XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Driver Door Open" warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question "Driver Door Open" warning

02 XKR conv... just bought 2 weeks ago from Jag dealer with 30-day warranty (thank God)...
First Post!
Got a "DRIVERS DOOR OPEN" message on the dash and red lamp on.
Also noted that the drivers door window won't go all the way up when closing the door.
I opened-closed it many times...same problem.
I opened the door and pressed UP on the window and it cam eup all the way as it should, but I couldn't close the door, so I lowered it anf then pressed UP. The window raised to the 95% open position (normal). I closed the door, and the same problem...
I reset the up-down limit switches...same problem...
I started the engine so that the voltage was normal...did the same things... same problem.
Also, as a result of the problem...I CAN'T LOCK THE CAR!!! ...and I live in a less than good neighborhood!!!
Called the Jag dealer, but, it is Sunday and the service department is closed. Can't find any threads to help me either... I tried all the non-tool things that I found... same problem...
HELP!!!
Eddie

Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Default addendum to fault

The passenger door and window works fine...
The door open lights come on and go of as they should on both sides...
By having the engine running while doing the tests, the low battery symptom was eliminated.
When I try to manually press the inside door handle to LOCK...it just pops back out after a few seconds... this happens whether I am driving or stationary... The door locks will not engage when I accellerate past 12mph... on neither side.
I also opened the top a little to see if the top of the door window was jamming on the top frame...but... that did not matter... same fault...

Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

It's probably the "Door Closed" Limit Switch, located inside the Door, mounted on the Latch Mechanism.

This is one of several Micro Switches mounted on the Latch.

You can try to lube the switch actuator externally with WD-40. Else, the Door Panel must be removed for access.

The following users liked this post:
XKRoo (12-25-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

What Paul said. These cars aren't like the car you're used to where there's that little push button thingy up near the hinge of the door. All of the door switches are in the latch mechanism. I doubt WD-40 will do any good because they are buried deep in the latch. Good thing you have a warranty.

By the way... if you park your convertible in a bad neighborhood, you're better off not locking the doors. I learned that the hard way on my son's convertible. He needed a new top so I paid $1000 to get a new one installed. Less than a month later he parked it behind the building while he was at work and someone sliced the top open to break in. A new window would have been $100. I new top cost ten times as much. Criminals don't like to break glass but they have no problem cutting a convertible top. If I was you, I'd take anything of value inside and leave the doors unlocked.

The following users liked this post:
XKRoo (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it! I was at the Jag Service Dept at 0715 this morning...hoping they would have time to look at the problem... Wow! What great service! They investigated the door not locking problem, and said it was one of the inside door switches and ordered a NEW one for me...they then investigated the TRAC & ACS faults that I had reported earlier, but, the warnings had stopped... They found that it needs a $2500 part and are going to replace it free..(I can't remember WHAT part...but will put the info on the forum after I get the XKR back). They also are replacing the coolant holding tank as it was the reason for the Coolant Low warning... It needed to be left at the dealer until after Christmas, and so they loaned me an 06 XJ8L to drive! What a really great experience so far. I have never been treated so well at a car dealer in 50-years of dealing with them all over the USA and Australia! Hope that is the end of the faults...at least for a long while... although I really like the French Vanilla Coffee in the Service Lounge!