XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Flip Key Conversion without Reprogramming - Guide with pictures

Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts

Wow! Original creative ideas are rare in the world. Plus you have to be brave to chop into keys! I was all "geared" up to tackle this until on thread no. 76 Jimbo warned me it wouldn't work on my 99 XK8. Bummer!
Still I'm a small Chinese guy so the key fob doesn't knock my knee while I drive but I appreciate that could be annoying to some.
Great thread though.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Wow! Original creative ideas are rare in the world. Plus you have to be brave to chop into keys! I was all "geared" up to tackle this until on thread no. 76 Jimbo warned me it wouldn't work on my 99 XK8. Bummer!
Still I'm a small Chinese guy so the key fob doesn't knock my knee while I drive but I appreciate that could be annoying to some.
Great thread though.
David and all XK8-XKR Owners!

After reading all of your Messages. I think some of you got this but just to make sure I want to point out that by using this process, you will have to destroy your stock XK Key! With this program you will end up with a Replacement Key & Fob combination exactly like the Key that came with the 2005 XJ....(The Flip Key) ! You will have to destroy at least (1) of you XK8-XKR Keys for each XJ Flip Key you make.....The secret is the little Capsule within the XK Key-Head that mates with the Ignition Reader! If you try to use an XJ Capsule; it will not read it and you will be up the creek! You must use the little Capsule that came from inside the Plastic/Rubbery Head of the XK8-XKR Key! If you try to go any other way, you will have to spend the Big Bucks to make it work!!! If you don't understand; don't do it!!

Go back and read the directions one more time!

As I said, I'm making my 2nd one today and when I'm through, I will no longer have any original XKR Keys....Also, I will have to re-program each of my XJR Key Fobs, along with my Bentley Key Fob and a couple extra XKR Key Fobs as extras...I will of course still have my Valet Key, which will still work, as I have not changed the ignition Reader..

Billy Clyde

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 02-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Yes that'll work it's a bit pricey though you can find better deals.

You will need to get the transponder programed along with ALL your other keys.
When I bought the car it came with 3 keys, one valet and two others. I want to keep the original key
set as they are and use an ebay flip key to drive the car with. This will allow me to keep the original keys
in good condition and lessen the chance of losing one.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I believe the car recognizes up to 5 key transponders at any give time.

To be clear, the 2001+ fob/remote can be had cheaply and can be recognized by the car by following a simple procedure at home. No special software or tools required. This is for locking/unlocking the doors, trunk and alarm.

For the mechanical key stem, there are vendors out there that can provide the proper Tibbe 8-cut key, based on a good picture of an existing key. This is not terribly expensive either. This key alone can operate all locks (doors, trunk, glove box and even ignition).

In order to be able to start the car, there is a crypto chip involved. Its purpose is to avoid hot wiring. It goes with the key or flip setup. It can be had very cheaply and must be the proper kind (for 2001+, get a Megamos 48). Check eBay. I believe the VW kind is what we need if Jaguar is not specifically listed. It needs to be in "New" condition, unless already setup for a Jaguar before. This is because the tech was sold to several manufacturers, and each one has its own "dealer" code.

The catch is that there is a proprietary software procedure involved to have the car recognize any new crypto chip as legit and allow the car to start. The way it works is that the security module (not positive which one) has to push a new crypto seed key into ALL keys and replace its own internal seed at the same time. This is why ALL keys have to be programmed at once (crypto chips are "write-only", so the original seed cannot be read back and cloned). This procedure can be done by any number of software tools, but you will need some access to one of them. SDD definitely can do this, and the Jaguar-specific Foxwell tool claims to be able to do this too. None of these tools are free, but they are not truly bank breaking either, probably about what a dealer charges for the procedure one time.

FWIW, the reason all of this is so knowable is that a team of academics broke the scheme wide open a number of years back and eventually published it.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (02-25-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at this with interest, however I am a bit confused.
The thread is titled "DIY Flipkey conversion without Reprogramming" which looks fairly simple, take the transponder and blade from the original key and fit them into a flip key.
However half way down the first page people start mentioning reprogramming the new flip key. Is this for a different conversion or for the one mentioned in the original post?
Thanks

Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mike,
Please post an intro in the new members section when you can.

You need to program the fob part of the key asembly, this is a fairly easy DIY procedure, you avoid the more difficult task of programing the transponder which requires specialized equipment by switching it over
from the old key.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Mike Quinn, the Key Man.....

You have 2 different programs in the XJ's Key-Fob:

#1. The Ignition has a Program where you insert the Key and it reads the Capsule that's inside the Key....By using this procedure, you will not have to reprogram the Ignition system.....
#2. The new Key-Fob also has the entry system (Buttons) that will have to be programed, this so you can lock and unlock the doors & Trunk.....These can be re-programed by using your Turn-Signal Lever to reset up to 5 Key Fobs.

