XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daytime running lights

Just purchased a 2000 XKR from U,S.A. and was told by the Jaguar dealer that it would cost about a $1,000.00 cdn to hook up the daytime running lights as well as $250.00 to get a proof of recall document. Does this sound right?As I'm new to the jaguar market any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

There are aftermarket DRL modules you can get. The one I got from JC Whitney was made in Canada. About $30US and about an hour to install. Not hard to do, just time consuming.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Daytime running lights are simply a programming change. My Dealer charged me 1 hour labour for this.

The proof of recalls performed letter should have been obtained from the seller as it is free to them from any U.S. dealer.

The reason they are charging so much for these items is an attempt to equalize the price diff from shopping across the border. Do you have another dealer in your area?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great information. I think i can still get the seller to obtain a letter of recall. That will save me some $s.
As for the daytime running lights,i will check out some other dealers , as i want to keep it as original as possible.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to ABorealis, I too live in Winnipeg, Canada. The only Jag dealer in town (Woodhaven) wants $400 to turn on DRL, very adament about that. Where/when did you have it done for 1 hr labour? .....bobsvilla

Old 11-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

one would think at the price point of these cars this type of stuf would be STANDARD.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
There are aftermarket DRL modules you can get. The one I got from JC Whitney was made in Canada. About $30US and about an hour to install. Not hard to do, just time consuming.
Was your Jag wired for DRL and you just plugged in the module or did you have to wire it up yourself?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Are daylight running lights actually REQUIRED in Canada? I always thought the idea of these was idiotic as if you trouble seeing another car during the day time, you just might have more problems than would be solved by having lights on for all of the cars on the road.

Doug

Old 11-30-2009, 01:27 PM

I imported a 2003 XK8 into Toronto last year. The dealer wanted $1000 to turn on the daytime lights, print recall notice, safety & smog test. I obtained a vehicle history print out from a US dealer for free. Got my own safety and smog test and found someone willing to turn the lights on for $60. All that is required to turn the lights on is the jaguar dealer tech's laptop, takes 10 minutes. I got lucky, the tech did it on the sly...he can't do that anymore though, he says. If you talk to an independant tech, they may know someone who will do it for you.
Too bad you just bought one, mine is for sale now.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I just want my lights to turn off on their OWN!!!!!!!!!! Drives me crazy that on my what? $65k xk8, in 97, did not have this standard but my FERD product, Tbird, has the feature.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Bought your car one year too early.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bobsvilla
to ABorealis, I too live in Winnipeg, Canada. The only Jag dealer in town (Woodhaven) wants $400 to turn on DRL, very adament about that. Where/when did you have it done for 1 hr labour? .....bobsvilla
Hi Bob,

Woodhaven is the Dealer and last year was when they programmed DRL for me. At first they quoted between $2G-$3G for provincial inspection/recall clearance/DRL! I informed them all I needed was to flip the switch for DRL and that 1 hour labout was all they charged me two years prior on an XK8. I also informed the newbie on the counter I am an existing client and that I had already spoken to their head Jag Tech about dropping by. I also spoke to the general manager about the rediculous charges they first presented and the answer was, "cross border shopping is killing their used car market so they are trying to discourage it".

Have you had the federal inspection done yet? I have brought 3 cars across the border and each time I had this done, they just asked if the lights have been turned on. No proof was needed. Now would be the perfect time of year to set your lights to auto and book an appointment late in the day to take advantage of the early darkness...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Are daylight running lights actually REQUIRED in Canada? I always thought the idea of these was idiotic as if you trouble seeing another car during the day time, you just might have more problems than would be solved by having lights on for all of the cars on the road.

Doug
Yes Doug, it is the law nationwide unless you have an older car that was not equipped with this from the factory. There is mixed opinion on the effectiveness of this. There are a lot of people on the roads that shouldn't be driving so any extra visibility can't hurt. I know when I drove motorcycles years ago I would always turn on my lights during the day and can attest that it definitely added an extra margin of safety. This was well before DRL existed and was common practice for riders.

I believe there are a number of States that also require it now.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Thx ABorealis,

Both Service & General Manager wanted the $400 to turn on DRL, as you said it's a punitive action for those of us who buy US cars. I just jumped the fuse panel to turn on lights for the federal inspection, would still like to have it done "factory" style.
thx, bob

DRL was something my father taught me many years ago when driving on 2 lane highways. You can be seen much further away with your lights on, that too is why motorcycles have had it for years

Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Daytime running lights

Hello Folks!!...
Sorry to butt in, but I was checking out this thread and I have a question. You say that you have to get something done from Jaguar to turn your lights on??... I bought a 98 XK8 a few months ago, and one of my "Need to fix" is my lights. They work fine at night, but I can't turn them on during daylight. I have to leave the colum switch on "auto", and when it gets dark enough, they come on... Could I be having the same problem as you??... Otherwise it looks like replacing the switch on the steering colum...
Take Care
Fred

Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ABorealis
Yes Doug, it is the law nationwide unless you have an older car that was not equipped with this from the factory. There is mixed opinion on the effectiveness of this. There are a lot of people on the roads that shouldn't be driving so any extra visibility can't hurt. I know when I drove motorcycles years ago I would always turn on my lights during the day and can attest that it definitely added an extra margin of safety. This was well before DRL existed and was common practice for riders.

I believe there are a number of States that also require it now.

They are not required here but I do see these on cars from time to time. If I bought a car that had these, I would pay extra to DELETE this option!

Doug

Old 03-15-2012, 10:23 AM

How does one "find" the tech who will do it on the sly? My experience is that when one calls the dealership service dept, one gets the "pleasure" of speaking to the service manager or service advisor and that they actively discourage speaking directly to the techs. I'm in Ottawa. Any suggestions??

Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wanted to add my own experience here, My rear view mirror started to break down; It got the "lava lamp" look to the gold fluid inside the glass. I had it removed in the odd event that it might leak and eat through the dash. Once the wiring harness is disconnected the night time sensor in the glass no longer worked.

Call me crazy but you might be able to fool the car into 'nightime' mode by playing with the wires. Or even placing a small black sticker over the sensor on the glass.

Tell me if thats a rain sensor, cause mine Never once turned the wipers on automatically...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Dealers charge ridiculous prices for this and the recall letter to offset the discounted price you purchased your vehicle in the US for. They do this to deter people from buying US vehicles, where the costs of vehicles are substantially lower, in hopes you'd rather purchase from them locally. I've heard of some dealers, mainly BMW/Benz/Lexus, that charge upwards of a thousand dollars for the required documentation. Some dealers will bluntly refuse to issue a letter for you.

Canadian Tire is a "certified inspection facility", and they charge about $50 to install a DRL module, a simple box that routes power to the low beams when the ignition is on. I've even heard of "lazy" CT's where they just pocket the inspection fee and waive you through. You can also buy the DRL module on ebay for about $20 and install it yourself, not difficult to do.

Other than for import, DRL's are not actually required in Canada. As in, they won't pull you over if you don't have it. My XKR I bought in Vancouver is originally a US car and doesn't have DRL's (I guess it sneaked through inspection just fine).

Last edited by pomosv; 03-15-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Default Drl

A friend of mine in Winnipeg was given a "ticket" for driving his newer Mercedes without DRL, so it must be mandatory. I thought any car manufactured after 1992 registerred in Canada required DRL regardless of where they were made.

As for my DRL, I had the vehicle in for service at Woodhaven and they slightly damaged one of the BBS wheels. They of course paid to repair the wheel and as a "good" gesture turned on the DRL and did a free alignment.

Quick Reply: Daytime running lights