DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures

Old 04-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Great, pics i assume coming.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

If you cut enough of the tang off, you can still put a keychain on it. I still need to adjust the key so that it hides better in the locked position, but it works just fine attaching a larger ring onto the smaller one. FWIW...

Edit, I just finished seating the key tang in the flip mechanism at a more proper angle... now with the key closed, it doesn't stick out of the FOB anymore. It's nice and flush and still closes easily!

And I've just noticed, the FOB and my keys are no longer dangling at my knee. They're up and out of the way!

Thanks again for making us aware of this possibility. I love it!

Attached Thumbnails DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-fobm.jpg  

Last edited by xenophobe; 04-22-2013 at 01:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xenophobe:
Jag#4 (04-21-2013), MRomanik (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice job, looks good!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

very nice! I like how this DIY is being fine tuned... excellent!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys. I absolutely love the idea of having a flip key. Sadly, I have only one key that came with my JagX.

Would it be feasible to purchase the BRAND NEW & UNCUT JAGUAR FLIP KEY and have it cut and programmed along my original key? Otherwise I'd have to buy a second classic key and the flip key on top of it...

Suggestions are as always much appreciated

Old 05-26-2013, 03:56 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyS
Would it be feasible to purchase the BRAND NEW & UNCUT JAGUAR FLIP KEY and have it cut and programmed along my original key? Otherwise I'd have to buy a second classic key and the flip key on top of it...
Unfortunately, no. The transponder in the flip key is of a different type than the XK, so that's why you need to start with an XK key with a transponder. Also, I noticed the tibbe key blade used on the flip key is shorter than the one needed by XK, so if you get an uncut flip key they wouldn't be able to replicate your XK cut - again a reason why you need to start with a XK classic key and as shown in the writeup mod the flip key housing to accept the XK blade.

Good news is that you can buy a used flip key (which is already programmed and cut to another, likely salvage or wrecked, car) which is sold at a deep discount over new. Then just get a key with a transponder (classic XK key) and have a local specialized locksmith or dealer cut and program it for you, and then you can follow with the conversion. The flip key I used was bought on ebay for about $40.

Last edited by pomosv; 05-26-2013 at 03:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dannyS (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dannyS
Hi guys. I absolutely love the idea of having a flip key. Sadly, I have only one key that came with my JagX.
Anyone doing this has to decide if it's worth hacking up their primary key and risk destroying the transponder. It's easy to see how someone could break it trying to extract it. I did it as mentioned above, using a soldering iron to cut away as much excess and to score the key, but the heat gun was absolutely necessary. If you don't have one, I wouldn't attempt to do it.

I honestly think this is one of the most practical XK mods you can actually do. It makes pocketing all your keys so much easier.

dannyS (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

I didnt use an iron on mine, i used a dremmel with a cutting wheel to slowly cutaway the plastic from the transponder.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I guess that would be fine too. I was really cautious when I did mine... I was constantly fearful of destroying the transponder because they are incredibly fragile.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:11 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Anyone doing this has to decide if it's worth hacking up their primary key and risk destroying the transponder. It's easy to see how someone could break it trying to extract it. I did it as mentioned above, using a soldering iron to cut away as much excess and to score the key, but the heat gun was absolutely necessary. If you don't have one, I wouldn't attempt to do it.

I honestly think this is one of the most practical XK mods you can actually do. It makes pocketing all your keys so much easier.
I'm totally impressed. Wish I had a heat gun and some more time!
Cottage-industry possibility for some enterprising soul perhaps?
I can't stand the 1980s-type key & fob on these cars.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great project, this.

Does the green-headed valet key have the same transponder in it as the regular keys? I assume it does as it can be used to drive the car, and I'd rather butcher my valet key than one of my regular keys to extract a useable transponder.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

*bump*

Every time I pick up my keys and put them in my pocket, I appreciate this mod. Huge difference, IMO.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I have just bought a flip key to undertake this conversion, but before I start taking apart an existing key, I thought I would programme the new fob. However, when I follow the instructions on programming for the XK8 I am not getting the chirp noise. Both existing fobs work fine. Neighbours must think I am sending messages, as it is dark now and I have been sitting in the driveway flashing the headlights to all and sundry!

Any thoughts from anyone?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Changing the Battery

OK I feel kind of stupid but I can't figure out where the damn battery door is in this new fob. I figured it would be obvious. (I bought two used just in case I broke one).

[/QUOTE]

Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's a page from the X-Type manual.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures-screen.png  
The following 4 users liked this post by clyons:
Bad Cattitude (08-13-2013), DavidYau (02-22-2019), enderle (06-12-2013), toaster (10-03-2018)
Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this last night and initially had problems programming the fob to the car. When you turn the key with the flasher stalk held back, don't turn it all the way to ignition on, just turn it to the first position, then repeatedly flash the lights and it should chirp. If you go all the way to ignition on (dash lights up etc) then it doesn't chirp.

Also remember you will need to reset all the remotes at the same time before you take the key out again or the other remotes will no longer work.

renaultvation (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Question

Thank you for the advice, but I'm not quite there yet. It chirped after a couple of flashes, so I then pressed a button on the first fob but there was no chirp in response. I then did the same to the second fob, then the new key, before removing the key. The result was that the first fob was reprogrammed, but not the second fob or the new key.

I have tried to repeat the process, but it will not work for a second time. Do I have to leave it for a certain time before trying again? How do I programme the other fob?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Success. Having waited a while, the system chirped again when I flashed the lights. I pressed the button on one fob, but still no chirp in response, but nevertheless I continued with the procedure with the next two and despite no acknowledging chirp response to either, it seems to have worked. Both fobs and the new key all operate.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I wish I'd thought to try & program the remote BEFORE I hacked up my original key. Apparently this new style remote is not comaptible with 97 xk8's. Now I have a fancy looking folding key and still habe to carry the older style transmitter. Also, the 97 key didn't have a transponder in it (I melted down all the plastic & couldn't find one).

As for the clearance issue with the metal loop for a keyring, I found that it comes out & you can reverse it to create more clearance. Yes, it won't look as sleek, but it works.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by kingzetts
Great project, this.

Does the green-headed valet key have the same transponder in it as the regular keys? I assume it does as it can be used to drive the car, and I'd rather butcher my valet key than one of my regular keys to extract a useable transponder.
+1 ??

I doubt I will ever use the valet key. If I could use it for this mod I would do so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures