XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical ESP

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electrical ESP

I have tried to replace my OEM high beam light bulbs with a set of aftermarket blue bulbs of higher wattage. After removing the OEM bulbs and replacing them (to the horrific distress inflicted on my hands) with the new bulbs, they didn't work!!!!! I removed the bulbs and confirmed that they functioned in my truck. I put the old bulbs back in (ouch, wimmper, cry) and they were just fine. So, does the Jaguar know when you fiddle with it, does it have a soul? Can it be tricked?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here we are again - am I the only forum member trying to keep my beauty original?

These things were designed and built as very unified machines - and left alone, people tell me that they are very, very dependble (forum experience not withstanding.)

I'm all for "fixing" the tensioners, the water pump/thermostat, and hydraulic top pressure known weaknesses, etc., but why are we tempting fate (and upsetting the computers that run the systems) with cosmetic alterations.

I love my car - just the way it is! DaleD

Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is the ghost of Sir Wm Lyons who does not like us modifying his cars. I swear he was haunting my XJ6 for a while. My car would unexpectedly lock itself and roll up the windows. It did it most when I was driving it, but once while it was in my driveway with the keys in it. I finally figured out that it only did it on really hot days and when the sun was hitting directly on the drivers door. I lived in Palm Springs at the time, so there were a lot of hot days. It seems that the sun was heating up the switch just enough that it was activating it like you had the key in the door.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 AM

I designed and built my house because I don't like cookie cutter motif. If Mozart felt that way there would be only one sonata, Ford did feel that way--good grief!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 AM

And I'm willing to bet Sir Wm Lyons would love the effect of the ghostly green neon glow tubes under the car. At night it looks like it's floating on a cloud ofKryptonite. Lana Lane watch out.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Future collectors will appreciate folks like Dale who kept their cars untouched.

I for one thinks we all should all enjoy these cars in the way that gives us the most satisfaction. Keeping them true is the right way for Dale. I feel, as great as they are, these cars are in many ways a product of corporate compromises, and we should improve on them in ways that please us. Some of us are engineers (in reality or spirit) and love the challenge and satisfaction of making improvements. If we do, we should not be afraid of the complex electronics or 'system' aspect of these cars, but we should be prepared for the occasional surprise.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-15-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Future collectors will appreciate folks like Dale who kept their cars untouched.
Uhm, I like my car and all, but I've got no delusions about it ever becoming a collectible when so many (and so many in Carnival Red) were made. Besides, even if it is collectable, I bought it for me, not the next guy. Would love to hear how the headlight mod turns out. It can't be the first time someone wanted to put different bulbs in there.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Given enough time, just about everything becomes collectible. I am not advocating worrying about the next owner.

The point of my last post is that we each have a different way of enjoying these cars. I just think we should just respect that in each other, whether we keep them stock, add just a few tasteful mods or pimp them out.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-15-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rweber
And I'm willing to bet Sir Wm Lyons would love the effect of the ghostly green neon glow tubes under the car. At night it looks like it's floating on a cloud ofKryptonite. Lana Lane watch out.
Hey gang - I hope everyone realizes that I am laughing at all of of us in this discussion! Of course, we all buy and admire these vehicles for different reasons - and that our expectations (financial, social, etc.) of ownership is different. However, we are all dedicated - and very serious!

As I read the above, I have to think that the color green described is much like that of Sir Wm Lions as might be compared to the color of an internal bodily fluid thrown up in horror! I hope not! Best, DaleD

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I changed out the high beams in my 2003 with no problem. I used HIR lamps (not HID, there's a difference. google it) and they are much brighter. Perhaps you blew a fuse when replacing the lamps. I's start there. Then put in the originals and see if they work.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 AM

no did not blow a fuse, old bulbs worked fine. These lamps are HID but they draw only 35 watts instead of 65 watts and the car may sence a open circuit. The other thing may be that the ballast is kaput, I only tried a different bulb not a different ballast. I looked at the HIR bulbs, but they are only available with 90 degree bases, the XK uses straight bases. Oh sure thay can be fitted but it destroys the back of your hands doing it. Now maybe if I had a backseat midget, hmmmm.
To answer some other peoples concerns, changing light bulbs has nothing to do with keeping the car original, even HID's don't change the car because they can be unpluged and replaced with 9005's at will.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

It was a little tricky getting the 90 degree HIR bulbs to fit, but it's doable. The problem with HID high beams is that HIDs take a minute or two to warm up to full brightness. Usually high beams are on intermittently because of oncoming traffic and they never get up to full brightness before you have to dim them again.

Having said that, if you think the ballast is bad just wire it directly to the battery and see if the bulb lights up.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm going to wire it directly to my battery charger, I don't think it is smart enough to throw a code. On that note, the car didn't respond to having a light out when the HID was connected, I would think if something was wrong it would have.