XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor

Starting problems codes read P1336 , p1316.

I was told the first code was for the CKPS, crankshaft position sensor and to replace it. Someone was kind enough to post the infor copied below but I am having a hard time understanding it.

__
Ok, lets slow down here, previously you said the codes were only abs, but now something totally different.

Its not a coil pack doing this.I can remove two coil packs and start this car.

Its the crank sensor. Lets face it, your never going to be able to disconnect the fastener and reconnect the new on and run the wire. Jaguar buried this behind 6 hours worth of mechanical removal and installation of engine components and no one here can help you.

What you will find is the tip of it messed up and the first inch of wiring not usable.

All you do is cut the oem wiring harness close to the OEM sensor as possible of good wire

, so you have plenty of wire to tap onto your new sensor and its wire.

Use heat shrink tubing over the two connections,. You can solder the connection or just twist the wires together,either will work fine, as long as its not hanging low to the ground.

You will need a 8mm wrench,no socket will ever work, its in the center of the tranny face area.

Part 2. You will notice a ground strap wire on the passenger side going to the tranny, it will be toasted green.This strap is responsible for the sensors failure and alternator failure to come and other gremlins.

Jaguar made sure you could not replace this strap without removing the tranny, because the bolt will not come out enough to allow its release.
Simply run a new wire-(amplifier wire is fine), and a slotted connection to the tranny bolt,and regular circular connection to the passenger bolt.

____

I am sure this is clear to someone who has more experience but I am not following the post and there has been no follow up to my thread on this.

The care is 1997 xk8 coupe

Thanks much

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (03-20-2020)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Ill make it easy.

1.Jack up passenger side of car, apply parking brake and support vehicle on a jack stand as well.

2.Remove passenger tire.

3. Remove the old crank sensor with a 8mm wrench,center front of tranny.

4.Splice the new sensor's wiring onto the old sensor's wiring.
Seal the splice with heat shrink.

NEXT
Part two,look at the corroded green ground strap going to tranny bolt,then to you frame, you are not getting it out either. Jaguar made sure the bolt its on, only comes out with tranny removal - **** holes!

This ground strap is responsible for the failure of your Crank sensor,transmission electronics,starter and alternator failures and not charging issues,dead batteries etc.

My suggestion(NEW) have a stereo installation shop run a ground amp wire from your negative battery terminal in trunk to another tranny bolt or the same one.

That simple, my previous post is just telling you, the connection to the cps sensor and the way jaguar made the wire run, will cost you 6 hours of painful busted knuckles and fluid, when you can just do it my way and spend 10 minutes down there.

The following users liked this post:
pmheindl (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Thanks so much, I got it now. I understand that the ground strap is not directly part of the sensor but a corroded ground strap is the likely cause of the problem in the first place. Much obliged and hope others can benefit from this thread.