XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving with the Shifter in the Left-hand Slot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Driving with the Shifter in the Left-hand Slot?

Old subject - new question: Since the removal of the center muffler (w/H Pipe install) and the throttle cable adjustment, my cat runs more responsively and sounds wonderful in the 2 - 2.5K rpm range.

I find myself really using the left hand shift positions on both acceleration and braking (along with the "S" setting) to hold the engine in that range as much as possible.

Am I doing any damage to the transmission? The engine? Anything else? I don't have any problems now (34K mileage), and I don't want to rush any down the line - advice from the pros, please... Thanks, DaleD

Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I wouldn't think so, that RPM range is nowhere near redline, and prolonged use there should be like running 80 on the interstate... eazy peezy. Unless you're dropping out of a high gear to 2nd or something at speed, I don't see any damage to the engine or transmission from this preferred use of the drivetrain.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I've taken a liking to that as well already. It gives my right hand something to do when it's not on wheel (while my left hand is outside). I've done that in my Camaro since I put the new transmission in and haven't had any problems and I do drive pretty hard. I don't forsee any issues as the cars are designed to handle it. Just don't keep it redlined.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I've been driving through the mountains a lot lately, and I've found myself going up and down hills in third gear, and sometimes even second. Anyway, the way I've been driving I think it's probably easier on the transmission. Fewer shifts means less wear on the transmission.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Dale
I'll add my 2cents worth, I agree with Matt, Fedoraja, and Sam I drive in town all the time since I've had the car, over a year. As long as your not red lining the engine you should be fine.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Good to see someone actually using the J-gate! I have used it in the past to when overtaking. Keeping the stick to the left will lock out 5th gear so fuel economy might suffer a bit.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everyone. It is much more fun to drive this way, and there is this feeling of power and control... I'm collecting MPG data, and I'm sure it will suffer - but why do we buy these cars anyway? My other car is a Prius - surely I can have fun with this one! DaleD

Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

You should look into a Speedshift kit from Racing Green Cars in the UK. It will allow you to bush buttons on the steering wheel to control gear changes. Name:  163-1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  77.0 KB

Old 07-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I've been driving through the mountains a lot lately, and I've found myself going up and down hills in third gear, and sometimes even second. Anyway, the way I've been driving I think it's probably easier on the transmission. Fewer shifts means less wear on the transmission.

This is when I do use left side of the J-Gate . Fewer shifts mean less wear (I agree at least technically logic ) then in my question is in general for congested city driving ?
Then , in such dricing conditions bumper to bumper since fewer shifts means less wear then we should use 2 or 3 instead of D .
Do you all agree ?

I am slightly old school despite being right side of the 20s lol . However I think in normal conditions where you can go flat out or slightly curvy roads (no uphill neither downhill ) using D in default should be wiser and Jaguar's J-Gate is by no means different than MB W140 S Class's Tranny .
Both of them have 2-3-D but Jaguar made it different way

Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I have been using my J-gate quite a bit for the past 64K miles, ever since I made the first exhaust mod. I use it in mostly for the twistys, city driving and for deceleration, trying to save my brakes. On long freeway trips I use it for merging and passing and only really leave it in drive for long trips. The only issue I have had is with a bad linear switch - for a while I kept losing sport mode when I shifted to the left side, it turns out the fault may have been self inflicted due to a latte accident about a year earlier.

The only harm I may be causing is to the engine by keeping it in higher rev ranges but with the electronics and engineering of the 4.2 it doesn't seem to be an issue yet - I've put 94,000 miles on my XKR and it is still going strong.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The protections in the car are (1) gearbox control will stop box from changing into too low a gear if current speed is too high, and (2) there is an engine rev limiter so you can't over-rev and cause engine and gearbox damage.

Having said that, gentler more "autisto sympatico" driving makes things last longer, and the "wheelspin to wheellock" style will eventually wear things out prematurely.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I would worry more about transmission wear than engine wear. Heat buildup in the transmission will take it out faster than normal. 99% of the time I just let the transmission do its thing via the go pedal.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarcB
I have been using my J-gate quite a bit for the past 64K miles, ever since I made the first exhaust mod. I use it in mostly for the twistys, city driving and for deceleration, trying to save my brakes.
Be careful about that. Many years ago I had a car with a manual transmission. I would downshift all of the time and use the transmission to slow the car. Then one day the clutch starts slipping. I needed a transmission rebuild at a cost of about $1000. New brake pads would have only set me back about $80.

If you're on long downhills and you don't want the brakes to overheat, then I think it's fine to use the J-gate for keeping the car from going to fast. But if you're just using the transmission to slow you down in normal traffic, you're going to wear out the transmission when it would be a lot cheaper to just wear out the brake pads.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

...you're going to wear out the transmission when it would be a lot cheaper to just wear out the brake pads.
I have already spent over $3,500 on brakes as the car is equipped with Brembos - something prospective R buyers need to consider. This combined with the fact that the torque converter in the ZF unit is fairly robust, lead to my reasoning. FYI the ZF unit, with updated electronics, was used with the next gen XK with the paddle shifters, I am not sure if the 5.0 liter carried it over.

Fortunately I am committed to this car forever - I was lucky/stupid enough to buy it new and I am putting a reserve fund together for maintenance, repair and modifications.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

When using the manual shifting technique, do you let up on the gas at all when up-shifting or is this unnecessary for a smooth and safe shift?

Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

It's an automatic transmission. You don't need to let up on the gas. It's just getting the input for the shift point from your hand, rather than from the computer.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to blip the gas on down-shifting particularly if the revs are a bit on the high side. You don't feel the change !
George