Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner Dash Vent and Instrument Panel Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Corner Dash Vent and Instrument Panel Rattles

There were two distinct noises coming from the area around the plexiglass instrument panel. One was a buzzing high frequency rattle, and the other sounded like two parts knocking against each other. The noises would abate if pressure was applied to various pieces of the dash and instrument panel; or if sections were pulled out under light tension.

Instrument Binnacle Loose behind Wood Fascia - The first noise was caused by two spring clips that had fallen off. There are six clips which fasten the round black dial tubes up against the rear face of the wood instrument panel backing using metal tabs. Two of the clips had fallen off the tabs.

When they refused to snap back on, I simply bent the tabs over and pinned them down. This is probably a one-time fix because if I ever need to remove the two sections, the tabs would need to be straightened and I am certain they would break off. However, these two parts are already epoxied together so it didn't seem to matter.

There were also some areas where the epoxy seal had lifted, so I added more epoxy and clamped the parts back together.

Corner Vent Rattle - The left corner vent finisher [the triangular wood part] is attached by three prongs which are pressed into place on the vent housing. Two of tabs on the vent housing had broken off allowing the vent finisher to rattle.

The fix was to use a couple of speed nut/clips to fasten the prongs tightly against the housing where their was still enough of an edge to catch the corners of the speed nut clips. See pics.

Upon assembly, double sided tape was also applied to the edge of the corner vent housing where the wood instrument panel finisher overlaps it. This seals the two pretty tightly.

Additional Squeaks - Some of the squeaking noise was sourced to where the round instrument tubes meet the plexiglass cover over the instruments. If they touched each other, often there was a squeaking noise.

The fix was to insert a washer between these two panels. Now instead of using the two screws to mount the wood facia at the bottom; two 8mm allen head bolts were used, with washers as spacers, and 8mm nuts behind the panel. The knee panel must be removed in order to access the rear of the wood fascia and mount the nut on the bolt. However, this is an easy panel to remove... just two torqx bolts at the bottom of the panel and they don't need to be completely removed.

The washer provides a little gap between the edge of the round instrument tube and plexiglass cover over the instrument dials.

Finally, some extra extra mush wrap [cushioned cell foam] was added around some of the wiring harnesses in the area that might be knock against a panel or housing.

So far no more rattles. I love the fact that my Jag is so quiet. If I want noise I have a 400 HP twin turbo to ride around in. This fix helps to keep my Jag a sanctuary of quiet comfort in a sea of highway chaos. Amen

Attached Thumbnails Corner Dash Vent and Instrument Panel Rattles-cornervent-002.jpg   Corner Dash Vent and Instrument Panel Rattles-cornervent-003.jpg   Corner Dash Vent and Instrument Panel Rattles-cornervent-006.jpg   Corner Dash Vent and Instrument Panel Rattles-cornervent-010.jpg   Corner Dash Vent and Instrument Panel Rattles-cornervent-018.jpg  

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 06-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.