XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Long Island have the highest concentration of XK8/R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Does Long Island have the highest concentration of XK8/R?

On my way to work and return home I saw two XK8's and one XKR so if you were

1. On Pinelawn road in Farmingdale heading south at about 7:10 this morning (Black XK8 pre 4.2)

2. Westbound on the Sunrise Highway just east of Patchogue at about 4:10 this afternoon (Gold XK8 pre 4.2 top down on cell phone)

3. Westbound on the Sunrise highway near Bellport at about 4:15 this afternoon (Black XKR)

Your car was noticed by another Long Islander who owns an 03 XK8.

I once read that Long Island was one of Jaguars best markets. Maybe its true!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

As relatively rare as these cars are (at least in the US), they are ubiquitous in certain areas. For example, I do not see all that many in the general Los Angeles area but if you go a bit south to Orange County and, particularly, some of the beach communities, that is where you see many more of these.

On the other hand, I do notice many more of the later generation XK all over the place.

Doug

Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

In the US, based on my JagWrangler business, I would say CA, TX, GA-FL, with VA-MD-DC and NY tristate about tied for 4th for XK8/Rs.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-10-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Would the US Freedom of Information Act require Jaguar North America to release this kind of demographic data (numbers only) on request?

Graham

Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
As relatively rare as these cars are (at least in the US), they are ubiquitous in certain areas. For example, I do not see all that many in the general Los Angeles area but if you go a bit south to Orange County and, particularly, some of the beach communities, that is where you see many more of these.

On the other hand, I do notice many more of the later generation XK all over the place.

Doug
I have heard that L. A. is very much a "you are what you drive" kind of place with a lot of big egos. That is not to say that that is the only place where that is so, or that it is not a factor everywhere else as well, but only that I have heard that it is heightened in L. A. I'd suspect that in such a place that everyone would know that you were driving around in an older car (a pre 2007 XK) and so that simply would not do if you are trying to impress everyone.

I'll stand corrected if that impression of mine is wrong.

Few people know this, but there are actually three LA's in the USA.

There is, of course, Los Angeles.
Then, there is Louisiana. LA (I have filled out forms the product was shipped to Los Angeles, the shipper seeing LA and thinking Los Angeles, rather than Louisiana.
Thirdly, I once worked with a few guys who said that they were "from L. A.", and obviously, very southern. Upon inquiry, the L. A. turned out to be Lower Alabama.

Last edited by Kevin D; 07-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Would the US Freedom of Information Act require Jaguar North America to release this kind of demographic data (numbers only) on request?

Graham
Freedom of Information only applies to US Goverment information, not corporate proprietary info unless it was somehow tied into a government activity.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Long Island makes the best iced tea without question!
I'd guess Texas for most Jag owners, I can't say for XK8/Rs.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I live on long Island, I have a green 4.2 and I saw blue and white xk8 today

Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Freedom of Information only applies to US Goverment information, not corporate proprietary info unless it was somehow tied into a government activity.
Interesting. Considerably less far reaching (or intrusive - depending on viewpoint) than our FoI in the UK.

Graham

Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Follow the money! "Old Money" likes the older classic Jaguars and a lot of the "new money", the latest offerings of excess. Just access the most recent census data and set up a geographic search radius based on median income/net worth. In Florida that is going to include Palm Beach, Naples, Amelia Island, Boca Raton, Coconut Grove and so on. While there are exceptions this will be the case for most geographic areas. And for sure, ones appreciation for classic elegance is not driven by pedigree and $$$ alone, but the $$$ does help. On Long Island it will for sure include the Hamptons

Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

There are loads of the early xk's in the Dallas area. You can easily see 7-10 Jags on the road in any given week. XK owners out here almost always acknowledge one another with a wave or a nod. It's a good thing.... Ed

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Last Feburary, I was in Naples, Florida visiting my brother. I was sitting at a stop light southbound on US 41 and there was a Black XKR westbound turning left, a green XK8 going eastbound and a white XK8 going northbound. I thought I was in heaven!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldlion
Follow the money! "Old Money" likes the older classic Jaguars and a lot of the "new money", the latest offerings of excess.
As is true with many things besides cars.

And for sure, ones appreciation for classic elegance is not driven by pedigree and $$$ alone, but the $$$ does help.
Often I find that money and taste are at odds, in fact. Good breeding, like education, is one of those things that can't be faked or purchased. Although, people will try.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kevin D
I have heard that L. A. is very much a "you are what you drive" kind of place with a lot of big egos. That is not to say that that is the only place where that is so, or that it is not a factor everywhere else as well, but only that I have heard that it is heightened in L. A. I'd suspect that in such a place that everyone would know that you were driving around in an older car (a pre 2007 XK) and so that simply would not do if you are trying to impress everyone.

I'll stand corrected if that impression of mine is wrong.
Absolutely true but during the era of the first gen XK8/XKR, the cars to be seen in were Porsche (pretty much de rigueur in SoCal), Mercedes (particularly AMG), and BWM. Jaguar XK8/XKR--not so much. Folks considering that type of car in that price range pretty typically went in the Porsche direction. On the other hand there are loads of S-types and X-types.

The second gen XK has rewritten those rules. The car is now perceived to be sporty enough to pull from the prospective Porsche buyers and I see quite a few XK in the area.

Doug

Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Absolutely true but during the era of the first gen XK8/XKR, the cars to be seen in were Porsche (pretty much de rigueur in SoCal), Mercedes (particularly AMG), and BWM. Jaguar XK8/XKR--not so much. Folks considering that type of car in that price range pretty typically went in the Porsche direction. On the other hand there are loads of S-types and X-types.

The second gen XK has rewritten those rules. The car is now perceived to be sporty enough to pull from the prospective Porsche buyers and I see quite a few XK in the area.

Doug
Well, it looks like that was the demographic that Jaguar was going after with their second generation XKs.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
Last Feburary, I was in Naples, Florida visiting my brother. I was sitting at a stop light southbound on US 41 and there was a Black XKR westbound turning left, a green XK8 going eastbound and a white XK8 going northbound. I thought I was in heaven!
I live in Naples & my XK8 is my daily driver. I typically see 10 to 15 XK8's/XKR's a day in my travels.

I must have missed you at that intersection on US 41 as mine is Carnival Red

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

For sure Brad. I live in Sebring but often journey to Bonita Springs and Nalpes for the fine dining. I almost always see another XKR/XK8...it fits the demographics. Being a LeMans circuit town, here in Sebring we have a high proportion of sports car owners. I would say that at least 30% of the residents in my area have sports cars as their weekend driver. Even though we are only a community of about 15,000 I know of four other XKR/XK8 owners and one lives the next street over from me, a seafoam green XK8 with a tan drop top. Great looking ride. Given the XKR/XK8 population within our grographic radius we should plan a gathering for coffee and introductions.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kevin D
Well, it looks like that was the demographic that Jaguar was going after with their second generation XKs.

And they have succeeded apparently. I don't think anyone had seriously considered the first gen XK8/XKR to be in the same category as a Porsche 911--the Porsche was a sports car and the XK8/XKR was gt cruiser.

However, I was reading an article in the LA Times this morning that reviewed the new Mercedes SL550. In that article there was the statement that the Merc couldn't "dance" like a Porsche or Jaguar XK. So not it looks like the second gen Jaguar has moved into the category of being compared with Porsche.

There are probably 2 things that contribute to this--the Porsche has really become more of a bloated luxury sport muscle car while the Jaguar has become less "cushy" and more performance/sport oriented.

Doug