeze. Now Alldata has a 2 page procedure!
If you think you have a leak you can examine your cars hoses and see if you can find it and chances are that you will not locate the problem the first try. I have been told of leak at the seams of the coolant tank and or the hose that goes under the manifold to the bulkhead and it is no pleasure to replace.

Chances are you are losing coolant over an extended period of time you are like the rest of us. Just top it off and keep on driving.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a leak around my plastic thermostat housing somewhere and am replacing it. I ordered an aluminum thermostat housing and uroparts upper and lower hoses (uroparts was recommended because it is thicker than avg hose).

I'm half way through the process and it's easier than I thought. I'm waiting for the 8mm (absolutely required!) crowfoot wrench so I can finish.

I hate that burnt coolant smell in my garage when I come home... the smoke also seeps into the cabin and I'm sure it's not healthy to breathe.

Here's a thread with great info about this procedure:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3569.html

Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

You can use a bent wrench and vice grips to reach those two bolts in the rear of the t-stat housing.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Light On-bentwrench.jpg   Coolant Light On-bentwrench.assy.jpg   Coolant Light On-bentwrench.vice.grips.jpg