XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Seatbelt is Loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driver Side Seatbelt is Loose

I've had the problem for a while just never thought about fixing it since it doesn't really effect the operation of the belt until I take it off and it doesn't retract. Anyone had any experience with this and fixing it?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Provided the Retraction Spring (item 2) isn't broken, the belt could either be twisted or not wound evenly causing it to stick.

Driver Side Seatbelt is Loose-seat-belt.jpg

Try pulling it out to the full extent and feeding back in. If it's twisted, you'll probably have to remove the pillar trim to straighten it out.

If the Retraction Spring is broken, it's bad news. There's no serviceable parts in the belt.

Graham

Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

+1 agree w/ Graham, its easy to get twisted.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same problem and I've already tried to pull it all way out and then put it back... unfortunately - no luck with that.

Having in mind that the "force" of retraction of my seat belt seems to be relative to the air temperature in the car (when it's cold it doesn't even move, when it's hot - it needs just a little push to spin back) the reason should be the spring (based on the image it's the element №2) and maybe it's not broken but just loosened.

So the question is - is it possible to "renew" the spring or maybe replace it with another one, even from another car? Or if the spring in the front seat belts and those from the rear seat are the same - maybe it's possible to switch them?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Pulling it all the way out helped it, it's not a spring problem it's just that the spring seems to not be strong enough to pull it all the way in. So I have to help it most of the time to get back in, not very attractive but I guess it's better than the alternative which I'm not even sure there is one.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I suspect that the spring just weakens over time. Mine is not to the point where it won't retract, but I have to make sure that it lines up before it will pull itself in. I actually sprayed some Armor All on the belt down toward the end where it winds in and that little bit of slipperiness helped it to retract a good bit better.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Estilian
.............. So the question is - is it possible to "renew" the spring or maybe replace it with another one, even from another car? Or if the spring in the front seat belts and those from the rear seat are the same - maybe it's possible to switch them?
I don't usually post information on procedures which are potentially dangerous but this thread has raised the question of dismantling seat belts. Anyone considering even removing them needs to be aware of the risks and safe handling procedure.

I'd not even consider dismantling a seat belt in an attempt to replace the spring. The assembly has a pyrotechnic pre-tensioner.

This extract from JTIS should act as a warning:

Each front seat belt has a pyrotechnic device with independent mechanical sensing and pre-tensioning retractor unit, installed at the base of the 'B' post. In the event of severe frontal impact, this provides additional occupant protection by removing any excess slack from the seat belt. Seat belt pre-tensioning activates when a frontal impact of sufficient force occurs within 30 degrees of vehicle center line. Under such an impact, mechanical sensors in the retractor unit fire, igniting the pre-tensioner gas generator. The gas generator initiates a chemical reaction, producing gases under pressure. Gas pressure drives the piston/cable up a tube, rotating the retractor spindle and removing excess slack from the seat belt. The mechanical sensor is made live by screwing the arming pin in to fully depress the red arming button.

The pre-tensioning system can only be activated if a safety lever is re-set by fitting the associated belt to an occupant or child seat. When the pre-tensioner unit has been activated, the seat belt will lock and cannot be retracted or pulled from the reel.

No attempt must be made to dismantle a retractor unit as unactivated pre-tensioning components contain a solid, flammable material. There are no serviceable parts. If a pre-tensioning unit is inadvertently ruptured and ingestion or inhalation of the propellant occurs, first aid must be applied and medical advice sought.

When handling the piston housing, the piston must be pointed downwards and away from one's self and other personnel. Fingers must be kept away from the take-up spool mechanism.

Any unit dropped from a height greater than 0.3 m (12 inches) must not be fitted to a vehicle.

If a seat belt pre-tensioner activates, a small quantity (less than 1 liter) of gas is produced containing nitrogen, oxygen and water vapor.

The safest solution is to fit a replacement seat belt but one option for those with a 'lazy' Driver's seat belt which retracts slowly or needs a bit of help is to switch Driver's and Passenger's seat belts. These are not handed on the XK8 - LH side and RH side are the same.

Here is the removal and refitting procedure:

JTIS - XK8 Front Seat Belt Removal & Refitting.pdf

Note section 9 on page 3 regarding the pre-tensioner arming bolt. If the pre-tensioner fires, the retractor spindle rotates very quickly.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
OldMike (01-30-2013), sklimii (01-29-2013), stevearrari (08-13-2021)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by artstar
I've had the problem for a while just never thought about fixing it since it doesn't really effect the operation of the belt until I take it off and it doesn't retract. Anyone had any experience with this and fixing it?
I asked this question about a year ago and Sam was going to look into it..the return spring has lost its power..you should not have to feed it back in.there must be a way to fix it.