XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Locks / Alarm / Honk honk

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks / Alarm / Honk honk

Hello all. I am hoping you can help with a new problem.

2004 XK8

All worked fine until a few days.

Then, I pressed the lock button on my FOB and the driver's door inside handle would lock and unlock THREE times (I think three), the passenger door handle does NOT move, and then the alarm sounds. There are various details of this problem that I'm still trying to perceive, such as, if during this auto-lock/unlock process, I press the unlock button once, it continues its little dance, then locks the drivers door, but never the passenger. I don't think the trunk either. If I hit lock again, I think it locks the truck - still not the driver door.

I'm not even sure I can manually lock the passenger door from inside the care - the handle feels sort of squishy. (is that an automotive word?)

In reading some other threads, I've already checked passenger fuses 2, 4 & 15.

Help - I need to lock my car????

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by rrgoldstein; 05-13-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Shut your doors. Disconnect the battery negative terminal for 10 seconds or so then reconnect it. See if the problem is resolved. Try this a few times if it does not work the first time. If this solves the problem, reset your windows.

If it does not solve it, there may be a bad microswitch in the door latch assembly.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Will do. I'll work on it tomorrow. (I think I need to get a torx or star wrench, first.)

Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Shut your doors. Disconnect the battery negative terminal for 10 seconds or so then reconnect it. See if the problem is resolved. Try this a few times if it does not work the first time. If this solves the problem, reset your windows.

If it does not solve it, there may be a bad microswitch in the door latch assembly.
Ok, WhiteXKR, unfortunately, that didn't work. I disconnected the negative terminal 3 different times, each for at least 20 seconds or more, then tried locking w/ the FOB, and each time, same result. In no case did the passenger door ever lock, although, placing my hand on the door during locking I felt some vibration - maybe from the driver side movement, or maybe not.

So, where am at here? Microswitch in passenger door - if so, how do I access that what do I do next?

If not that, what else?

Thanks very, very much.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Considering this further, your problem could also be a bad door module or lock actuator motor.

The microswitch failures usually cause a door ajar message for a failure in one of the microswitches in the latch assembly, and cycling of BOTH locks for a failure in the other microswich. You have neither of these.

If it were me, I would remove the actuator assembly from the passenger side and check the actuator motor and all of the microswitches with a 12 volt source and a multimeter to try to narrow down the problem source.