XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Fault problem - flashing warning light

Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Fault problem - flashing warning light

Hi, I have a poblem with the electrical fault light in my 2002 XKR. I had it into the Jaguar service depatement in Minneapolis, with no luck, other than a new battery. It was still flashing on and off when I left the shop to come home. I went back and told them it was still flashing on and off.They told me they did not know what I was referring to. They looked at it agan and said itdid not flash for them. It flashes when I drive the car.
This electric fault indicator flashes on and off with no particular pattern, it will do it when the car is cold, when the car is warmed up....the car runs just fine...any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
thanks!!
Jackie

Last edited by GGG; 09-13-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: add fault description
Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jackie,

I've moved your post from Forum Advice / Feedback Centre to the XK8/XKR section to get help and advice from members with the same model.

Can you be a bit more precise on the warning light? If it's in the Message Centre at the bottom of the speedometer, what does it say? If it's one of the many other warning lights in the Instrument Pack, what is the colour and what does the graphic look like?

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 09-13-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 PM

thanks for the help with this!..

In the message center it flashes on and off, where the mileage and all the other assorted messages appear...there is a yellow oval light, the text appears in green lettering....it flases on for a moment and then off it goes...sometimes its 20 minutes bewtween flashes, sometimes it flashes very few seconds....dosent matter if its a cold or hot engine....
the car is a 2002, 47,800 miles on it...

The windows and top were acting up, I had an engine light on,along with the electrical fault message, took it into the dealer in Mpls, told them about the electrical falut message , spend alot of hrs there yesterday, they put a new battery in....scratched their heads at the electrical fault message, one said hed never heard of such a thing..
I kinda wonder if there is a fuse issue?...everything seems to be working alright...windows, top, ect....relay maybe?, alternator?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM
GGG

You appear to have had many the problems associated with a failing battery. The new battery should have made the hood and windows operate properly again.

Now for the intermittent flashing warning light. Is it this yellow oval:

Name:  ABS.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  2.4 KB

This is the one for AntiLock Braking System.

If it is this one, I'll explain why it's flashing. If it's not this one, I'll find a graphic of all the warning lights and we can go from there.

Graham

Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM

No, that's what my vanden plas does!!!lol
This is in the message center where the mileage info is displayed...the text is green the bar is yellow, not red like when it says engine coolant low....thanks for your help on this! Oh and yes the battery fixed the window/ top
Problem. The car runs great .

Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 AM
GGG

A VDP with problems too - it gets worse! Hope the pickup is running OK.

Here's the Instrument Pack with all the Warning Lights:

Is it the Amber light (arrowed in red) that's lit together with green text in the Message Centre (arrowed in blue)?

If so, what does the message say?

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Electrical Fault problem - flashing warning light-xk8-instrument-pack-warning-lights.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I am almost certain she is referring to the amber warning 'oval' and the electrical fault message text appearing below it. I've had that happen one time, in stop and go traffic, while manually shifting the gear box...so I stopped that in a jiffy. I hate electrical faults. Nothing ever happened again, so I can't say I found why mine gave me that message in those conditions. sorry.

What others will probably recommend is going to all of your primary grounding points..in the boot, in the engine, in every fuse box, making sure all hot and ground connections are tight. If you want the electrical schematic with those key locations, we can probably get them up here on a PDF for you, and you can take these to any independent mechanic...no reason to go jaguar, especially if they didn't take that path as part of their diagnosis. Of course, a battery would be my first response also with your random system failures and unpredictable messages.