XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does 1997 xk8 have a transponder ignition key

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Does 1997 xk8 have a transponder ignition key

Hello all. I just bought a baby blue 1997 xk8 conv for my wife as a Mother's Day present. Naturally it came with one ignition key, tibbe type, 8x3. Can anyone confirm yea or nay if the key has a transponder chip? The web info is published both ways so not definitive. Thank you very much, Bob G

Old 05-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
Hello all. I just bought a baby blue 1997 xk8 conv for my wife as a Mother's Day present. Naturally it came with one ignition key, tibbe type, 8x3. Can anyone confirm yea or nay if the key has a transponder chip? The web info is published both ways so not definitive. Thank you very much, Bob G
The 1997 Electrical Drawing Set does NOT show the Key Transponder Module for the North American Cars.

For Rest Of World Cars, a Transponder is shown.,

Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
The 1997 Electrical Drawing Set does NOT show the Key Transponder Module for the North American Cars.

For Rest Of World Cars, a Transponder is shown.,
Thank you Paul. Your complete answer helps me a lot, and explains why the web sites showed both answers, albeit without your expert explanation. Thanks again! Bob G

Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I was surprised when I went to the dealer about five years ago to get a key made and the bill was less than $45.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

If you look very carefully at the key, you should be able to see where, if there is one, the transponder is inserted.

Name:  Jaguar%20Key_zpsq7hgj4ka.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  134.3 KB

Not the best photograph in the world, but you can just make out the shape of the plug that covers the hole.

The following users liked this post:
volkris (07-08-2018)
Old 05-13-2017, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
If you look very carefully at the key, you should be able to see where, if there is one, the transponder is inserted.

Not the best photograph in the world, but you can just make out the shape of the plug that covers the hole.
Hello David. The one key that came with the car does not show any cap or plug like your photo. However, it is a knock off key (after market) and only shows a brand label and possibly a key type "ilco S32FJ-P"

Old 05-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I was unclear if the '97 had a transponder key or not, so I ordered a $20 cut key off Ebay, figuring I can use if for an emergency door or trunk key and danged if the car didn't start right up.

If you have to live with the issues of an early car, its great not to have to deal with the hassles of the later cars.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

. . . and also Bob, the answers to a few questions you have not asked, but which you should attend to asap . . .
  • such questions really underline the value of all the relevant Owners and Supplementary Manuals (many models have up to half a dozen in total, and if missing, can be be downloaded from Stickies here or Gus' site JaguarRepair.com);
  • be worried (very, very worried) if you have only 1 of the full set of 3 keys originally supplied with your car - not only are there keys out there somewhere perfect for driving off with your new aquisition, but if you lose your sole key, replacement will be both messy and expensive.
Cheers,

Ken

Old 05-13-2017, 11:30 AM

Hello all. I'm still learning. My 1997 Jaguar XK8 did not come with a FOB. Can anyone tell me if the car is wired to accept signals from a properly programmed FOB? Thanks in advance of your learned answer. Very respectfully, Bob G.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Others may add to or contradict what follows because things are different according to year of manufacture, country sold, legislation etc but ...............

Early UK cars have a small transponder in the key. This must be programmed to the car by someone with the necessary Jaguar technology. Early US cars (and some other markets where car theft was not such an issue) don't have transponder keys. If the key(s) are original, then it's possible to see the small plug on the key where the transponder was inserted. The car is programmed to the key - not vice versa and the default is 5 different keys maximum. However, if you have one good key, it is possible to "clone" it with an identical transponder - in other words, the car can't tell the difference between one key and the other and thinks they are both "Key 1". If you get a "new" key from Jaguar, they will programme it into the car as "Key 2" rather than another "key 1".
The metal bit of the key can be cut by any competent locksmith and, if you don't have a transponder, will work 100% OK

Although some of the functions are "interconnected", the key fob is a separate piece of kit.
Different countries used different frequencies, and there are variations between years but - if you buy an identically numbered key-fob on Ebay (for example), it should be possible to programme it to the car yourself.
It's a bit hit-and-miss and although some owners have had no problems at all, others have had to resort to strange rituals involving the sacrifice of chickens and standing on one leg with both car doors open whilst trying to hear an inaudible "beep".

cat_as_trophy (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

I reckon David gets the Golden Underpants Award for top post on this issue - especially highlighting the variances not only between model years, but also between different markets. Somewhat like radio access codes (or not) the whole issue of keys, transponders and/or fobs is important to nail for your MY, variant and market.

It may well be (and I suspect is for the early cars) much easier and cheaper to acquire a 2nd and 3rd key without all the hassles imposed by the later cars' programming needs . . . but only if acquired now . . . before the single key is lost or mislaid.

Best wishes,

Ken

DevonDavid (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Ken. I'm flattered. The award .............. do I frame it and put it on the wall, or do I have to wear it ??

Old 05-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Grisar
Hello all. I'm still learning. My 1997 Jaguar XK8 did not come with a FOB. Can anyone tell me if the car is wired to accept signals from a properly programmed FOB? Thanks in advance of your learned answer. Very respectfully, Bob G.
Bob,

You need a LJA2610AA Fob.

FCC ID: K8597T315

Type in K8597T315 into Ebay to see your options. They are usually $50-$75 shipped on Ebay for a used one.

If you have a working key and a working turn signal stalk, you can program the fobs pretty easily in the comfort of your garage using the procedure outlined in the stickies.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

My '97 Key looks original and has the "plug" and may have a transponder in the key, but the car doesn't need a transponder key to start. A lot of the confusion that US '97 owners have stems from the "look for the plug" in the key meme... "plug in the key, check"

20 years after production, whether or not the car has "transponder key" or not doesn't necessarily point to the car having a transponder set up.

If its a US '97, the odds are pretty good it will start without programing for a transponder key.

DevonDavid (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'm very happy to be corrected - there seem to be so many variations with the security systems over the years / markets and everything adds to the "collective knowledge".

Old 05-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
I'm very happy to be corrected - there seem to be so many variations with the security systems over the years / markets and everything adds to the "collective knowledge".
No worry's Dave. I don't know if the '97 US cars actually got transponder keys or not, but the key that came with my '97 appears to be a transponder key.

I could take it to work and X-ray it to know for sure.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:03 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Oops wrong post.sorry

Last edited by Tcasmarcus; 05-17-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

the key that you have might have been purchased at a later date from a dealer. perhaps all of the blanks have a place for the transponder and one present, but it is the car's particular option that determines if it is necessary. maybe when the car was brand new the keys provided from the factory did not have a transponder pocket. in later years when the transponder became universal, they stopped making the old style keys and simply retained a common blank. this will be fun years from now if these cars ever get to the level of restoration where a judge looks at a first year car's keys to see if the key does not have a transponder pocket.

when i purchased some keys for my car from the local dealer, the vin gave them all of the information needed to cut the physical key, interesting. i then had to register it with the car.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

My '97 came with 1 FOB and 2 black keys. One key has the plug the other doesn't. Both keys work.

Ungn (05-17-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Default SOLVED

Hello all. Thanks to the many learned and helpful contributors to the Jaguar Forums, I went ahead and ordered a non-transponder key cut by triple-c.com. Cathy is the point of contact. The key arrived this morning and WORKED PERFECTLY. In summary, my 97 XK8 does NOT require a transponder key. It only required a Tibbe key. Cost $38.95 and 4 days, delivered by USPS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Grisar:
DevonDavid (05-21-2017), Ungn (05-20-2017)