In other words, you will have to re-program the entry Key-Fob but not the ignition Key, You can do the entry Program yourself but if you have to re-program the Key (ignition) system, have to pay a Professional to do that, as they have special equipment just for that....

If you don't understand, forget about it!
As I said earlier, "It works"

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-18-2019, 07:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Xkr my2000

Great contributions. If I've read the thread correctly, this will not work for my MY2000 XKR?

If that is the case, is there a solution for me?

Regards
DC

Old 03-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

To my knowledge, for MY before 2001, the remote control fob is different and the cheap x-type/Ford remotes do not work. Only the original Jaguar fobs work, and are therefore harder to find and a bit more expensive to replace. For all I know, I could be wrong on this and some smart vendor out there offers a nice integrated fob for the earlier cars. Check eBay, double check the feedback and return policy.

The crypto chip for the earlier car is also different, you have to use the older Megamos 13. The advantage is that some claim it can be cloned from an existing chip, so the car does not have to be present. The mechanical key step is the same Tibbe 8-cut.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default There’s hope for my 1999 XK8 then

I had given up this idea until now....

Old 03-24-2019, 03:08 PM
PSP
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the best mod you can do. I did it with my valet key first (had to file the end to make it regular, took about 3 minutes) and I liked it so much, I went ahead and replaced the only other key I had with a flip fob. They both work well and the annoying knee problem is gone! Well worth the trouble. One tip, be very careful with the fragile glass transponder in the old key. I had to break the one in the used flip key to get it out, but since the XK transponder is smaller, it fit easily.

2004 XKR

Old 03-24-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Question The Key Fob Story!

Originally Posted by fmertz
To my knowledge, for MY before 2001, the remote control fob is different and the cheap x-type/Ford remotes do not work. Only the original Jaguar fobs work, and are therefore harder to find and a bit more expensive to replace. For all I know, I could be wrong on this and some smart vendor out there offers a nice integrated fob for the earlier cars. Check eBay, double check the feedback and return policy.

The crypto chip for the earlier car is also different, you have to use the older Megamos 13. The advantage is that some claim it can be cloned from an existing chip, so the car does not have to be present. The mechanical key step is the same Tibbe 8-cut.
FMertz,
I'm not the "expert" but wouldn't it make sence that if the 03 Key and Capsule worked in the 03; that the 2000 Key and Capsule would work in the 2000....That is assuming the 2000 has a Capsule.? It's been so long since I had my 2000, I don't remember if the Key has a Capsule or not.....But, All you are doing is switching the Key Holder.....It's the same Key and the same Capsule.....I did this to both the Black Keys to my 2005 XKR and it works super good....What I like about this set-up is you don't have all the darn Door Keys hanging down on your Knee.....and it looks a whole lot better too! All you have to do is Program the Fobs! I now have (2) XJS looking Key Fobs, (1) "Fancy" Bentley Key Fob, (2) XKR Fobs and my Green Valet Key....and they all work.....

.I would like offer my advice to anyone that thinks they want one of those Bentley Key Fobs that are for sale on the Internet...As I said, I have one ....They are nice looking but you have to have them Programed to work in your Ignition…. which means you have to have all of your Keys programed at the same time.....Plus you have to have the Key cut to fit your XK8/R...when I did this a couple years ago...and I finally got all of this done...I had wasted a couple days and about $600.00.....The Guys that program these Keys really put it to you! My Pocket Book still wonders where all the Money went! But the real reason I don't like the Bentley Key is that almost every time I take it out of the ignition, I can't help but push the Trunk button with my knuckle and that opens the Trunk! Then you have to walk back there a shut it! The button sticks up and is not protected as they are on the XJS Key Fob...…Good Luck to all you Key-Men.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 03-24-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
DavidYau (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidYau
I had given up this idea until now....
There is still no hope. The "Flip Keys" are Ford compatible remotes. A 1999 remote would not be Ford compatible. The Key part will work fine, but the remote part will not, defeating the purpose..

Old 03-25-2019, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
FMertz,
I'm not the "expert" but wouldn't it make sence that if the 03 Key and Capsule worked in the 03; that the 2000 Key and Capsule would work in the 2000....That is assuming the 2000 has a Capsule.? It's been so long since I had my 2000, I don't remember if the Key has a Capsule or not.
ALL X100 have a transponder crypto chip/pill/capsule to prevent hot wiring, except the US '97. The issue for the pre-2001 cars is that there is no known integrated fob/remote, you are stuck with the separate dangling fob.

bcprice36 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Question

ALL X100 have a transponder crypto chip/pill/capsule to prevent hot wiring, except the US '97. The issue for the pre-2001 cars is that there is no known integrated fob/remote, you are stuck with the separate dangling fob.
Fmertz,

It has been so long since I had my 98 Coupe, that honestly, I can't remember what the Key looked like or if it even had a Key Fob....But, I see what you mean.....If it doesn't have a Key Fob to open the doors, then all this defeats the Purpose....Sorry, it has been to long ago for this old Brain...

