XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you Use the J Gate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chidester
I use it when you go uphill.. some reason the transmission likes to grunt the engine a little bit and I get a little nervous when it does that so I let it rev a little higher (also easier on the transmission)

Also going downhill.. helps use that engine to slow things down if things are getting crazy..

It's fun I don't mind it. Rarely use it but it's fun.
still have her???!!!

The following users liked this post:
Matthew Chidester (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
still have her???!!!
lol..yeah at the moment - I have a gentleman from Kentucky coming to see the car in a few weeks and I *THINK* he's going to buy it but.. yeah still here still ticking although I haven't driven it lately. Love the car I just.. I'm not wealthy like you guys it's going to be sad... like I said in my car sale video.. if Lindsey Lohan ever got out of her drug rehab program and married me I'd keep the car

But yeah I like the "J" gate.. it's unique and I like unique cars. But I normally just drive it in "D" and forget about it unless like I said it's a steep uphill or downhill or things are getting a little crazy and I need more control.

(hope you're enjoying life and the car)

prettybluefin (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:32 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

Bluefin - I use mine all the time, gear down for overtaking etc, like the de-acceleration using the engine and the control it gives - the Mercedes 722 600 Automatic Gearbox that's in mine has no problem handling this.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Yes Bluefin . . . use it on each of our Jaguars, but especially on the 6spd ZFs of XK8 and S-Type. Touring a few hours to my daughter's home on the coast involves quite steep downhill (uphill on return) with sharp corners through the mountains. Using the J-Gate downhill, imposes no great stress on the trans but takes enormous wear off brake pads and rotors and minimizes heat build-up wear on wheel bearings etc. Used uphill, manually using a shorter gear prevents the engine bogging down in slow speed corners and produces sparkling exit speeds.

I hear what others say about the Sport button, and yes I love it, especially for overtaking . . . but the Sport button can't achieve either of what I have pointed out above. However . . . for loping along our broad, lonely country highways on my side of the mountains, put it in Drive, punch the ACC in for about 3,000rpm . . . put the feet up and turn up the CD (OK, I'm joking about the feet up).

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 05-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Oops, double post.
Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 05-19-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: remove double post
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

I think you boys need to teach me how to use it then. more spirited driving sounds fun! but again, here in LA, not many chances for open roads unless its 3am.
You gotta get out of California. I left SD in the early 80s, never looked back, and it wasn't nearly as whacked-out then as it is today. I have only one friend left who still lives there, but he's up around Sacramento. Everyone who's lived in Frisco or south has said ADIOS!

Oddly, quite a few have headed to Georgia.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Wag
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's 95% manuals in UK .
Going on from this, i'm on my 3rd xk8 now, an old xkr. I've just started using the manual side, it seems to set off and accelerate quicker- or am I imagining things ? I wondered if the internal clutches slip less in manual mode or .....

Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I use mine all the time when going downhill to slow the descent instead of using the brakes...

Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by scardini1
You gotta get out of California. I left SD in the early 80s, never looked back, and it wasn't nearly as whacked-out then as it is today. I have only one friend left who still lives there, but he's up around Sacramento. Everyone who's lived in Frisco or south has said ADIOS!

Oddly, quite a few have headed to Georgia.
you're telling me! I just looked at a 450 SF tiny studio in Laguna for $3500 a month!!!!!!!!!!!!! eeps.

I am looking to move, but have to be near the ocean.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Yes Bluefin . . . use it on each of our Jaguars, but especially on the 6spd ZFs of XK8 and S-Type. Touring a few hours to my daughter's home on the coast involves quite steep downhill (uphill on return) with sharp corners through the mountains. Using the J-Gate downhill, imposes no great stress on the trans but takes enormous wear off brake pads and rotors and minimizes heat build-up wear on wheel bearings etc. Used uphill, manually using a shorter gear prevents the engine bogging down in slow speed corners and produces sparkling exit speeds.

I hear what others say about the Sport button, and yes I love it, especially for overtaking . . . but the Sport button can't achieve either of what I have pointed out above. However . . . for loping along our broad, lonely country highways on my side of the mountains, put it in Drive, punch the ACC in for about 3,000rpm . . . put the feet up and turn up the CD (OK, I'm joking about the feet up).

Best wishes,

Ken

Australia sounds perfect!!! In LA, it's bumper to bumper traffic, and so frustrating...
The SPORT button...I call the SPIRITED button

Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

I use the J-Gate quite often. Especially when I want to have some fun. In "low" I do redline it (I think its about 65 mph or so). Great for high speed passing.

prettybluefin (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by cyber3d
I use the J-Gate quite often. Especially when I want to have some fun. In "low" I do redline it (I think its about 65 mph or so). Great for high speed passing.
not sure where you live, but I am in the OC and LA areas. perhaps you can teach me?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

The real estate is weird out there, my aunt lived on Beverly Park off of Mulholland and I work near some of the wealthiest people in West Michigan. The nicest homes in West Michigan go for like a 1/4 of the cheapest houses up in Beverly Hills. A nice house in West Michigan that's a low 7 figure home in good suburban middle class neighborhoods, that might run 150k.

I guess it's worth it to be near the ocean . I don't think I could live in the PRC though, I like the freedoms I have in MI lol.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

not sure where you live, but I am in the OC and LA areas. perhaps you can teach me?
Teach? hehe. you wanna be a hooligan? LOL.

Just throw it in D2 and step on it! When you reach the redline - I usually blip the throttle back and drop it into D3 and carry on.

If you want to do this just be sure your transmission is in good order. AND you have your tensioners upgraded. I'm not responsible for death or dismemberment!

prettybluefin (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:07 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I use it when driving in the mountains, which I do pretty regularly, as I have to cross them to go either east or west from Redwood Valley. Makes winding downhill runs a lot more relaxed. I don't like to heat up my brakes unnecessarily.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I try to follow the "Use it or Lose it" philosophy: I exercise whatever feature there is on my Jag - whether I need it or not - simply to keep that feature alive and functioning.

Having said that, I find it much more fun to drop it into third before passing a car.

Vince

Old 05-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I had started to use mine more frequently on my 405 commute, sometimes just to keep myself entertained. But I started noticing that my shifts started to become a bit jerky, so I stopped. After a few days the shifts returned to normal.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Bluefin, What's this Cyber3d stuff? I'm leaving you a P/M tonight............

BC

Old 05-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Also nope. Though i occasionally use R as well as D. And P, because my car ignores the handbrake.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have used it a few times but this thread generates another interesting question. At what RPMs do you upshift. 5 - 6K seems like it is really starting to scream even though there is room to spare to the red line.
Edited - Obviously not at the RPMs above. Was thinking Jaguar and seeing my MGA tach.

Last edited by wheelmang; 05-27-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Correction to RPMs