XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead 2004 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dead 2004 XKR

Just went to start my 2004 XKR. Got in, lights are normal, dash lights come on, turn the ignition, seems normal for about 1/10th of a second and then no power.

Nothing, no lights, no dash, completely dead.

The battery is only a few months old and was on trickle charger a few days back. Ran it once since then and the cat ran fine.

But like I said - it went instantly from normal to completely dead.

I'm looking online for a fuse diagram but don't think there is a 'master' fuse.

Seems unlikely I completely lost the ground connection. Really hot and humid here right now so will check it out in the morning. But figured I would garner your collective wisdom before then.

Cheers all - and thanks.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

There are two master fuses in the trunk behind the spare. The bolts which fasten the cables to these fuse holders have been known to loosen more often than the fuses themselves blowing.

Here is your electrical diagram: http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2003.pdf ('04 and '03 are the essentially the same).

Check the voltage across the battery before you dive too deep...even newer batteries can fail or there could be a parasitic drain in the car.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-21-2014 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bluetone (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 PM

Excellent information - thanks much!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 PM

Checked out the two main fuses and the ground points near the battery. Everything seemed tight. Opened the car door and closed it and on impact the power came back on.

Cleaned the battery terminals and took it for a drive.

Has the following issues:
1. Windshield wipers come on every once in a while (no rain). This frequently happens when I accelerate or brake hard. This has been going on for some months.

2. Sport mode will not engage. No lighted 'S' and j-gate does not function.
This has been going on for some months also. Works most of the time but then cuts out and will not work for 2-3 drives. Then starts working again.

3. New for today - the 'P' flashes red on the console when I put the car in park.

Any thoughts as to all of this being related? Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Thanks all!

Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetone
Checked out the two main fuses and the ground points near the battery. Everything seemed tight. Opened the car door and closed it and on impact the power came back on.

1. Windshield wipers come on every once in a while (no rain). This frequently happens when I accelerate or brake hard. This has been going on for some months.

This has been going on for some months also. Works most of the time but then cuts out and will not work for 2-3 drives. Then starts working again.

3. New for today - the 'P' flashes red on the console when I put the car in park.

Any thoughts as to all of this being related? Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Thanks all!
Yes, disconnect the battery and squeeze the crimps on the battery cables ideally with a small vise. Also inspect for corrosion.

This has been reported to be a problem area on the 2003 and later models.

Also check the power feeds to each fusebox and make sure the bolts are snug and there is no corrosion.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetone

Thanks all!
While I do not have other issues now that you mention it I have the exact same issue as you describe in #1 above about the windsheild wipers. I was thinking maybe I hit the wiper stak accidentally but it has happened a few times.

Strange,