XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Fault, Stability Fault, Traction Fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to double check the engine codes today and found the transmission fault is no longer there. There are no engine codes either. Of course, the traction/stability warning still exists. Engine runs beautifully, and taking it on a short trip didn't reveal any problems with transmission sound or feel. This gives me a bit of hope back. Thanks for the suggestion before I gave up on poor Brutus. Now I have to find someone to help me with pulling the ABS controller so I can re-soldier it. Then I'll work on his interior and exterior. If anyone has any suggestions in Northern Virginia, I'd be very happy to hear them.

The whole thing is pretty amusing, as husband shrugs his shoulders and asks me what I'm going to do with the car THIS time.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Oh, and a follow on - I'm using the Automatic tool for checking engine codes, but saw something about an OE-type tool that could give me information on the ABS module itself. Is that correct? Can anyone recommend that I should look for re: an OE type tool? As always, your help is MOST appreciated!

Old 03-30-2019, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 'Automatic' tool but most of the generic OBDII stuff won't read the proprietary codes. There are tools available: Autoingenuity, British diagnostics, etc. but they cost rather more and each seems to have its own quirks. Be guided by the folks here if you choose to follow that route.

Perhaps post in the relevant regional forum for recommendations on a good Jaguar Independent who can read the Jaguar codes? That will help to determine whether it is indeed the ABS module or a problem with one of the sensors/wiring.

Here's a pdf with the ABS codes:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ABSM2098.PDF (17.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Thank you. Shall do. I may have a handle on a rebuilt ABS module that would save me a lot of time and effort. Hopefully that comes through, but if not I'll go directly to my local.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Default SO HAPPY!

The ABS module came through. We installed it today. Brutus starts up with no warning lights! Now I will take him to the local shop for a transmission fluid flush and replace, order some new wiper blades, and investigate paint shops in the Northern Virginia area. If anyone happens to know of any, please let me know. YES! Still some spring/summer left to take advantage of.

The following 3 users liked this post by ooblick:
DavidYau (05-27-2019), GroovyMom (04-30-2019), michaelh (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Good news - glad he's back on form

Do make sure the shop knows the fluid requirements and fill procedure for this transmission. LT71141 or ZF Lifeguard 5 are the only 'approved' fluids (LOTS of debate on this), although there are others available in the US meeting the specifications:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1575077

Old 04-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Good news - glad he's back on form

Do make sure the shop knows the fluid requirements and fill procedure for this transmission. LT71141 or ZF Lifeguard 5 are the only 'approved' fluids (LOTS of debate on this), although there are others available in the US meeting the specifications:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1575077
Thank you! It certainly won't hurt to tell them I want the "good stuff" and bringing a print out of this post with me. I may also check out the Jaguar only repair shop about an hour away for some of the other things I need to do with the car. I posted on the cracked wood that just recently appeared (wasn't there last week), finding a good quality paint shop, possibly redoing or at least having the carpets professionally cleaned, leather restored a bit, headlamp lens gaskets fixed so they don't look like I'm dragging bits of rubber around with me, new floor mats, and I'm hoping that will do it.

I couldn't have managed getting Brutus back to road worthy shape without this forum and the help everyone has given me. I truly appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default ABS done, next Transmission Fluid change, Cracked wood, paint

Congrats on the ABS fix, now onto the other jobs.

Be very sure of the ATF used for the change in transmission fluid. Heard some bad experiences.

I couldn’t find the recommended Lifeguard, Shell or Forum recommended Mercon SP. I went with LiquiMoly 1200. Also I put in the Transgo PR valve as a preventative measure. Cheap upgrade and you’re in that area doing the ATF change.

You have quite a To Do list. Well done and keep plugging away

The following users liked this post:
ooblick (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Default Low coolant warning could be just a bad float sensor in the tank

BTW you mentioned a low coolant warning.

