XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycling door locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Cycling door locks

On a 1997 there is an odd occurance when trying to exit the vehicle after pulling the key from the lock and pulling the drivers door handle.
The door lock mechanism will go nuts opening and closing the locks multiple times.

Any ideas as to what is going on?
I have lubricated the latches and hard reset the car. Battery is new and fully charged,

Old 10-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

This may sound odd and it is not meant with any malice, but I am so glad to hear you have this problem. My reasoning is that I too, have had this problem, cleaned the micro-switches and have been told it is down to my battery, despite the problem occurring while the engine is running, or with a second healthy battery connected in parallel. However, you have this problem with a new battery, which confirms my suspicions that the problem may lie elsewhere.
I'm sorry I don't have the solution, but wish you well in finding the answer and hope you share it if successful.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The door latch mechanism is often overlooked and does not get the attention it needs. The door latch has 3 micro switches incorporated in its operation and they can at times get out of adjustment or just get sluggish. My first recommendation is for you to spray WD40 into the latch and work the door and then give it a little time to do its thing. With a little luck it will fix the problem as it has for others.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
The door latch mechanism is often overlooked and does not get the attention it needs. The door latch has 3 micro switches incorporated in its operation and they can at times get out of adjustment or just get sluggish. My first recommendation is for you to spray WD40 into the latch and work the door and then give it a little time to do its thing. With a little luck it will fix the problem as it has for others.
Thank you Gus for chiming in on this.
This was not the answer I was hoping for. Jejeee
But I will follow your advise on the WD40 as a cleaning agent.
I had lubricated and worked both door latches with white lithium grease in the hope of the same result.
I will report back so our friend can follow suit if I am succesfull.
Gus we can't thank you enough.
Juan

Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I too have seen this happen, though each and every time it was solved by topping off the battery charge. Juan, this has happend many times, it never seemed to inconvenience me. It always happened as I recall in the very low winter temperatures and always goes away after a long drive or after the short time it takes my battery charger to top things off. It got to the point when it occured I'd think time to hook up the charger. Wish I could be more help but maybe this feedback can point you in the right direction somehow. I wonder if there is any way this could be battery related in your case.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The lithium is a lubricant not a cleaner WD40 is a good cleaner and lubricant on the onset of a problem.

Originally Posted by Autobahn kid
Thank you Gus for chiming in on this.
This was not the answer I was hoping for. Jejeee
But I will follow your advise on the WD40 as a cleaning agent.
I had lubricated and worked both door latches with white lithium grease in the hope of the same result.
I will report back so our friend can follow suit if I am succesfull.
Gus we can't thank you enough.
Juan