Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade

Hi All,

When I purchased my 2003 XKR Coupe earlier this year I made a deliberate decision to find one with the gauges fitted rather than the satnav screen (that was before I saw all the retro fit options on here! Doh, should have searched.)

To find my way around I have a Garmin satnav system that sticks to the windscreen. I like the Garmin but I dont like having an obstruction to my view, a cable that trails down to the 12v, or sucker rings on my glass

So, now I have discovered 'search' and trawled all the valuable information I could understand from all you previous upgraders, I think I have finalised what/how I'm going to do, but wanted to run it past you first. My car has a standard (non Alpine) system fitted at the moment with no phone.

For the head unit I was thinking of the Kenwood KVT-526+DVD Garmin Nav package
Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade-kenwood-nv-d56g6-kvt526dvd-knag620t.jpg

In order to get a 'factory' look, I need to get hold of a console surround from an XJ6 (what year?) from a breakers, and that this will fit into the space and also cover the DSC/seat heater/hazard buttons. In addition to this I will need an XJ facia surround from nexxia, and also a steering wheel control wiring bundle from them (which says DISCONTINUED on their web site?!!?) Can anyone confirm the parts?

For the speakers I was going to go for JL Audio all round - including an 8" Free Air sub.
Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade-jl-c2-650x.jpg Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade-jl-c2-650.jpg Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade-jl-8w7-3.jpg

All connected via Alpine PDX-5 amp
Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade-alpine-pdx-5.jpg

I think this set-up would give me a rich quality at less than deafening volumes (I have an exhaust for that!) with the MP3/bluetooth/Nav functionality, and as long as I'm careful not to activate the screen when I'm in 'park' it should be ok too.

I checked what was under the sub cover and found this strange looking thing - the wires run down the left side of the fuel tank and disappear into the wing. Any ideas anyone? I would obviously need to move/remove the thing, but what is it? Don't want to cause cataclysmic sensor/electrical faults.

Was also gong to do the thing with the antenna, maybe fit a bit of Dynamat or similar sound deadening material.

I will be getting a professional shop to install it, probably just after Christmas (can buy all the kit in the sales then)

Hope you can confirm I'm going in the right direction, and what that doohicky is in the sub cover.

Cheers!
Neil

Attached Thumbnails Coupe multi-media/audio upgrade-what-.jpg  

Last edited by x-biker; 11-27-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add bits
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Looks like a good system you have planned out. Hmm, you don't even have a sub in there, that blows. That doohicky looks like the little speaker for the backup sensors...mine is actually installed under a little upholstered flap just behind the armrest in the backseat area. You can mount it anywhere you want, as long as you can hear the beeping when you are about to tag that car behind you.

Here is the thread with the fascia info, not sure if it has the older xj6 model that it is related too..but a quick google will surely find the generation you need, if you are going to source a salvage one. It was only $65 US, so what is that...$35 for you? that's not too bad for a new, unblemished trim piece.

I think that thread also has part IDs for the steering wheel controls, even if kenwood doesn't make one specifically for this head unit, a universal one like the PAC unit can be programmed to do what you want for your buttons. Have fun with the project, can't wait to see it when its finished!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
That doohicky looks like the little speaker for the backup sensors...mine is actually installed under a little upholstered flap just behind the armrest in the backseat area. You can mount it anywhere you want, as long as you can hear the beeping when you are about to tag that car behind you.

Thanks for the info!! Had a look, and you are right, it is the speaker for the reversing sensors - thank you for clearing that up.

Didn't realise the new console price was so cheap - so I'll buy a new one of the part number you pointed me to in the thread - thanks again.

Yet again, this place ROCKS

I'll post pics/thoughts when its done.

Neil