Easy check, without removing it, as float engages a magnetic switch. Easy to use a magnet to check it

ooblick (04-21-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Refilled the coolant, jiggled things around a bit and went out to do about a 15 mile test drive. Good news is coolant light stayed off, Brutus handled beautifully, and still has all his happy fun speed and handling. Bad news is when he warmed up, the traction control button started sticking, causing intermittent loss of speedometer, flashing that the hand brake was on, and intermittent traction and stability control lights. Also, he needs his AC recharged. Also also, I need to find out why his sound system buzzes so badly. Could be vibrations in cabin, could be shot speakers.

So, oh great and fabulous Forum people whom I appreciate greatly.... what is the best way to unstick the Traction Control switch? I'll do a search on AC recharge and try to figure that part out. Looks like I also may need to take him into a sound shop.

But damn, I love driving this car.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Default Check music system for Brutus

Before you go to a garage for a new sound system for Brutus, do a few simple checks first. Easy DIY to check on a few possible problems.

Check out my thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eakers-214035/

Also easy to reach the trunk rack and clean the connections at the CD changer. Not sure if you have the premium sound amp, but cleaning that too won’t hurt.

ooblick (05-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had AC problems last year. My mechanic recommended a local shop.
They found multiple leaks and replaced various pipes..
No issue yet,and they gave me a 3 year warrantee on their work,, As long as you are happy with your mechanic and he can do the job, go with that..

My mechanic is totally trustworthy that is why he gets so much referral work,

Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Before you go to a garage for a new sound system for Brutus, do a few simple checks first. Easy DIY to check on a few possible problems.

Check out my thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eakers-214035/

Also easy to reach the trunk rack and clean the connections at the CD changer. Not sure if you have the premium sound amp, but cleaning that too won’t hurt.
Definitely great information, thank you! I'm now told by loving husband who installed the JVC radio in Brutus so I would have bluetooth, etc., that he removed the premium amp as it didn't work with the new radio! He never bothered to tell me. Also, when it was initially wired up, I could use the steering wheel buttons to control some of the functions. That stopped about 3rd drive in. At this point I'm almost tempted to put back the old system and find another solution.

Seems every time I check off something on the "fix Brutus" list, 2 new things come up :-)

Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jestocost
I had AC problems last year. My mechanic recommended a local shop.
They found multiple leaks and replaced various pipes..
No issue yet,and they gave me a 3 year warrantee on their work,, As long as you are happy with your mechanic and he can do the job, go with that..

My mechanic is totally trustworthy that is why he gets so much referral work,
This may definitely be a thing for me real soon now. I was going to try recharging using the recommended techniques and coolant without sealants, but may opt for the mechanic check instead.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hi ooblick,
I'm not sure that you have exorcised your ABS demons yet.
Did you ever get the codes read? ABS/TRAC and vehicle speed errors suggest there may still be a sensor/wiring issue somewhere.

If you replaced the battery last year then it should be good, but does the car stand a lot and do you have the battery on a tender (CTEK or similar)?

Old 05-26-2019, 05:22 PM

All demons seem to be exorcised for the moment. Brutus seems to be happy and fine, at least in the engine compartment. Still working on some of the interior niceties, and am also looking for a great paint shop. He's a handful but I'm glad I didn't give up on him.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ooblick
I know it's been awhile, but I've been super crazy busy with a new job, health issues, you know the drill. In any case, pulled the ECU, sent it to ASI, fast turn around, re-installed and started it up, got traction and stability faults, and engine coolant low. I've had a problem with the engine coolant low warning since perhaps year 3 of ownership, so I watch the temp gauge like a hawk. Traction and stability faults I figured were the ole ABS issue. I let it run for awhile, shut it down, plugged in the engine analyzer, restarted, and traction and stability faults went away. Engine coolant light remained, but ZERO ENGINE FAULTS! I'm on the right track!!!
If you're having problems with that coolant level low on my 97 xj6 if you put your hand and under the coolant tank push your sensor back up if it's loose at all it'll give you that light. For some reason once they come loose they don't want to stay back up in there you may want to try a little piece of foam rubber and under it to wedge it in there if it still doesn't stay up there. Hope it helps