XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded stability control fail

Old 02-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dreaded stability control fail

My '99 has had the "Stability Control fail" light and associated "ABS" light glaring at me for a few months and I just finally got around to fixing it.(so I thought) I pulled the ABS module, split it open and resoldered the 2 connections, put it back together. SUCCESS !! NO MORE LIGHTS... until the next day. They're back, so I guess, "OK now its time to clean the wheel sensors" This morning I fired her up and NO lights ! I drive a few hundred feet and the lights come on again! Any ideas ?? I will be rebuilding my front suspension next week ( new struts, springs, bushings) and at that time I will clean the wheel sensors. I will let you know what happens.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

It is possible the solder repair did not succeed, happened to me once. A broken wire in one of the sensor harnesses is also possible. It may pay to have a shop with the proper software do a code read so you know what to look for.

The following 2 users liked this post by RJ237:
Mark Oz (04-25-2020), motorcarman (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
It is possible the solder repair did not succeed, happened to me once. A broken wire in one of the sensor harnesses is also possible. It may pay to have a shop with the proper software do a code read so you know what to look for.
I'm with RJ237.
Codes will tell you what the module thinks is wrong (or you can guess).
The link harnesses are known to become intermittent and trigger a DTC.

bob

Old 02-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I've had the same faults as you have on my '97 XK8, ABS light on and Traction Control/Stability Control Failure warning for the last 3 months.

May I know what prompted you to pull the ABS module?
And which 2 connections did you do the resoldering?
Are there any threads on this forum you can refer me to on this topic?
What DTC codes have you pulled?

Originally Posted by dr.fixit
My '99 has had the "Stability Control fail" light and associated "ABS" light glaring at me for a few months and I just finally got around to fixing it.(so I thought) I pulled the ABS module, split it open and resoldered the 2 connections, put it back together. SUCCESS !! NO MORE LIGHTS... until the next day. They're back, so I guess, "OK now its time to clean the wheel sensors" This morning I fired her up and NO lights ! I drive a few hundred feet and the lights come on again! Any ideas ?? I will be rebuilding my front suspension next week ( new struts, springs, bushings) and at that time I will clean the wheel sensors. I will let you know what happens.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

If you use the forum search you will find several threads dealing with the abs. Most code readers will not read C codes, so you may have to visit the a dealer or independent, which may be a problem in Hong Kong. Some of the smart phone apps may work and maybe some one will help there. I have a dumb phone, well suited to my capabilities.

If you want to have a blind stab at the solder fix, which repairs cracked cold solder joints on the abs pump pump contacts and results in the C 1095 code, you will have to either split the case or drill a hole for access.

Below is a link for the hole method, which will show the location of the pins, useful even if you prefer to cut the case.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following 2 users liked this post by RJ237:
piper 888 (11-28-2020), Pristine97XK8Convertible (02-07-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Thank you RJ237 for pointing me in the right direction.
My indy mechanic followed JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource jagrepair.com/JaguarABSUnitRemoval.htm to remove the ABS control module without any brake pipe disconnection.

He then cracked opened the cover to discover the two bad ABS motor supply solder joints. Resoldered the two points to instantly cure the ABS fault amber warning light, as well as the general caution amber warning accompanied by Stability/Traction Control Failure warning messages.

I'm taking her tomorrow to get the MOT required for her license renewal. It will be the beginning of the 5th year I owned her after putting on 50,000km in 4 years. I hope there be many more years I'm able to enjoy her, thanks to the maintenance advice provide by this forum and Jagrepair and all the very helpful fellow owners of the XK8/XKR.

Originally Posted by RJ237
If you use the forum search you will find several threads dealing with the abs. Most code readers will not read C codes, so you may have to visit the a dealer or independent, which may be a problem in Hong Kong. Some of the smart phone apps may work and maybe some one will help there. I have a dumb phone, well suited to my capabilities.

If you want to have a blind stab at the solder fix, which repairs cracked cold solder joints on the abs pump pump contacts and results in the C 1095 code, you will have to either split the case or drill a hole for access.

Below is a link for the hole method, which will show the location of the pins, useful even if you prefer to cut the case.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 02-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same problem, cleaned sensors came back intermittently, then my alternator gave up, not had the problem since, the fluctuating voltage must have caused the error. So many electrical components very hard to sort them out, but voltage seems to cause many false errors.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Hi Bones28:

You'll know what to do when the ABS Amber warning light and the Traction/Stability Control Failure messages next hit you.

I got my MOT flawlessly today, meaning she'll legally run until April 2018.

Cheers...

Originally Posted by Bones28
I had the same problem, cleaned sensors came back intermittently, then my alternator gave up, not had the problem since, the fluctuating voltage must have caused the error. So many electrical components very hard to sort them out, but voltage seems to cause many false errors.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi Pristine97XK8, I hv same problem with the dreaded traction/stability problems. can you share the HK mechanic u used that helped to fix your XK8, Thks !

Old 04-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Please read Private Message.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by XK8HK
hi Pristine97XK8, I hv same problem with the dreaded traction/stability problems. can you share the HK mechanic u used that helped to fix your XK8, Thks !
@XK8HK
As I'm unable to send you Private Messages, please enable your ability to receive Private Messages in this forum.
You can also Private Message me your contact telephone number, or send it by email to me via this forum.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got in my car last month (99 XK8) and the "Stability Control Failure" message appeared and the car would not start. Have read in previous messages that the ABS light also appeared but that did not happen to me. After several attempts the message went away and the car started. Two days ago the same thing happened. Is this problem similar where other report both warning lights or is it something else?

Old 04-19-2020, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Pristine97XK8Convertible
@XK8HK
As I'm unable to send you Private Messages, please enable your ability to receive Private Messages in this forum.
You can also Private Message me your contact telephone number, or send it by email to me via this forum.
Has too few posts for PMs at all.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:53 AM

hi .
thks but still waiting for admin to allow me to get private messages. hopefully soon .

Old 04-19-2020, 01:56 AM

texgator,
even with warning lights, my xk8 still drives beautifully

Old 04-19-2020, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Read the codes!

Old 04-19-2020, 08:52 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by TexGator
Got in my car last month (99 XK8) and the "Stability Control Failure" message appeared and the car would not start. Have read in previous messages that the ABS light also appeared but that did not happen to me. After several attempts the message went away and the car started. Two days ago the same thing happened. Is this problem similar where other report both warning lights or is it something else?
You should read ALL the codes in ALL the modules especially on the CAN bus.
One code might point to another module or a module might not be communicating on the CAN.
If you feel like a drive from Fort Worth to rural Wise County I can read and print a total module scan of your car with IDS.

Let me know.

bob