XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric / Fuse Box help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 119 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Electric / Fuse Box help!

Hi Lads, I was trying to find the dome or interior lights fuse when I found this.
Is the passenger fuse box, Jag XKR 2006 convertible (produced in 2005).
Any idea what can it be?
All the rest of the things are working properly so I don't know th reason of suck a stupid fixing.

By the way, which of those is the interior lights fuse?

thanks!
John

Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Should not be difficult to trace it out. Do you know of any modifications one might have done to the car?

The following users liked this post:
SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

John, don't take the wrong way, you do realize that aPO tapped into the fuse box to power something he/she added on, right ?

Btw, I wouldn't trust that they were smart enough to tap into the "fused" side of the fuse connection [fuse has 2 prongs, one plugs into hot battery side, the other prong provides safe fused power source]. I'd check to be sure.

John

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

So, someone's taken 'always B+' from F1 (passenger seat control module)
and 'B+ at ignition Aux' onward from F20 (Cigar lighter).

It it were me, I'd cut the two wires and deal with whatever stops working. I'm with Johnken: this is how fires start. If the additional wires aren't on the correct side of those fuses then the next one in line is 250A

For the missing internal lighting, check F7 (15A) in the driver's side fascia box. It feeds lighting B+ to the BPM.

HTH,
Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Johnken (01-08-2017), SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am not one that would sit easy with a rig like that. I would start chasing it down and make the necessary repairs as it should be.

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Same here...these cars are delicate enough with stock electrics without dodgy stuff like that on board.

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh
and 'B+ at ignition Aux' onward from F20 (Cigar lighter)
Doh! that should read F14.

M

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

+1

it's a nightmare just waiting to happen - trace it & fix it before it does

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Hi Lads, thanks so much for your kind help. I do agree with all of you.
1. Should I disconnect the battery before cutting those wires?
2. Do you know any jaguar expert in Miami, just in case? :-)

Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Should I disconnect the battery before cutting those wires?
You could also just unplug these things, and replace them with standard fuses. They are available just about everywhere (Walmart, Advance, etc.), including a few spares under the lid of the fuse box in the trunk. There is a tool there as well to help pull them out. This would let you try your car without committing to anything. Worst case, you can put these fuse/wires back.

Separately, FWIW, it does not look that terrible of a job to me. There are lots of other ways to hack the wiring for power that does not require fishing wires all the way back to the fuse box. Arguably, someone was trying here. You might want to try and figure out what device is attached to this before taking it out. I can think of a Bluetooth adapter, or a radar detector, possibly even some form of satellite or HD radio. I believe Jaguar also had (rare) options like a glove box rechargeable flashlight, and an auxiliary power socket. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you find. Have you ever been intrigued by a strange beeping at startup, of have you found any type of small display hidden in the console or between the seats? There is also an off chance the device was removed long ago, and the wires were left behind I suppose.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Fmertz, thanks for your comment. Very clear. The car had one owner until dec 2016. Since new, was serviced by Aston Martin Orlando, I have all the records of the visiting Aston Martin Dealer every time the owners manual recommended.

That's why I was a little confused when I found that. You wont be paying big money servicing your car at Aston Martin and then fixing it like that. I was just something strange. Besides, everything else works properly (expect the internal lights that someone else told me that are not in that fuse box, but in the other side).

The car still has an antenna (front/up part of the windshield), with a broad wire that goes straight to the same place I found those wires. I'll take a picture of it.

I was considering calling Aston Martin Orlando and see if they know what are those wires for. Do you think they will answer my questions if I demonstrate ownership of the car? (the car was serviced there last year, so I suppose they remember the car).

Thanks again!
John

Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Good first step.

I was considering calling Aston Martin Orlando and see if they know what are those wires for.

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The car still has an antenna (front/up part of the windshield), with a broad wire that goes straight to the same place I found those wires. I'll take a picture of it.
Hmm, that's different. Are you sure it is an antenna? From memory, I believe some cars came with a front windshield defroster. I know nothing about it, really, but I believe it comes up as an option when folks have their windshield replaced. Separately, AM antennas are typically around the perimeter of the back window...

I was considering calling Aston Martin Orlando and see if they know what are those wires for. Do you think they will answer my questions if I demonstrate ownership of the car? (the car was serviced there last year, so I suppose they remember the car).
When I was doing research before locating my car, I found that service departments were readily able to share information about a car, based on VIN, even if they were not the ones selling the car. I was trying to be mindful of their time on a "free" call, and only displayed interest about the car, obviously. No proof of anything required. You will have better luck if you ask for the service manager assigned to this car, if he/she is still around, and call outside of normal drop-off or pickup time when they are most busy.

SirJohn (01-10-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Ok lads, so finally I checked the fuse F7 and was not working. So changed the fuse and voilá! Everything that was not working now it's working and the fuse didn't broke again. All the rest of the fuses are ok. So electrically talking problem solved. Tomorrow I will call to Aston Martin Orlando just to ask them if they know what are those wires in the fuse box for. On the other side, here I'm attaching a picture of the THING that seems to be connected to those weird wires, the brand is (apparently) AS.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If that is on the glass it looks like a cell phone antenna.

SirJohn (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:22 PM

Well, as per what I was researching it is apparently a VHF radio. But not sure yet. Thanks Gus.