Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could sure use a hand with Turn Switch Wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Could sure use a hand with Turn Switch Wire

Hi Guys, A while ago I lost my Auto headlights function. Since it went on/off with moving the turn signal stalk I knew where to look. Like many other jobs, the first time I got to it was a lengthy learning experience. By the time I had the switch out of the steerling wheel and saw the Purple wire was disconnected, it was getting late so I had to table the permanent fix for a bit.

Today I went back in. Its a lot easier the 2nd time. Well I have to admit it sure looked like the purple wire came off one of the Yellow wire's terminal (could have sworn I saw the nub of the broken connection on it). Wasn't till she was soldered on and back together (it's hard to do a deep test with the battery disconnected for air bag safety), I found I made a bit of a mistake. Two things happened, 1) the auto position functions exactly like the normal headlight position (no pain no gain here); 2) The green Headlamp indicator is not working (this is a twist - I found that I love it without that bright green undimmable light - I don't need it to know my lights are on, the dash is better balanced without it for me ).

Well I want to go back in and get the auto function right. For those who have never seen the turn signal switch, it terminates into a circuit board with about 5 or 6 solder terminals. Each one has at least 1 wire soldered to it. I've got to figure out where the purple (actually looks lavender but never saw that color in a wire diagram) wire that comes from the bottom of the turn signal stalk should be connected.

Does anyone by any chance have a 1998 wire diagram that shows this? (I've looked at the 1999 diagrams and the XJ diagrams that have been published here before - no sign of a purple wire on any of them).

Even more remote but hey you never know: Might you have a turn signal switch laying around in the workship? If you do would you please take a look and let me know where that purple wire should go?

It is winter up here and with so many hazy grey evenings I can't tell you how many times I shake my head at folks in grey cars who don't put their headlights on it is really hard to see them. It's about then when I realize mine are off too - the auto function isn't working and I've got an asphault gray car.

I'd sure appreciate anything you can do. I've spent countless hours trying to download and set up our JITS, but I'm becoming resigned to the fact that something in my PC's Vista operating system is preventing it from launching.

Thank you in advance, I hope I can return the favor real soon.

John

Old 01-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

try this ink to Gus's website - jagrepair.com

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1998.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Thanks Steve