Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side quarter window problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Drivers side quarter window problem

I have to dig into a quarter window that does not open. From the sound the cable has either slipped off or broken. Does anyone have a diagram, hand drawn or otherwise, of how the cable should be threaded? None of the past postings are of any help and the TSB illustration of the window regulator is worthless.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

My passenger side doesn't close properly. It appears to not be straight once all the way up. Possibly a related problem.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I had this problem and ended up replacing the regulator. The tread "Rear window problem, need help" describes my adventure. Here is a link to a set instructions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...eplacement-pdf

I bought a new regulator from Neely Jaguar for a few hundred dollars.
I still have the old regulator, if you want to have a go at fixing it. PM me if you would like it. I read on other forums that it has been tried with limited success.

The following users liked this post:
jagman77 (03-03-2013)
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow Glenn : Nice DIY report. Thanks for that.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Glenn

If you still have the old regulator I would like to try to fix it. The one in my XKR also has the same problem. Contact me at wcnejn@***.net I will compensate you for the shipping charges. Let me know.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you, Glenn. However this repair turns out, your G R E A T DIY report will be of considerable help. With tax season upon us it might be a few weeks until the repair is started, but I will report back with the results.

Again, THANK YOU.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

All credit should be given to Dan Jensen. He did a great job with these instructions.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Awesome! Thanks!

Glenn is is so helpful! Now for the hard part... Can you give us a level of difficulty associated with this job? I don't work on my xk8 much but have done some window repairs on an older xj. How daunting is this particular project?

Any advise you have would be appreciated., or anyone else who has replaced the regulator!

Thanks
Stephanie

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I got Glenn's old regulator and found that the problem was caused by the cheap plastic holder, as shown in Glenns picture. If that holder and cable wind up pulley could be made out of metal the regulator would probably last for the life of the car. Once the cables slip off the pulley and gets jammed, they are throw aways, and new cables need to be made as Jaguar does not stock any parts for repair of these regulators. The regulators are not that expensive about $300.00, but they are pretty time consuming to put in. My Jaguar dealer replaced mine and the invoice for the repair showed 8 hours labor time. If you attempt it yourself you will learn a lot about your car. The instructions Glenn gives to do this are excellent. A lot needs to be taken apart before you can get to the regulator, but if you have the time and patience give it a go.

Bill N
03 XKR

Last edited by wcnesta; 10-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The window glass needs to be up in order to remove the regulator assembly. I had to cut the cable on my regulator to get the glass in position for removal. In cutting the cable I destroyed the plastic liner, removed it to install the new unit. I spent several hours during the installation with one high spot on the inside binding the unit, frustration set in, got out the big hammer and with one smack to the offending spot solved the problem, the regulator dropped into place.
Good luck

Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just happened to me here in Carefree Arizona day before our trip back to dallas!

UGH!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
Just happened to me here in Carefree Arizona day before our trip back to dallas!

UGH!
Same here in Phoenix - my new year project coming up!
Kal

Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Default Quarter window regulator

I saw that Gaudin Jaguar carries the regulator for $285 plus 14% for shipping. They have a pretty tough 10 day return policy with restocking fee etc. Any other sources recommended with a decent return policy?
Thanks

Kal

Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Default Left quarter window project

Took me about 2 hours at a relaxed pace to get the back seat, back, side panels, inside weather stripping and caps removed. Can see the braided wire - it's broken out of the plastic housing on one side (no cracks but it looks like the stress popped the plastic case in one corner). Clearly need to replace the regulator. Next steps to remove the torx bolts holding the outer stripping.
Thanks to the folks so far and Dan Jensen's write up. The "fir tree" plastic nails were so beaten up by the heat in Phoenix, they snapped. I am sure they are easily replaced.

I would like to know from Gus if I should replace the hydraulic hose as I have the back seat out anyway,

So far, so good

Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 725 Posts

Did I read correctly, Jaguar doesn't sell the regulator all by its lonesome? Does the regulator include the steel wire?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

I purchased a regulator a few months back - it was the whole assembly(cable, motor, frame) minus the glass - took about 2 hours for true rookie to replace.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by sklimii
I purchased a regulator a few months back - it was the whole assembly(cable, motor, frame) minus the glass - took about 2 hours for true rookie to replace.
Steve - Which parts company did you get your regulator from?
Thanks
Kal

Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

I bought through Terry's Jaguar Parts/Engel Imports out of Kalamazoo Mi. I think it was around $350 can't find receipt at moment, but local dealership wanted $950 to replace ($475 for the part alone) so opted to do myself with a little help from the forum.

kvmentor (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
I bought through Terry's Jaguar Parts/Engel Imports out of Kalamazoo Mi. I think it was around $350 can't find receipt at moment, but local dealership wanted $950 to replace ($475 for the part alone) so opted to do myself with a little help from the forum.
Thanks Steve - will check.
How did you get that 3rd torx screw off for the inside rubber seal (my quarter window is down all the way but the glass still blocks direct access).
I tried all kinds of wrenches (including a parrot wrench) but it's right behind the glass and I can't turn it. I was thinking of bending a screwdriver that fits exactly into the torx slot and try it that way.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kvmentor
Thanks Steve - will check.
How did you get that 3rd torx screw off for the inside rubber seal (my quarter window is down all the way but the glass still blocks direct access).
I tried all kinds of wrenches (including a parrot wrench) but it's right behind the glass and I can't turn it. I was thinking of bending a screwdriver that fits exactly into the torx slot and try it that way.
Remove all three bolts from main motor, push out and let it (motor assembly) settle to the bottom then you have all the room you want to remove.....just dont forget to do it again in the reverse.

kvmentor (01-12-2013)

Quick Reply: Drivers side quarter window problem