Billy Clyde

Old 08-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the car recognizes up to 5 key transponders at any give time.

To be clear, the 2001+ fob/remote can be had cheaply and can be recognized by the car by following a simple procedure at home. No special software or tools required. This is for locking/unlocking the doors, trunk and alarm.

For the mechanical key stem, there are vendors out there that can provide the proper Tibbe 8-cut key, based on a good picture of an existing key. This is not terribly expensive either. This key alone can operate all locks (doors, trunk, glove box and even ignition).

In order to be able to start the car, there is a crypto chip involved. Its purpose is to avoid hot wiring. It goes with the key or flip setup. It can be had very cheaply and must be the proper kind (for 2001+, get a Megamos 48). Check eBay. I believe the VW kind is what we need if Jaguar is not specifically listed. It needs to be in "New" condition, unless already setup for a Jaguar before. This is because the tech was sold to several manufacturers, and each one has its own "dealer" code.

The catch is that there is a proprietary software procedure involved to have the car recognize any new crypto chip as legit and allow the car to start. The way it works is that the security module (not positive which one) has to push a new crypto seed key into ALL keys and replace its own internal seed at the same time. This is why ALL keys have to be programmed at once (crypto chips are "write-only", so the original seed cannot be read back and cloned). This procedure can be done by any number of software tools, but you will need some access to one of them. SDD definitely can do this, and the Jaguar-specific Foxwell tool claims to be able to do this too. None of these tools are free, but they are not truly bank breaking either, probably about what a dealer charges for the procedure one time.

FWIW, the reason all of this is so knowable is that a team of academics broke the scheme wide open a number of years back and eventually published it.
When I bought my car it came with the Green Valet key only. I actually didn't know it was the valet key till well over a year later.
I had a flat battery, thankfully, I had enough juice in the battery to open the trunk and have her jump-started by a breakdown guy. (I now know the valet key would not have gained me access to the truck)
I then drove straight home and waited for a new battery to turn up on order.

As I only have the valet key I needed to look for other solutions and found this forum page - I have now bought everything to create some new fobs - I bought 3 blank Tibbe 8 keys, 3 Fobs, correct Megamos ID48 chips for VW.
I plan to follow the procedure shown in this thread.
I'm a little scared the locksmith may wipe my valet key and lock me out totally, For this reason I have procrastinated on completing this job for over 2 years now!
Does the locksmith/dealer access the OBDII port to do this stuff? Excuse my ignorance.

You mention these chips are write-only - that being the case are they multiple write-only or are they a one time write? I guess they would have to be multiple write right?
I'm not sure what software he has but he is a locksmith and says offhand that he can do it. I do recall him saying he would try to clone my valet key - I now see you saying that cloning isn't possible. I hope this guy knows what he's talking about. I will tell him cloning isn't possible and the chips can't be read.
I think I need to make sure he has access to SDD software too / or something just as capable.
I'm just worried that if this procedure isn't done correctly by the locksmith I will end up with an undrivable XKR outside his shop!

Last edited by TrevLevin04XKR; 08-07-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Correction to "Write Only" from "Read Only" (made Bold)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

This is why these procedures are normally done by mobile locksmiths, they come to you. If they mess up, at least you are home. Other option is to do this at the dealer so you have that recourse just-in-case.

The programming of the crypto chip involves pushing a secret key (a number basically). That part is write-only. The secret key seed cannot be read again. Under normal operation, an another number is pushed to the chip, and a calculation is done on this new number, based on the secret key. As the ECU also "knows" the secret, both have to come up with the same result. The reality is even more tricky as the transmission of the new number is not done in the clear. The scrambling is started by the ECU, transmitted, and then finished by the chip (and ECU) for eventual comparison.

FWIW, the reason this scheme was reverse engineered is that the academics that published the paper got their hands on a pirate east-European device performing these tricks and knew the scheme could therefore be broken. So, it is possible your locksmith has access to a device that can crack it all, including recovery of the key. Speaking in general, this is not necessary. As long as you have all keys present, re-program them all right there, no need to clone. At least, this would remove the possibility of one of the original keys to the car still being out there and somehow keep access to your car. Reprogramming keys would lock those wild keys out.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

DavidYau (08-07-2020)
Old 11-12-2021, 07:54 AM
Received 380 Likes on 246 Posts

Hey,
I just stumbled across this thread and was hoping it may help me out.
i was wondering if this would be able to work with a x300 by chance?
i currently have no remote for my car at all.

my car is an early x300 with 315mhz frequency,
the x300 also uses the 8 tibbe key
i have seen these remotes that use a 315mhz frequency but given the fact the x300 only has a 2 button remote i was curious as to if the buttons would work or not.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Spud Maat,

You are on the XKR -XK8 Forum. You need to go to the Forum for the: 1995 X300.....I am sure they would know more about your Sovereign ..