XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you Use the J Gate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:03 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I always use it!
the Black Cat has a little extra HP and it just cranks when i use the gears... whoOOOOOh
speed is good...

and in my town we only get a rush 20 min ... bumper to bumper ...as we drive 25 min in any direction & we hit water... island life. LOL

These cars tend not to get speeding tickets I have found... for some reason we sneak under the radar

cause these R sexy lookin cars

love in it

cheers
Andy

Last edited by Wide_Tyres_2; 06-01-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: ?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using mine more as of late, now that im getting used to it. it does kind of scare me a bit, being that it dosn't lock into each gear, or click, like most transmissions I have had. it just kind of slides around. last thing I want to do is tear up the trans. I notice a time or two when shifting, that if it goes too far up, kind of in between second and third, that It has a tendency to "trip the sport mode".
I don't know if this a fail safe they put into it or not, but it will shut off the sport mode entirely and it will not reactivate unless I stop and restart the car.
because of this I never go past third, and only do that when I have a kid in a mustang, or a ricer next to me.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide_Tyres_2
........... These cars tend not to get speeding tickets I have found... for some reason we sneak under the radar.........

cause these R sexy lookin cars

Ya know, .... I've only gotten two speeding tickets in over 100,000 miles. I "know" I should have been nabbed at least couple of more times, but they never rolled after me. I've always wondered about that.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

In sport and all the time every day in my 78mile commute. Usually to increase engine braking so i dont have to hit the brakes constantly in traffic and increase the traffic jam behind me

Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
Ya know, .... I've only gotten two speeding tickets in over 100,000 miles. I "know" I should have been nabbed at least couple of more times, but they never rolled after me. I've always wondered about that.
The design is stealthy. With the shape I've been told that it is difficult for radar to get a good reading from our cars.

The other day I had a police point a radar gun at me then shrug and point his finger at me. He knew I was going fast but couldn't determine how fast.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

And looking at our design, I guess the fog lights would be the best target for a laser, but they're pretty small targets. I'm still not convinced or swayed enough about our "stealth" to speed with impunity, which is such a shame because Kitty loves 90mph. It's just the perfect speed. No stress. Engine sounds nice. Miles just disappear under the cowl. Tough to explain to the Trooper though - lol.

The following users liked this post:
WAFlowers (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Both my S-Type and my wife's XK8 are indeed happiest at 85 to 90 mph. I can easily drive all day and night at that speed, but in our neck of the woods you really have to pick your spots carefully or the Highway Patrol will see to it that you will not be driving ANYTHING for quite some time....

Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 AM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

totally agree. every weekend, heading to Laguna via PCH, 90 mph is the best...easy to do, you don't even feel like you are going fast! It's such a smooth ride.
I think this car sets the bar for comfort and beauty.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You can speed all you want as long as there's no "intent"
i mean it works in washington d.c.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I use it only in heavy traffic. Prevents excessive up / down shifts. Prevents up shift to 3rd or 4th gear depending on speed. I also find it helps with cooling keeping the revs a little higher. Rich

Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

"You can speed all you want as long as there's no "intent"
i mean it works in washington d.c. "

We finally have something to thank "them" for! What a great precedent. - lol

Last edited by scardini1; 06-12-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg108
I have been using mine more as of late, now that im getting used to it. it does kind of scare me a bit, being that it dosn't lock into each gear, or click, like most transmissions I have had. it just kind of slides around. last thing I want to do is tear up the trans. I notice a time or two when shifting, that if it goes too far up, kind of in between second and third, that It has a tendency to "trip the sport mode".
I don't know if this a fail safe they put into it or not, but it will shut off the sport mode entirely and it will not reactivate unless I stop and restart the car.
because of this I never go past third, and only do that when I have a kid in a mustang, or a ricer next to me.
if the j-gate does not feel like it is holding position, there are two adjustments that might need to be done. the shift cables and mechanism have some bushings. the absence of these can cause some slop in the system. the cables themselves could also be out of spec.

the final spec is not a tight click into the various positions.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile WA, Stealthy! now that's a good word!

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
The design is stealthy. With the shape I've been told that it is difficult for radar to get a good reading from our cars.

The other day I had a police point a radar gun at me then shrug and point his finger at me. He knew I was going fast but couldn't determine how fast.
The last Cop that stopped me gave me a ticket for not having a Front License Plate....Said he couldn't find anything to aim his Laser at and I should put it on! I told him that there has never been a License Plate on the Car and have fun watching for me!!!! I told the Judge that I had ordered a bracket for it but it had to come from England! Might take several months to get here! Still haven't seen it! Probably won't! Hee! Hee!

Billy Clyde

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

PBF...Back in the olden days, I used to run up the PCH at 90MPH in my Black 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Hardtop with Overdrive...283 CID Corvette Engine w/2 4-Barrels. Back then it didn't take long to go from Camp Pendleton to the Laguna Hotel and to walk over to the Sand Piper Lounge....that was in 1961! I wonder PBF, if they are still there? My last trip to LB was in the summer of 1994!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
PBF...Back in the olden days, I used to run up the PCH at 90MPH in my Black 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Hardtop with Overdrive...283 CID Corvette Engine w/2 4-Barrels. Back then it didn't take long to go from Camp Pendleton to the Laguna Hotel and to walk over to the Sand Piper Lounge....that was in 1961! I wonder PBF, if they are still there? My last trip to LB was in the summer of 1994!

Billy Clyde in Houston
I do that PCH drive every weekend. at 90mph when i can get around all the Lambos. It seems everyone has one here...but they ask me WTF is that cool Jag? I tell them 2005, they can't believe it. Lots of fun talking cars with people.

NOt sure about the places you mentioned,,,I like the Rooftop Lounge...it's on top of the Casa del Camino hotel...in Laguna Beach

Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Cool PrettyBlueFin in Laguna Beach

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
I do that PCH drive every weekend. at 90mph when i can get around all the Lambos. It seems everyone has one here...but they ask me WTF is that cool Jag? I tell them 2005, they can't believe it. Lots of fun talking cars with people.

NOt sure about the places you mentioned,,,I like the Rooftop Lounge...it's on top of the Casa del Camino hotel...in Laguna Beach
PBF, I just looked on the Internet and sure enough, both the Hotel and the Sandpiper, although they are getting old, are both still there and apparently doing well....The old Hotel is still a big old White Building right downtown and the Sandpiper is just down the Street about a block......They used to have an Art Parade up and down that Street back then....It's been a while! My first trip up to Laguna was in 1959, just before my trip to Laos!

Those old Lambo Boys really don't know much! Bluefin, but one thing they do know is your XKR is beautiful!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 08-22-2017, 02:14 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I drive 18 speeds for a living in BC. When I'm not earning money, shifting is the last thing I want to do. Given that some of our local roads can be 10 or 12%, I will use the gate to kick it down to hold the speed better going downhill than burning up my brakes. Alas, Jaguar doesn't put jakes in their cars lol.

Last edited by RobXK8; 08-22-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

I use it to downshift on long downhills to let the engine speed to keep the road speed manageable so as to avoid riding the brakes. It's also fun to use going in to tight turns..

Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, always use it. Especially to decrease speed downwards or reaching built-up areas.
Cheers !

Old 08-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 317 Posts

Yep, always use it. Especially to increase acceleration as I reach open country roads.
seriously now
I find that simply putting it in 5th while in the city makes everything happen just a touch quicker. I only use P and NO S while on the interstate, other times S is always engaged.
wj